Calling All Germans

Help help I am in need of a recipe for a sweet bread called "KRISPOTE" the closest I can come to spelling..My MIL is from Germany and was telling me about this bread..and how her mom made it when she was little and after she passed about 15 years ago no one has EVER made it. Thought it would be nice. Thanks in advance:hug

Anna, I'm at work now, but I can do some checking when I get home tonight. We're German, although my family came over from German occupied Russia, so our cooking may have been a bit different. I've got a couple of recipe books our family put together and I'll see if I come up with anything. Mom still makes some of the "old" recipes. Last Saturday I helped her roll out the dough and make Case Kniphla, which I dearly love.

I've emailed a friend of mine who just moved here from Berlin a little over a year ago. I'll let you know if he's got any ideas. . . . Hang in there - someone will know something!

This is what my German friend replied:

I have never heard of anything like that, but that must not mean, that it doesn’t exist, so I asked my German college, who is a master chef, besides our Budget Analyst. First he thought it might be something Jewish, but we looked it up and there is absolutely nothing to be found what comes even close to it.

The only thing I can imagine is a “Christ-Brot”, what is generally a name for Bread during Christmas time.

Sorry - I tried.

My immediate family was all from Germany... I am the first generation that was born in America. At Christmas time we always had Stollen. I did a google search for Christbrot (Christ is Christ or maybe short for Christmas? and brot=bread). Anyway I found this link:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/Stollen.htm

It seems to suggest that the 'Christbrot' is synonymous with Stollen.

Here's a recipe for it in English (scroll down on the page a bit):

http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/stollen.html

Hope this helps!

Joan

:cheer Well, I'm ready to make a Christ-Brot Stollen! :cheer I'm Danish, DH is Italian, I think a traditional German Stollen would fit right in. :yes The description and receipe just looks too good to pass up. . . . . :yay

Archived