Bedspread Bonanza

JulieKay

Hey Tab, my old buddy !

Yep, that one is pretty , isn't it ? Hope you find the time to join in . :)

KnicKnac - I'm not familiar with that yarn ,but it sounds very nice. I'll be excited to see what you come up with .

Judy- Just take your time and browse through everything . There's plenty of time to make a decision . Wait til you see something that strikes your fancy, then you'll know it . Good luck !

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I am going with the Flower overlay for sure. I showed it to hubby and he likes it a lot. So I have picked. YEAH!! I am using a yellow for the flower, Aran for the border and a dark green. Maybe Dark Sage ???? I think I have enough Aran on hand so I won't need to buy that color. And I may have some yellow. I will have to look. If don't I will be going shopping soon. :D

Count me in!!! Hubby's been after me to make a bedspread and I've been putting it off. I was going to do it with thread :eek but maybe I'll do it with ww instead:scrachin . I haven't picked one yet or colors but will in the next few days. Hopefully this CAL will help me to actually finish something this big. :)

Julie, wow:yay I didnt know you had found so many patterns. I found it hard to decide which one to do, but I think I have settled on the rose bower bedspread. My colors will be cream, dark pink and green. I just have to get the wool now.

Is everyone going to do these patterns in wool(yarn) and if so what size hook are you all using. I thought I would do this in a H Hook but not sure.

Im glad to see so many people that want to do a bedspread.

Hello to you all.

Julie have you decided which one to do.

Aussie, I thought the same thing about the Bower. I don't know if I want flowers ALL over my bed without a break in between! :lol

Now here is the thing ... I have set myself a moratorium on buying yarn until I used up alot my stash - how am I going to justify this purchase???

:think

Well you could say its for a bedspread which is something you need not just something you want to make.

What colors are you going to use.

Also what time is it there. Isnt it really early in the morning there. Its 8pm Saturday night here.

Oh yeah, when I was here earlier is was about 4:20AM - I suffer with bouts of insomnia, and what better way to spend that time then on the 'Ville!

The colors most likely will be a sage, mauve and cream. I like your reasoning! :lol

Good morning, ladies !

It sounds like you are all making some decisions regarding patterns and colors. I can't wait to see some of the flower squares made up. I like the floral overlay plus the rose bower- they would both make really beautiful bedspreads and everyone's colors sound pretty too .

I will probably be going with ..........................hmmmmm. I thought I had my mind made up SORTA . I had it narrowed down to 2 ,but added a third one to the list. I like the chocolate dreams one a lot , but I also have been eyeing the popcorn bedspread pattern for a couple YEARS ,so it rates pretty high to me too, and I think the Spiral bedspread is just totally stunning looking . What a dilemma ... decisions, decisions ... Maybe I should try out each pattern to see which one seems do-able. The spiral one is SO pretty, but it may be pretty hard to do, not sure .

I know I am using aran and have bought all the store had ( which won't be enough, so will have to gather up some more when they get more in)

That will be another thing we will have to figure out as we go , for those choosing a thread pattern and switching it to yarn, is the amounts needed . It's a good thing a lot of yarn is no dye lot, that way, we can get more if needed .

Melissa

I am very excited to see your colors. I have been eyeing the yellow for a long time trying to figure out what I could make with it or what color would go with it, so I'll be anxious to see yours come to life !

Heather - you sound like me, I have wanted to make a bedspread FOREVER , but thread is not an option to me. I am just not good working with it . We'll see that you stay on task here and egg each other on, ok ?

Wendy and KnicKnac- it sounds like you two will be possibly doing the same one, so you'll have a work-along companion if you get stuck . :)

Knic--- As far as the buying yarn ..hmmm .. maybe you could say you deserve it . You have been a good girl this year . Ask Santa to get it for you . :D

KnicKnac- I here what you are saying. I'm trying to use up my stash too. But if I'm going to make a bedspread I need to buy yarn. I don't have enough to make one.

