Benat Galaxy Shawl

I have been making some capelets using Bernat's Galaxy, double strand with something else and would like to make a loose and fluffy stole. Long and rectangular in shape. I want to use ONLY Galaxy for this stole. The local Big Lots has plenty for almost nothing, so I can actually afford to do this project. I need some idea how many skeins to buy, too.

I have a pattern book or two, that give you instructions for chain so many stitches plus whatever to repeat the pattern. My problem is that Galaxy is such a heavily textured yarn. What would some of you suggest for a style. Simply double or single is too boring. One Single followed by one Double does give a nice texture when you are using a plain yarn, but that's too close for what I have in mind. I'm thinking a random looking V stitch, or a small shell with lots of open work, possibly.

The capelets I've been making are a variation on the capelet that uses 3 different yarns on the Lion Brand site. I reduce the starting chain to something that will fit closer on the throat; make the collar (rectangle) the length I want, leaving it open until I'm happy with the length; then close it up so it becomes a circle, that will fit easily over the head. Once you finish the collar, follow the Lion Brand pattern for increases and close the circle. Experiment. The result is a short collar, a small slit, and a length that goes just past the shoulders. I'm going to sew a button and probably elastic thread to close the neck up more. I wear mine under my coat, but with 2 skeins of Galaxy it just barely comes to the edge of my shoulders. I used Lion Boucle with the first capelet, Lion Jiffy with the second (3 skeins Galaxy) and now I'm using Simply Soft because it was the only violet color I could find that would go with the more purple Galaxy.

I know that crocheting Galaxy by itsself will have me coming out with language unbecoming of a lady. It is very easy to work with if you use a second yarn.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I changed jobs in late Summer from a 2nd Shift Help Desk position to 1st shift entry-level programmer. FINALLY!

I'm not quite sure what the galaxy yarn looks like, so don't know how much help these suggestions will be. But for what they're worth...

What about a couple of rows of dc or tr, then a row of X-stitch (or whatever other name it goes by! :) ) I've used that on a bag for my niece and the end result was really quiet nice. I found a link for the X-stitch to explain it, in case you know it by a different name!

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-x-stitch.htm

The other suggestion I would have is to try the pattern in this shawl. I'm doing one currently as a Christmas gift, very simple pattern but looks quite effective. (Although I've changed the pattern to add my own touches as I think most of us crocheters do!)

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/paris/paris.html

Hope that helps. And congratulations on your new job! :)

Urghh! I was gonna say, I got several skeins of that stuff last month at Big Lots and aside from making the chain, I couldn't do a thing with it by itself. I'm gonna have to find some other yarn that matches to work in two strands, just so I can see the stitches! :yes

Fun fur is not easy to use crochet with unless you're doing something like trimming an item, such as magic gloves. (Use a size 0 steel hook and put the hook through the glove, then fluff it out when finished.) Galaxy has the added chore of not being not consistent in thickness.

I uploaded a few photos so you can see the capelets I've made and a sample of the yarn on the project I'm working on. The collar doesn't show very well and I haven't sewn the buttons on yet. I need to return to the original pattern and work on shaping a bit more.

http://gardenhumor.50megs.com/

I love the look of that yarn (:manyheart )! My sister is going to send me some and I plan to make an afghan with it (:c9). Your "insider" info on using a second, smooth yarn with it will save me lots of aggravation (:thair )! My thanks to all of you for that (:ty)!!

PS: Is the Galaxy still available at any of the Big Lots near any of you? (None near me.)

I'm making a shawl with it in a trellis stitch - just a chain, then a sc, then more chain. Very easy and it really shows the yarn off. I'll take a picture of my progress tomorrow.

Archived