Crochet Wedding bouquet?

I'm supposed to get married sometime within the next year and I was thinking of crocheting my bouquet and my bride's maids' bouquets...now I have two questions,

1. Would this seem cheap/cheesy? :blush

2. Does anyone know of any nice flower patterns that aren't in thread?:think

Just wanted the opinions of all you wonderful ladies(and gents!) here.

thanks alot!

p.s. Since the wedding is to be in the fall I wanted fall type colors, red, orange, gold, honey brown

very deep and vibrant

I crocheted flowers out of thread for my Grand-daughters dresses for the June wedding of my Daughter. I looked and looked and found that the best looking flowers were crocheted in thread. Here are a few picutres of what I did. The girls picture did not come out so well and the flowers I just scaned tonight, they have been in a bag sience the wedding and could use a good starching and shaping done to them. But it will give you an idea of what it could look like.

If you have time why not learn to crochet with thread and do your flowers for your wedding justice.weddingflowerscropped.jpgcodysweding2.jpg

oneweddingflowercropped.jpg

Sorry about the size it is late.

Lynda

Those flowers are beautiful Lynda! You did a wonderful job. I love to crochet and to see all things that are crocheted....Krystal, Congratulations on your engagement! I hope you and your fiance will be very happy.....but in my honest opinion....I would go with real flowers on your wedding day if the ceremony will be very formal.....on the other hand if you are having a casual ceremony the crocheted bouquets will look so sweet and be a wonderful keepsake!Perhaps you could crochet something else, like the garter or the ring bearer's pillow.....even gifts for your guests.

I do floral design for weddings and I think using crochet flowers would be beautiful! Defintely not cheap or cheesy. There were some in the crochet me site, iwill look for the link and post back. Great idea, I bet what ever you do, it will be beautiful!

Ok, I can't find those at crochet me, they were thread anyhow. But if you found a attern you liked, you could use a small hook like an E or F and use the baby yarn, the thin stuff, here's an actual crocheted bouquet on this link, it's thread, but it is an idea of a crocheted bouquet. Hope this helps. it's a pdf page.

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/Bridal_Bouquet.pdf

I do floral design for weddings and I think using crochet flowers would be beautiful! Defintely not cheap or cheesy. There were some in the crochet me site, iwill look for the link and post back. Great idea, I bet what ever you do, it will be beautiful!

Ok, I can't find those at crochet me, they were thread anyhow. But if you found a attern you liked, you could use a small hook like an E or F and use the baby yarn, the thin stuff, here's an actual crocheted bouquet on this link, it's thread, but it is an idea of a crocheted bouquet. Hope this helps. it's a pdf page.

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/Bridal_Bouquet.pdf

I saw that bouquet and thought it was very pretty...I also really really like the flowers that rcvanilla made they are beautiful! I could try to learn thread...just everytime I try it, it seems to come out horrible and I'm afraid of that. I kind of like the idea of making the ring bearer's pillow. I'm just trying to think of ways to cut costs, since my fiance and i have to pay for it all on our own. Luckily, we found a hall at a reasonable price that will let us decorate however we want. I've been reading a book called "how to have a big wedding on a small budget" and some of the ideas...are....unique i guess is a good word. It suggests to save on the cake, frost some of those round styrofoam things and have family members "donate" sheet cakes that they make at home. Sorry for rambling, I have a lot on my mind lately.

And thanks for your input everybody. I'll let you know when I make a final decision.

Skip the styrofoam cake thing. Sounds tacky.

Either make cupcake and display beautiufully (this is really big right now) or splurge on a very small and beautiful wedding cake but server sheet cake (or cupcakes) from the back. This is done all the time to save on money and guests really don't usually know.

Either way is just as inexpensive but much better looking. :)

Skip the styrofoam cake thing. Sounds tacky.

Either make cupcake and display beautiufully (this is really big right now) or splurge on a very small and beautiful wedding cake but server sheet cake (or cupcakes) from the back. This is done all the time to save on money and guests really don't usually know.

Either way is just as inexpensive but much better looking. :)

I wasn't planning on doing that for exactly the same reason..seems tacky. I just put it in there as kind of a joke i guess lol maybe i shoulda put this little guy in there>:lol lol Once again, I am lucky enough to have a bakery that my family has been going to for years and they will do my cake for about half of what every other place I've been to is asking for. One place wanted $1000 for a cake:eek I thought that was crazy...or is that normal? I'm new to this wedding stuff so bear with me lol

I know your feeling! I was lucky that I knew a baker, so she made my cake for the cost of the "hardware" (the teirs plates). It was very simple - three teirs with white frosting and not a lot of "froofroo", and then we used petals from the flowers to decorate the cake and it looked awesome.

