The European Way

Every so often I just surf and see what the crochet world is up to.

I have to say that I am becoming a big fan of what I think of as the European way of doing things.

They say, use this stitch :yarn( diagram here) and make a shape like this ((schematic here).:yay

Let me interupt with a story that may get at my point. I run a Knitting Yahoo group and we did the Knitty Pink Hearts scarf for October. We also help new knitters to learn the craft so I have been creating pages that let our newbies mark off every row as it is done.

I have a young friend who made two of these scarves :wlol. that means that she did the heart motif of the scarf 40 times - not counting frogging and redo's. Rather than learning the pattern, she learned how to mark stuff off on the piece of paper. The other day, she forgot her piece of paper and she could remember most of the pattern. she admitted that she would have gotten it sooner if she hadn't been so busy with the paper. I am so proud of her for doing two of these so don't get me wrong on that.:cheer

I think that we get ourselves into so much dither about a stitch here and there because we are spoonfed our patterns. The European way seems to foster more freedom and creativity. if you follow the links that Svetlana has posted, you find this flow of wonderful ways to take "this" and make "that".

I still do my row by row patterns - so I'm preaching to the pastor here - but I think we lose something by being so tied to that piece of paper.

Just a thought looking for a place to rest :think:hook

Any thoughts?

I hear ya' Darski! I can't remember the last time I actually followed a pattern. For me a pattern is merely a suggestion. Sure, it seems to take me forever sometimes to get something completed - I told dh the other night that i think i frog more than i crochet - but i love being able to make something out of virtually nothing and calling it my own creation....most of my projects are "design as you go" things.

ITA. I like those type of patterns the best. It helps because I don't have to go line by line with my post it note. I just finished a cardigan with that kind of pattern and it went very well. I think it is easy to get intimidated at first glance, but if you actually sit down and do it you realize that it is easy!

I am horrible at following patterns stitch by stitch. I wish more designers would include schematics, with dimensions. That way, if your gauge is a bit off, you know just how long/wide to make a piece. It also helps to adjust sizes if that is needed.

In the BICO pattern, I loved that it had a schematic showing how the piece goes together.

Joan

Well, to be devil's advocate...I don't think there's anything wrong with following a pattern. I don't think it stifles me as a crocheter, even though I'm not creating a one-of-kind original. It's all about your comfort level, and I'm sure ya'll agree with me and weren't implying anything else. If you fall in love with the way something looks, and then it turns out to actually look that way when you're done because you followed a well-written pattern--woohoo! What a boost to the crocheter (well, okay, this crocheter, then. :D). Sadly, I'm not creative--I can't design my own patterns. I can't 'see' what combining this stitch and that stitch will make, or how to get to Z from W. I am a verbal person, not a number person or a picture person (I have a mom and sister who are the latter so I know how their brain reacts differently to certain stimuli than mine does.). So me, I love patterns. I admire all you folks (like my mom) who can look at a skein of yarn or two yards of fabric and say "Hmm, that would make a great____" and can then go ahead and create that. If a pattern isn't working for me, I can change tiny bits of it, but not a wholescale revision or just create the desired item off the top of my head.

So here's my thought (which could be way wrong, of course): Perhaps the difference is that many Europeans were taught to crochet and knit by their moms and grandmothers who showed them (so visual instruction, hands-on), and perhaps we have more people in the US who had to teach themselves and therefore relied heavily on published instructions and patterns? I know many people were taught by their moms (I was), but that hasn't stopped me from liking to have instructions to follow. Is it a parameter of how you learned to crochet that influences your preference?

For me, it's the soothing process of crocheting that I seek, not some outlet for my creativity. I have other, verbally-focused outlets for my creativity that are successful and satisfying. Oh how I wish I could wing it like you do, but I can't. Patty

I believe the world needs both. I teach horseback riding and I am always amazed at the different ways people learn. Some are visual and I have to get on and show them. Others I can explainit to. Some I give them ideas they can relate to and then apply it to the riding. Some think very technical and others it's more imagination. My point is, we all vary in our needs. We all see and think slightly differently from others and hopefully out pattern writing takes this into account.

