Crocheting and tendinitis

Is it common to develop tendinitis from crocheting? I have never had a problem with tendinitis, until I started crocheting again....it also flares up when I do anything else repetitive, such as running the sweeper. Yesterday I crocheted for about an hour--two 1/2 hour sessions--and my arm was killing me!

Now that I have rediscovered the joys of crocheting, this seems sort of like a kick in the teeth. I know there's not much that can be done for it, aside from resting it (yeah, right, how do you rest your right arm when you are right handed? :think), and I hate to take TOO much ibuprofen....so has anyone had a similar experience, and a remedy??

I wish I had a remedy for you - I have been having a problem for MONTHS with tendonitis in my thumb where it meets the wrist. I have an appointment next week with the dr to see what he suggests. I just hate taking meds so it is almost impossible for me to take the quantities of motrin I have seen suggested. Other than that, from my research the only remedies are rest, steroid shots, or surgery. One of the questions I have for my dorctor is if it will get worse/give me permanent damage if I just live with the pain. I could crochet right now because the pain is not severe at all, in fact it is much better. But I decided to wait until I hear what my doctor has to say first. Good luck with your problem!

I thought it was arthritis in my shoulder and wrist on same side. I attribute mine to just restarting crocheting after 20 years as now being semi-retired I have time to crochet, but I think my posture has a lot to do with it too. As I have trifocals I sometimes have difficulty getting good distance corrections when doing hand work. If I know I have a block of time, I take the Ibuprofen at least a half hour before starting, or use at heating rub such as BenGay on my shoulder. I've thought about using a light ace wrap on my wrist but haven't tried it yet. Also wanted to try one of the comfort hooks or a hook with a larger hand grip. ------ anyone out there find a change of "hook grip size" to be helpful?

I'm pretty sure mine is tendinitis (in the elbow). My sister has it, and I asked her where it hurts; she pointed to the EXACT area where my pain is. I thought I was over the aches and pains--I had a bad bout of shoulder bursitis about two years ago (which is still aggravated by stuff like raking leaves/shoveling snow etc) but that is OK as long as I don't overdo. Now I have this awful pain in my forearm, right in front of the elbow. It really lets up if I don't do much...but that's hard when it's your right arm! And I can't stand just sitting around doing nothing...

see I was crocheting for many many years before I started knitting, when I was working full time and if I could crochet after work my hands hurt so bad, someone told me knitting is easier on the hands, so I knit for a few years and went back and forth inbetween the 2 crafts. Both give me tendenititis/carpel tunnel feeling but in differnts parts of my hands. Scine visiting the doctor I have really slacked off on the amount I am knitting and crocheting and as soon as they feel asleep or ached I would put the WIP down. ASAP.:(

It does not make me too happy stopping and working on something, but it really has been feeling much much better.

I tried the holding of hooks and needles different, I have tried almost everything but the only thing that helps is limiting what I do.

but its ok, theres really no need to be knitting 2 complete pairs of socks in a day...we dont live in the 1700's.:blush

I have tendonitis and have to take it easy.

First of all, I'd see a doctor, if I were you. You may need to take a break for a while. In the beginning, I had to rest my arm a good three weeks. I also had to wear a brace at night (I got it at CVS) and a softer support during the day (I used Handeze Therapeutic Craft Gloves from Joann.com). Your doctor will probably tell you something similar...I do know my doctor told me NOT to wear the brace during the day, but just the gloves. For painkillers, I just took Aleve and Advil.

Things I have done since:

Since, for me, it was a question of whether the culprit was the crocheting or computer work, I had the people at work check my workstation, which turned out to be ergonomically wrong. They readjusted everything, which helped immensely.

I retrained myself to mouse from the left on my PC. It took a few days to get down, but once I did I had much less strain in my right hand (which I'd much rather save for crocheting than mousing).

I also now take frequent breaks while crocheting. I do 20 minutes on, 10 minutes rest, 20 minutes on, 10 minutes rest, etc.

I still wear the craft gloves when knitting or crocheting, to cut down on any possible strain.

I like what you said Pam. I have been considering changing my mouse hand thinking that it would be easier than not doing crochet and surfing.

I also try to take breaks and do exercises in the midst of crochet sessions. I've even started exercising the full arm as well as my wrist and fingers; get all the muscles all wakey wakey time.

I got tendonitis from work and after 6 months of therapy it is much , much better. However, it will flare up if I crochet for too long. I can crochet for a couple of hours and then I need to rest it. Here is a website that offers exercises you can try to help stretch the tendons . http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_xtriceps_art.htm

It helps but the most you can do is not to overdo it .

Wendyb532

Is it common to develop tendinitis from crocheting? I have never had a problem with tendinitis, until I started crocheting again....it also flares up when I do anything else repetitive, such as running the sweeper. Yesterday I crocheted for about an hour--two 1/2 hour sessions--and my arm was killing me!