For the flowers, I did them all - even the boutineers (it's too early to spell, sorry). Well, my MOH helped, some :-) We practiced the week before on a simple bouquet and boutineer to make sure we knew what we were doing, and then I stopped by Sam's Club (yes, Sam's club!) and bought all of my flowers the day before the wedding (luckily, I wanted roses). My bouquet was two dozen large roses (cost - $15), my MOH had two dozen sweetheart roses (I bought two bundles of 2 dozen each for $8 each), and the other bundle went for corsages, boutineers, and a "tossing" bouquet. Add in some ribbon and florist tape and all of the flowers still cost under $50 and a few hours the day before and about half an hour the morning of.

Weddings can be crazy, but they don't have to be.

Congratulations on your engagement!

You know, no one says you have to have a bouquet.....if you want to do it up a bit cheaper, you can carry one single rose, or I have seen Brides who carry lacy fans with ribbons and a few roses on them.....your attendents could carry smaller versions of these and they are easy to make, you could probably make them yourself!

Krystal,

rcvanilla's thread flowers are gorgeous!! and the bridal bouquet looks great too! but if you want to carry something else, you've already gotten excellent advice here.

As far as the other ways to save a bit on your wedding, I helped my neice and you can save - and have fun at the same time. The following things are easy to make: the ringbearer's pillow; the bride's garter (if you plan to wear one); place cards if you need them (on your computer). And you can also address the invitation envelopes using a fancy font on your computer.

And best wishes on your engagement.

Ann

I do think that any flowers would have to be made in thread. It really would be tacky in WW yarn and I speak as someone who loves and makes flowers in WW for hats and such.

However, you might make the "What not to crochet" website if you go with yarn. :rofl

I do think that any flowers would have to be made in thread. It really would be tacky in WW yarn and I speak as someone who loves and makes flowers in WW for hats and such.

However, you might make the "What not to crochet" website if you go with yarn. :rofl

:lol I probably would, lol thread is just so...intimidating....beautiful, but intimidating...I think I may go for it, just to test it out though. As I think I said before, anything I've tried in thread had been a total disaster. oh well practice makes perfect, right?

My bouquet cost $500 and it was horrible... the wrong flowers, it was too small, and the florist put it on one of those horrid pie plate things... I hated, hated, hated my bouquet!!! Unfortunately the florist was a family friend so I couldn't even tell him how much I hated the flowers... I just had to live with it.

This florist makes floats for the Rose Parade every year and is a VERY reputable florist...

My point? Making it yourself... you'll spend less $$ and you're guaranteed to get something YOU want. Spending a boatload of cash on a famous guy is sure to leave you miserable and staring at a bunch of ugly floral arrangements. :D

Yeah, I'd like to reiterate this... crocheting your own flowers is SUCH a better way to go! I just called my mom, she said the total florist bill was over $5,000 and NONE of the arrangements were what we wanted... not just my bouquet. Centerpieces, boutonnières, altar pieces, etc. I wanted blue hydrangeas and cream roses, and all the flowers were white. Grrr.

I'm getting way too mad about something that happened last May, aren't I? Grrr...

I bought my bouquet, bridesmaids bouquets. boutinnieres, and a small basket arrangement from the grocery i worked at. Still cost $250.00, and some of the things weren't there. I rented my alter arraingements. And my aunt and uncle cut beautiful pieces of magnolia branches and flowers from their trees in their yard.

Krystal,. I agree with Kate in doing your own. I had a beautiful wedding on a shoestring. I ordered all my flowers from freshroses.com - super website, they give you lots of tips and hints on purchasing etc. (and talk about gorgeous! My mom, mother in law and sisters all sat in the basement of the church and put together all the bouquets and corsages. They had a ball!! My mother paid an old family friend $50 to do my cake.. (turned out horrible) but that's another story. My mother and I sewed the bridesmaid dresses, and I bought my gown off Ebay! I think with careful planning you can cut corners and still have an elegant event.

I like the idea of thread flowers, especially the corsages and such so the special guests have something to take home with them and keep :)

Archived