I know that there are lots of people out there that just need a hint of what to do. For them that type of pattern is quite nice. It does encourage freedom to make the piece more what you envision. But for others, I can see them floundering on the whole concept. Some people just need to be told what to do step by step.

The whole point of writing a pattern is to preserve an idea or design to be used not only today, but hopefully in the years to come. When I write a pattern I try and think of someone picking it up 20 years from now and making my design. I want it to be such that will be understandable to them. I do not assume they can read my mind, but explain everything as clearly as possible. There are a lot of old patterns out there that are very difficult to use as the author assumed you knew how to do something. Since we are not taught by our mothers and grandmothers as often as we used to be, that knowledge may not be readily available to us.

I never use the little stickies or mark my place except when I have to do so many rows of a repeat, then I keep a tally sheet of the number of rows I have done. But that is me. Once I have done a repeat pattern once or twice I no longer need a written prompter. Again just me.

So I truly believe we need all methods of pattern writting. I do tend to think we write our patterns as we were taught to read them. That would explain the differences in our method and theirs. I know I can and have used theirs before and will again. But I still like to have written pattern to double check that I have gotten what is needed done. Though at this point in time I rarely use a pattern. But when I do I prefer a written pattern.

I see both sides of the coin...I very seldom used a pattern prior to 2 years ago...except for my stitch encyclopedia...I would get my inspiration mainly from looking at pictures (and I still do that...)

However, in the last 2 years I've collected and used a lot of patterns...and what I've found is that the patterns teach me different stitches, techniques and enhances the creativity process for me...without making me feel like I have to follow any pattern to the letter...the pattern is a suggestion to me, and yes, sometimes, depending on the pattern itself, I might actually follow it to the letter, but most of the time not.

In Germany there are two different words for pattern...In english, pattern can mean the stitch pattern or the over all pattern. The stitch pattern in German is Muster and the over all pattern is scheme (I think...it's actually been a while since I talked with a German about stricken (knitting) or Haekln (crocheting...)

I do think that there are a segment of people who feel that if one deviates from the pattern, kit, scheme, schematic, written instructions, or graph or diagram, they are sinning against the designer's intent...and then there are others that see it as an opportunity to add or change the design to make it their own...

I will never be so married to a pattern that I won't want to add or change something to it...or feel like I'm insulting the designer if I do so...at the same time, however, when I started actually using existing patterns, I realised that one of the reasons I kept putting down my hook for long periods of time, was that I had gotten myself into a rut...I consider the last 2 years to be like going back to crochet school and then going beyond school into new areas of design...it's all good.

Great comments, everyone, especially from Kathy who bowls all of us over with her gorgeous designs and gives us the designer's viewpoint (always looking to posterity). So I've been thinking further and realized I am one of those zanies who actually prefers written instructions rather than schematics. Maybe because I had a horrible experience this summer with a knit chart and shudder just looking at any chart now! :lol I guess that supports me as a verbal person. But now that I've been looking at some of the European designs Darski was alluding to, I can see that I may have to double my efforts to get proficient at chart reading or schematic reading. There's a whole world of great designs I'm not privvy to yet! :hook Patty

I have a real problem with knitting charts because they cannot reflect reality the way crochet can. i have yet to truly learn to use knitting charts/stitch patterns.

I was actually talking about crochet charts that show how to make a stitch. Ones that use symbols to show every stitch you need and where it goes.

You know what's really strange is I learned to crochet with charts. I find it so much easier to look at a chart and at a glance KNOW what I'm supposed to do in a row without reading a sometimes garbled and sometimes even WRONG written pattern. I do a few patterns that are written but I always have to stop and read and sometimes re-read and sometimes then interpret what they are saying to do. (Sorry, have had a bad run of errors in written patterns lately) It seems like such a waste of time when I could have just glanced quickly at a chart and known what to do. My ultimate would be for all patterns to contain both. (SnB does!)

Also, there are some patterns that NEED to have the word for word explanation because they are complex or not easily diagrammed. I definitely use both and am comfortable with both.

I do think that the diagrams are easier than they seem, but I have the Harmony Guides that use both the written out explanations and the diagrams for the same stitch pattern, so it really helps in understanding how they work. I would recommend them if anyone is interested in branching out to diagrams.

Also, there are some patterns that NEED to have the word for word explanation because they are complex or not easily diagrammed. I definitely use both and am comfortable with both.

