I've been MALLED!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the mall today to do some Christmas shopping. Now let me tell you the Mall is someplace I try to avoid so I don't go very often and the last time I was there was about 8 months ago.

Now ,you may ask what this has to do with "Other Crochet Topics"? I can't begin to tell you how many Crochet items I saw there. Store after store full of all kinds of different products and most of it in the very trendy teen stores. For example, Anthropologie (here is a link to their on line store) http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

They had all kinds of sweaters, dresses, home accessories that were crocheted. This stuff was EXPENSIVE! and not nearly as nice as some of the stuff I've seen posted here. Take a look at this throw http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=13431&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=385&iMainCat=369

All hcd in very thick almost like roving wool. But it sells for $198.00.

They don't show most of their clothing I saw at the on their site but there was a beautiful crocheted thread dress that was To Die For! at a wopping $188.00.

Then I was in the Macys handbag dept and do you know that almost every Handbag designer had at least one crocheted bag in their line. I was going nuts thinking to myself "Oh I could do this and it would be so much better in this or that color":lol

Ladies and Gentlemen we are in the middle of a crochet bonanza! We need to take advantage and be proud to show and wear our craft. People are paying big bucks for things we whip up in our spare time because they don't know how to do it :P

Yes, I'm a Crochet Nerd and Proud of It! :yes

That throw you gave a link to is hideous and I don't say that about many crocheted items. What makes me curious about all these shops having crocheted items is how do they mass produce them? If it's a machine, then I could understand the poor quality but I've seen some pieces with very intricate stitching. Methinks I shall look into that more.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

crocheters unite!!!!!

I think we start a crochetville fair. We could all get together and not only meet, and see everyones creations first hand, but sell our stuff!!!!!!! if its that hot, we could put our hobbies to use!!!???? I know, its a dream, but I can dream cant I?

Dreams are good to have Angt. I know I've always thought about selling my creations but don't have a clue on how to go about it. For now I'm happy making stuff that my friends and family love to wear. Although, the idea of a Village Fair sounds like a lot of fun.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I won't sell things right now for a few reasons: (1) I'm not that good yet (however, I've seen things people I know bought at craft fairs, and they're simple, like the double-crochet scarf my SIL has). (2) I have a day job, which pays me pretty decently, so that's priority. (3) I'd begin to hate having to meet deadlines, and crochet is a hobby which I do to relax. (4) It takes so much time to make thing that I don't think I'd earn enough to be worth my time.

For example, a scarf takes a few hours to make (say 3-4 for kicks and giggles). I have to subtract the cost of the yarn. OK, so I charge $20 for it at a fair, which is probably all I could get for it around here. People are tighter than bark on a tree. Subtracting the yarn cost, say $5 if using RHSS or Caron SS, that leaves $15. I'm only making $5 an hour if I made it in 3 hours. Then, unless I just take cash only and don't report it on taxes, I have approximately $3/hour left. And I haven't even factored in the gas and booth registration costs to even be at the crafts fair.

So for me, it's just gotta be a hobby, which is fine. Too much hassle with little return on the investment for me. Of course, I'd have to get much better before I flatter myself that anyone would pay for my stuff anyhow!

Cindy, it isn't even just that. You have to ENJOY going to craft fairs as a seller. :smilingI don't. My sisters do though and one is currently selling doll clothing she's made. I've promised her a few items for her booth next year just to add a little variety, and perhaps help support my hobbies a little bit. Heck, I don't crochet for friends either :grump (unless I'm specifically making a gift). I hate deadlines.

Stephanie

I have done some crocheting for money but it always ends up being more of a job then a relaxing hobby:eek You either end up making the same thing over & over or your doing what someone else wants you to make instead of what you want to make. Not alot of money in it either versus the time spent. I mainly crochet for family & friends.

I've noticed the exact same thing. I drive my husband crazy whenever we go into clothing stores b/c I'm always spotting crcheted items. I saw some $40 crochet scarves that I just KNEW I could recreate myself. It's funny b/c I never paid attention to these things until I started crocheting about 4 months ago.

The easiest way to sell your crocheted items and still enjoy your hobby is to hold a yearly garage sale. Then you don't have to worry about the price of gas, booth fees and you don't have to make the same thing over and over.

Stephanie, I've always spotted crocheted items in stores but never really paid attention to the prices. At least, not until my daughter came home wearing her friend's pink poncho that apparently cost $50 in the store and didn't have much yarn in it at all. Judging by the look of it, it took one skien of mohair yarn. Since my DD's friend stays here a lot and calls me Mom all the time, I told her the next time she wanted something fancy like that, just bring me the yarn and I'd make it better and cheaper.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I have done some crocheting for money but it always ends up being more of a job then a relaxing hobby:eek You either end up making the same thing over & over or your doing what someone else wants you to make instead of what you want to make. Not alot of money in it either versus the time spent. I mainly crochet for family & friends.

I agree. I did a craft fair a few years back and took some orders. By the time I was finished making all of those Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles I would have killed the next kid that talked about them!

I have decided that if I ever do a craft fair again it will be to sell the stuff I have, not what anyone wants me to make for them. I will never take orders for things I don't want to make or end up making something so many times that I could scream again!

Even for friends and family, if they ask for something I sit and pick patterns with them. I do not want to sit and try to figure out something I just don't like. Is that being a brat? Probably but I figure it is my time and skill. If they want it completed in this century, pick something I like too.

Here's how I approach selling my crochet items. :

1: You will never get "what it's worth". I sell items just because I would have too much stuff too keep or give away if I didn't.

2. When doing craft fairs I'll offer "specials". Scrafs and hats are priced $.00 each, but I'll sell 2 for $30.00

3. I have "cheapies" Use yarn left over from other projects to make hair scrunchies and chockers. These go for $2 to $5 . One round scrunchies are 75 cents...gives little girls something to buy with "their own money"

5. Buy as much yarn as possible at places like Big Lots. Reently my local Big Lots had Bernat, Paton, and Lion Brand fancy yarns for $1 a skein...this was the expensive stuff. My friend and I bought 100 skeins, these will go into scrafs, shrugs, hasts, for next year. My friend was even able to get 30 skien of a to do a coat for $30. I made a slouchy type shrug from some of this stuff, wore it to work and sold it off my back for $60.

6. If taking orders, only take orders for what you feel like making. Don't ever tell some one how much time it takes to make something. They always ask, but my answer is always" I do this in my spare time, so how long it takes will depend on how much time I have."

7. I know how much money I want for crocheting while watching dvds/tv/listening to music, so I offer 2 prices. one price if I have to supply the yarn: this includes the cost of the yarn and whatever I feel like adding to it for shopping for the yarn. A second price if the customer supplies the yarn. Most people will opt to buy the yarn themselves after getting a crash coarse in "what to buy".

Just as an aside: There is no crochet machine. Crochet has to be done by had. That's why some of the items are so very expensie, companies also have to cover overhead cost that the hobby crocheter doesn't have. Companies that are selling crochet items cheap ( hats at Walmart for $6) are having them produced overseas at what we would consider "slave labor wages". Some of the items being sold that look like they are crocheted aren't. I've seen lots that are actually done in stitches that resemble crochet but are really knit.

Do I make lots of money selling my things. No. I make enough to keep me in yarn , to enable me to continue crocheting and to allow me to make things I might not otherwise do:I can take a chance and 'TRY SOMETHING" If I don't like it when it's finished, I can always try and sell it. And it's really good for the ego when people buy what I make.

My friend and I did a craft show recently. We had the most sales of anyone in the room we were in. We even had other vendors buying from us. It was great fun.

Archived