Crochet Wedding bouquet?

If you're going for a fall wedding, what about doing pretty sprays of leaves instead of flowers? They make gorgeous silk leaves now, and I saw a picture once of a fall bride holding a boquet of them and it was warm but elegant.

:lol I probably would, lol thread is just so...intimidating....beautiful, but intimidating...I think I may go for it, just to test it out though. As I think I said before, anything I've tried in thread had been a total disaster. oh well practice makes perfect, right?

Do not let thread intimidate you. It is just smaller than yarn the process is not any different. Practice will definitely help you. I switch between the two often and am a lot slower when crocheting with thread but it is well worth the effort!

Run a search on the web for crocheted flowers, there are loads.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/flowers.php

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/flower.html

A lot of doily patterns that use flowers have the flower made up then attached to the doily so you could use those as well if you find something there you like better.

Definately crochet what you can, it is worth it and everyone will remember it. When one of my cousins got married years ago her mother crocheted baskets and also flowers to put in them in the wedding colors. They were used as centerpieces for some of the "special, family" tables. After the reception those who helped with the wedding were able to take one home as a keepsake. I still have mine.

if you are intimidated(sp) by using thread, do you have any friends or family that crochet that may be willing to help you make the flowers? Maybe if you offered to purchase the thread and found easy patterns to use? If you made single flowers, they could even be used to decorate the main cake. Just a few ideas.

Here is a pattern at Maggie's Crochet that all the flowers are made with WW yarn.

You could make the flowers in what ever color you like and they are really easy and take no time at all to make. I have this pattern.:hook

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Home/PA719_720%20_flower_shop_main.htm

Getting married in the fall, you want mums, carnations, sunflowers and such. You could also add some leaves, like Maple, oak and such.

What a wonderful idea and great keepsake! I agree you will have to be careful in picking patterns so as not to look cheap. Let us know what the results are and good luck. ( forgive me if this printed twice - computer glich )

• 6 months later...

If you want some crocheted flowers in your bouquet, how about you just make a few and mix it in with real flowers.

I got married 2 1/2 yrs ago and I still think about my bouquet. It will be the only time I will have such a perfect bouquet of the most amazing real flowers. I had 3 doz creme roses mixed with freshia and some green berry looking things. It's a girl thing I guess but I just adored my bouqet. I got married at 11am and I carried it around with me until about midnight. I couldn't put it down. So again, maybe mix a few crocheted ones in with some real ones.

I see this is kind of an old thread, so I don't know if the OP ever decided what to do for her bouquet... but you can do real flowers for cheap. For my outdoor wedding, I carried a bouquet of daisies, and each of my bridesmaids carried a smaller one. I can't remember what the total cost was, but I know it was under $150, might have even been under $100. You don't have to go with fancy flowers - you can't go much more simple than daisies, and everyone raved about how beautiful they were. :)

Same with me. I was able to buy my bouquet and for my bridesmaids for about $150.00. We used pink roses and stephanotis flowers. Stephanotis has the meaning "happiness in marriage."

The bouquets were stunning and I got alot of compliments about them!

Thanks for some wonderful suggestions in this thread. My DH and I are common law right now and he's been bugging me about when we're getting married. Especially since my uncle's wedding on the weekend. So frustrated was I from him and the family asking me the same question, I finally told them all that the day I finish crocheting my wedding dress is the year I'll marry him. With all the ideas in this thread, I feel confident I'll have the wedding of my dreams.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Archived