I'm thinking about trying to do the bedspread in a lighter weight yarn. Either baby or sport weight. I'm concerned about how heavy the bedspread might feel because it will be a queen sized one.

JulieKay- the big challenge for me will be to figure out how much yarn to buy. I'm thinking that I'll weight the skein of yarn before using it, make a few squares, and then weight the skein again. Then I'll be able to figure out how many ounces of yarn each square takes. Or maybe I'll just guess. Math has never been my strong point.:blush

Can I ask what size hook everyone is going to use.

I also am not sure how much yarn I will need. I have started a ripple ghan for my grandma for xmas. Yes I know Im leaving it rather late. Im using caron simply soft yarn that was given to me by my FGM and I love it, but we dont get it here in OZ so I guess it will be acrylic.

I was going to make my main color cream with pink flowers but my bedroom is mainly cream. I think I should really go with a marone color and have cream

flowers. Do you think this would look ok or would it be too much dark red.

As the title says, that's the pattern I'm going with. It's lacy, so the underlying comforter can show through...which is why I'll make it in either ecru or light sage. My room has tones of both. I'm leaning toward the ecru - in case the color scheme changes by the time I finish it... LOL. It's lacy and pretty.:c9

Now to measure my bed for 12 inch squares and take my birthday money to Michael's and look for inspiration - I may change the color to one completely different if something catches my eye!

Thanks for the idea, Julie!:clap

I was going to make my main color cream with pink flowers but my bedroom is mainly cream. I think I should really go with a marone color and have cream

flowers. Do you think this would look ok or would it be too much dark red.

I personally love marroon...it's a good anchor for the pink...IMHO, anyway!:hook

Karin - well, another idea might be to make as many squares as possible with one skein, then you'll know how many more you need based on that. The lighter weight yarn would be nice too, and would probably go further, do you think, since it's lighter weight but probably more yardage ? I'm not much of a math genius myself . :lol

Wendy- I'll be using an H hook also -- how about staggering the colors of the flowers-- have the cream background, then do one square with a pink flower and the next with a maroon, that way you'll have both colors in the flowers . Just an idea . :)

Judi- I'm glad you settled on a choice. Let us know how the shopping adventure goes and what you come home with !

I am probably going to use an "h" hook, it's the only one I have in the clover brand and it's perfect for doing long projects! :lol

I am trying to wrap this bower pattern around in my head. Color coordination has never been my strong suit but I have decided I don't want all the plain squares to be just one color, I would like a variety.

What do you all think? A two or three alternating pattern, but the flower motif being the same no matter what? Do you think that would look strange?

I am giving myself permission to buy yarn. I don't OFTEN make things for myself, and something like this is more of a necessity than a want. I would have had to buy a new bedspread anyway, KWIM???

What do you all think? A two or three alternating pattern, but the flower motif being the same no matter what? Do you think that would look strange?

I am giving myself permission to buy yarn. I don't OFTEN make things for myself, and something like this is more of a necessity than a want. I would have had to buy a new bedspread anyway, KWIM???

It might look strange with more colors...depends, though, on what the rest of your room looks like:think

...And I KWUM! You may as well have a bedspread you love!:yay

I agree that it might not make the best use of your pattern if you bring in too many colours to compete with your central floral motif. I could see different colours for the flowers - that could be really pretty.

To each his own of course but it would be a shame to do all that and then hate it...

I think I've decided to do the 12" sqs from Marlo's crochet along I think I'll do the feb. sq I don't know if I'm allowed to put the link I'm not real up on the do's and don'ts of links. :D

KnicKnac

I guess it might depend on the background colors you use. Do you have some different ones in mind ?

Wanda

Welcome to the gang ! We'd love to have you join in .

Heather- I know which square you mean-- that will make a nice afghan !

I'm half-tempted to also use my favorite 12 inch square pattern . I havent totally settled yet on what I want to do. Still thinking on colors and patterns . I was gonna do aran, but ended up buying plain white. I'm not real sure that will be my final answer yet either . Gotta think on it a little more . :)

Archived