I do think that the diagrams are easier than they seem, but I have the Harmony Guides that use both the written out explanations and the diagrams for the same stitch pattern, so it really helps in understanding how they work. I would recommend them if anyone is interested in branching out to diagrams.

I also have the Harmony Guides and actually prefer them to The Crochet Stitch Bible. My favorite crochet magazine for years were the Magic Crochet and they were all diagrams with explainations as need for the trickier parts of a pattern. I would love to find a "GOOD" program to write patterns as diagrams. especially in the rnd. But alas what is available at the moment is too cumbersome to use except for the simplest of designs.

I would love to find a "GOOD" program to write patterns as diagrams. especially in the rnd. But alas what is available at the moment is too cumbersome to use except for the simplest of designs.

I have a couple of Japanese doily pattern books and they have some pretty complex diagrams. I wonder what they use?? They can't be drawn by hand, can they?

I have a couple of Japanese doily pattern books and they have some pretty complex diagrams. I wonder what they use?? They can't be drawn by hand, can they?
I don't think so and would love to know what program they used. Somewhere there has to be a program for this. One that actually works well.

For me, I am still a beginner and don't know a lot of stitches, so I kinda need a pattern to go by. But what I would like to see more of is pictures of the projects at different points not just the finished pattern. I taught myself from using books, charts, diagrams, and videos on the net, watching some on television (needle arts studio on pbs) and a little bit of watching people I know crochet (not much very limited exposure here). So having a guide helps me move along, I think I will reach a point where I try to branch out, but I am not ready to go out on a ledge just yet. :lol

I learned to crochet before I learned to read a pattern, so following a visual comes so much easier to me. When I have to learn something new, pictures/drawings/real life are what I need.

I do use patterns, but lately I've been realizing that I am not a pattern "follower"...in some cases I even end up making something completely different out of what I started!

I agree with Kathy that ALL ways are needed. There are certain things I need a pattern for and others I can just go on my merry way using a diagram or picture.

I'm in agreement with several of you on patterns vs. winging it.. I'm a musician (fiddler). Some people learn better by hearing a tune and learning it. Some do better with the piece of music to look at. I'd also make a comparison to cooking. For me a recipe is often a point of deparure!

I haven't actually done a sweater with no pattern, but after seeing Darcy's BICI, I want to try it.

Alice

I am also a pattern person, but what I really love is when I find a pattern that also has a diagram. If one type of instruction is unclear, I can double check using the other.

I remember (vaguely... It was forever ago!) learning how to crochet the very basics from my girl scout leader and then having memories of just making up stuff as I went, improvising to make these weird basket triangle things. Acutally, I have no idea what I was making and I've looked at these things many times! However, when I started really teaching myself to crochet and all the different stitches, I NEED my patterns. Yeah, I can make up stuff on my own and everything but not anything that complicated and not nearly as nice as some of those patterns out there. But for me, I can only do patterns if they have a picture of the finished product. The whole diagram thing doesn't cut it for me. It's just a bunch of random lines that sort of mean something but not in my head and I can't just read a pattern and see the finished result. So, I love my patterns and they give me encouragement and ideas to make things without but only from patterns that I can actually see what in the world I'm suppose to be making. Besides, having the end product in front of me, either in picture or in fabric, just helps me to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Now, just to get me better with gauge! (Always forget to check that...)

I have a real problem with knitting charts because they cannot reflect reality the way crochet can. i have yet to truly learn to use knitting charts/stitch patterns.

I was actually talking about crochet charts that show how to make a stitch. Ones that use symbols to show every stitch you need and where it goes.

I agree with you Darski that the crochet stitch charts are much easier to read than the kniting stitch charts. But I'm not sure how much of that is because I'm a brand new beginner knitter or not. I'm like Kathy and used to love to get the Magic Crochet magazines and loved their stitch schematics/charts. On complicated projects I really love to have both written patterns and the chart. Sometimes my dense brain just can't get it one way so having a backup way also helps! The older I get and the more my eyesight gets worse, some of those charts are difficult to see. I've found myself having to enlarge both the written patterns and the stitch charts more and more lately.....

:(:2eek:blink:tired:blink

Archived