Now that I have rediscovered the joys of crocheting, this seems sort of like a kick in the teeth. I know there's not much that can be done for it, aside from resting it (yeah, right, how do you rest your right arm when you are right handed? :think), and I hate to take TOO much ibuprofen....so has anyone had a similar experience, and a remedy??

• 2 years later...

A few weeks ago, both of my elbows started giving me trouble. They ached, and it got worse, when I lifted any weight. If I slept with my arm extended out straight, I'd wake up with a very stiff, painful arm. I saw my doctor today, and she diagnosed tendinitis--"tennis elbow." She says it was probably brought on by too much crocheting (since I haven't held a tennis racket in 35 years!) So now I'm wearing neoprene bands on both arms, and icing them several times a day, and taking Aleve morning and night--and taking a break from crocheting :grumpy . She says that should help within a couple of weeks.

I'm also going to look into the exercises mentioned above, and that craft glove. Thanks for the advice, y'all!

I have specifically wrist/thumb tendonitis -- called deQuervain's (which I like to think of as DQ (for Dairy Queen);). It specifically hurts more intensely when you do something like hold a pencil or needle. I had to give up needlework and switch to crochet.

BRIGHT SPOT::cheer If you have short fingers and/or small hands, using a different style of hook might help. I can't use anything except the Clover Soft Touch hooks. I was told they were designed for the smaller hands of many Japanese crocheters, and they have saved me. I can often crochet with those hooks when my thumb hurts too much to even hold a pen. They just started making steel hooks for thread work, too.

If you don't like to take meds talk to a chiropractor (s)he may be able to help with out meds. My thumb where it conects to the wrist started to hurt and my chiropractor was able to help me out with meds. It took a couple of month to get the tendons to relax again but I know if I gone to my PCP she would have given me meds for the pain and I hate pills.

If you can read this, you use your dominant hand for more than crocheting.

Many years ago I developed severe pain in my right forearm, caused by crocheting and mousing. I still crochet right handed, but now I mouse with the left. The switch is not difficult and it kept my husband off my computer because I exchanged the clicks of the mouse buttons and it drove him nuts. Game playing is more difficult, but crocheting is less dangerous.

I use a small ball to squeeze to help with my hand pain. I have also worn a brace at night to keep my hand straight. Try getting some different hooks that are ergo-friendly. (I got Provo Craft hooks (it's a set)--get them at Michael's and use a coupon to get them cheaper. They are $19.99 but well worth it!) :hook

Talk with a dr as well or chiropractor to see if they can help you.

Yep, I have some pain in my hand, at the base of my thumb where it meets the wrist. Oddly, it doesn't hurt when I am crocheting, but when I stop it gives me trouble. Sometimes it's hard to grip a pencil tightly or even twirl spaghetti with a fork! I wear compression gloves when I crochet and a thumb support brace when it is really bad. I also have a hot-cold pack that I put in the microwave for a minute or two. That feels wonderful!

• 2 years later...

Does anyone experience pain in the shoulder blade area? I crochet more right sided and so I get the slight discomfort in the wrist, none in the elbow-but the main pain is in the right shoulder blade, not in the middle of the blades. I do get some relief when I go to the gym and get in the hot tub. Or I stop and stand up and swing my arms and do wide circles like when you exercise. But im wondering what anyone else is experiencing. I cant stop crocheting. I stopped for years and restarted a year + ago, and i have a lot of downtime plus a lot of projects to do...lol

I have tennis elbows also. My pt person had me wear wrist brace which puts less stress on the elbow by keeping the wrist straight. I got one for my other wrist and wrae them when i practice hand bells or vacuum or drive. I recently got back into crochet i dont want to not do it so i stop when it really hurts, wear the braces n should do the exercises pt suggested, i have a small ball to squeze and putty exercises i can do. Hopefully it does not ever get to ansurgical point cuz im loving crochrting again :)

When I was working (waitress) I had tendinitis and tennis elbow several times. I did pt each time but once I was sent for occupational therapy. The thing they did that helped me was they kept little cups of frozen ice. They would get my elbow area and forearm very cold as cold as I could stand it then they would use the ultra sound wand and massage the are we just almost froze.

For the shoulder blades I had that problem a few years ago and went to pt. I would stand facing a wall with my arms up on the wall and stretch my arms up and down the wall. I sit and rolled a small ball bigger than a softball back and forth. I also had some straps they were rubber like things and I would place one under my foot and wrap the other end around my hand and stretch them.

I sleep on my side and I get a flare up once in awhile so I think that is what is causing mine today.

I have considerable pain in my right shoulder blade area....just off center from the spine. I know I mouse too much, which aggravates it. I just got over a bout with bursitis in that shoulder. I also have scoliosis with bone spurs.

I put a heating pad on it or stand under the hot shower a bit. Stretching a bit helps, but I can't over do that. I won't stop crocheting (or cross stitching) unless I absolutely have to.

Archived