joining granny squares

hi,i was wondering if anybody out there always sews their squares together,,or do you sometimes slip stitch them together,,,what if you have like 120..would it be too unsightly to sl st them??? i have always just sewn them together,,but this last one has me thinking...just wondering about anyone else's opinion....thanks everyone!!

I have never sewn my squares together. I usually join them on the last round of the square with whatever stitch I'm using. I have also made one afghan that I slip stitched the squares together with white (none of my squares on any white in them) first doing all the columns, then doing the rows, so they were continous stitching then in white I did one round of single crochet and then a final round of reverse single crochet.

I never sew them together. More to the point, I would not sew them together - just hate that .

I use single crochet most of the time - I try to make the sc work for me by how I organize the groupings.

I am considering trying the Tunisian joining now that I have perfected it.

I might be tempted to try join as you go but I like the portability of squares and you lose that if you join each one as it is made.

I always either slst or sc squares together..I just don't trust my sewing to stay in place...I actually made a blanket for my MIL for Xmas a few years ago and nearly all the seams have opened up b/c I sewed it. But I know when I crochet them together, they stay together LOL!!!

What I do is I will join 2 rows at the same time, working lengthwise. Then I join all those 2-row sections to each other, also lengthwise. That way, I have all the squares attached with long seams (helps with seam strength). Once I have all the lengthwise seaming done, I then work all the width-wise seams and then do a round or two around the entire piece for strength, stability & appearance of course LOL!! By working on 2 rows at a time, I find it goes much easier & faster...but if you are arranging the squares in a pattern, you have to have it written out how you need to attach them to each other or it can foul you up.

Jessie

Archived