Bedspread Bonanza

JulieKay

Ugh...I just lost my post - I think.

Anyway, I also printed out "chocolate dreams"...anyone have a suggestion re color choice? My Mediterranean furniture (I know, it dates me) is dark, beige carpet, sage and antique gold drapes, beige sheers. My headboard consists of a dark paneled wall....

And I'm not going anywhere near a craft store till after Christmas!! It's a zoo here in New Jersey!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tabby,

I really, really like the pattern that you picked (:manyheart). I was going to pick it too because it is very pretty (:c9) but not too girly for my hubby. But this line (following GAUGE) made me decide to pass it by: "For single size spread about 74 x 108 inches, make 11 x 16 motifs; for double size spread about 94 x 108 inches, make 14 x 16 motifs." The GAUGE info describes each motif as 6 and 1/4 inches in diameter.

Still a bit rusty at reading instructions - :think.

Ugh...I just lost my post - I think.

Anyway, I also printed out "chocolate dreams"...anyone have a suggestion re color choice? My Mediterranean furniture (I know, it dates me) is dark, beige carpet, sage and antique gold drapes, beige sheers. My headboard consists of a dark paneled wall....

And I'm not going anywhere near a craft store till after Christmas!! It's a zoo here in New Jersey!!

A rich wine colour would go well with your Spanish - still one of my fave styles btw.

It would also provide lively interest with Sage green creating a complementary colour scheme.

HiYa Wendy

The square is actually closer to 13- 14 inches . I did some changing on the leaves- rather than adding more, I found a pattern for a different one and only put one on rather than 2 . I may kinda stagger them around throughout the pattern like that . Not sure yet - anyhow ,here's an updated picture .

th_100_2942.jpg

I agree that it might not make the best use of your pattern if you bring in too many colours to compete with your central floral motif. I could see different colours for the flowers - that could be really pretty.

To each his own of course but it would be a shame to do all that and then hate it...

I made twin size coverlet years ago, using this same idea...scraps made up the flowers in the middle, but the rest of each hexagon was white as was the entire border. It looks pretty - and not too busy.:hook

Hidey Ho ladies

Here is a photo of my first square. Background is done in soft white, the flower is a rose color and the green is light sage. Waddya think ?

Good, Bad or Ugly ?

th_100_2940.jpg

Beautiful! Where did you get the pattern?

Julie~That's beautiful. I love the little flower & the leaves. Good Luck! :cheer

I do plan on making one of my motifs with scrap yarn that I have laying aroud just to see how it will look done in ww yarn. We'll see, i'm still sewing up that sweater. :eek

Hi Wendy- the square is done in rounds . It's very simple, kinda like a granny square, only not as holey . I like the 2nd leaf better too.

Thanks Melissa- yep, it's country rose. It looks a little dark in the picture, but it's not quite that dark in person .

Judi- here's the link for the square - http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/patterns/BobbysSquare.asp

I just went to CPC and looked up flower patterns to find a small flower and leaf that I liked .

Thanks, Tabby- I'll be excited to see your first motif worked up in yarn .

Butterfly- yep , the official start date is the first, but feel free to start whenever you want ! You are sure welcome . :)

I bought my yarn this morning. I picked up pale yellow for the flower and Light Sage for the leaves. The rest will be done in Aran. Whic I had a ton of that on hand. So I am all ready to get started. I might make my first square this afternoon.

A rich wine colour would go well with your Spanish - still one of my fave styles btw.

It would also provide lively interest with Sage green creating a complementary colour scheme.

Thanks, Darski!:c9

I happen to love the reds - in any shade, so wine is perfect. The sage would work, too, with one of the square patterns I printed out - inspiration willcome when I hit the store!:hook

I did a sample square for the plain motif square from the rose bower bedspread. I'm not sure about this TLC baby yarn in rocking horse. I think it makes the bedspread too busy looking. And the colors are a bit too bright and too juvenile looking (if you know what I mean, too little girl looking). Of course I am making it for a 5 year old girls bedroom. I want the bedspread to be something she'll use for a long time. I'm also thinking that I don't want to do the plain motif in a pale pink. There will just be too much pink in the room then. I think another trip back to Joann's is needed. But I'm not up to it yet.

Karin, it is a challenge when you are looking down the years and little ones just see the pink on the shelf Right Now!

I know what you mean though and about this time as well. Keep looking forward with this project. it will go off to college if you can just find all the parts :c9

Wow, I was wondering what I was going to do after Christmas, besides try to make a quick afghan for my father-in-law and my DH has been talking about me making a bedspread for our bed so this is a great excuse, plus when I was looking through the links I found the pattern to the last afghan my grandmother made. It is totally a no brainer...I will be doing that one.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/PopcornBS46.html

She did it in WW yarn and I think she did it with two strands, because it is really heavy and warm. I am so excited this totally made my day and I know I will be thinking of her while I make this. Thank you so much.

Wow, I was wondering what I was going to do after Christmas, besides try to make a quick afghan for my father-in-law and my DH has been talking about me making a bedspread for our bed so this is a great excuse, plus when I was looking through the links I found the pattern to the last afghan my grandmother made. It is totally a no brainer...I will be doing that one.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/PopcornBS46.html

She did it in WW yarn and I think she did it with two strands, because it is really heavy and warm. I am so excited this totally made my day and I know I will be thinking of her while I make this. Thank you so much.

Welcome to the Ville Jewel. That is so sweet that you were able to find the pattern that your Grandma made. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures as that is a nice square and is a bit tempting now that I see it.

So, have you decided on a colour?

Cranky - Welcome to you too. Can I ask what your name is, it sounds strange calling you cranky.

Ditto...also...where in NY? The city?:think

...from a former New Yorker...more years ago than I care to remember...

Archived