My 14 yr old son's WIP-it's finished! Post #35 - DISHCLOTHS

Mom w/a Motif

Our fourteen year old asked me yesterday (or the day before) :think if I had 'any of that yarn you make dishcloths with?' I smiled and said 'Yup; look in the top drawer. There's some white with pink and blue specks...' Well after dinner he sat on the couch watching tv and crocheted. (I think that is kind of funny.) Well tonight he did some more. Just now I was getting a movie in for the four year old and noticed a dishcloth sitting on the entertainment center- 'huh?' :think I opened it up and saw this:

th_Picture1248.jpg

:lol

(Clickable.) He has it in a regular dishcloth because when he first started it it was like three inches long and said 'Do you think this would be long enough?' I told him to go get a regular dishcloth and you can measure it that way.... :P I asked him if he was making it for me. 'No' :( He said he was just making it because he wanted to... Well. That's cool. As long as he doesn't lose my hook. :hook

Here's another one he crocheted about two years or more ago...

th_Prystup-R1-026-11A.jpg

And a green one:

th_Prystup-R1-046-21A.jpg

(I think the stringy things were supposed to be bookmarks he made.)

He said he wants to make a blanket. I think he could do a really nice one, with all his practice doing squares! We might have a dishcloth swapee in the making here. :hook

Tina

Tina- that is too cool! Your son sounds like a really neat young man. He crochets very well and his stitches are really even. I bet the dishcloth is for you! ;)

Thanks everyone. He doesn't know I'm posting this- I think he would be beet red if he did... :devil

Thel and Tampa Doll, I really don't think it is for me. I don't know who it's for, honestly. But he has made one for his teacher(s) and for his great Grandma before. He might even be making it for himself (one of his chores is the dishes.) :hook

It is nice to have someone in the house who appreciates crocheting like I do. Especially when I am surrounded by males.... :blush

Tina

That is so cool Tina! He did great!

My 14 year old son also crochets, I think that he would get a kick knowing that another boy his age crochets like he does :D

(I'm always on my son about my hooks, his sister lost one, so I get a bit touchy when he wants to use my hooks LOL)

TINA!!! That is so cool! My middle son has tried on more than one occasion to learn, and I am afraid it's my fault that he doesn't. I just don't know how to explain what I am doing!

Your son is doing AWESOME!

Very Cool! You must be so proud of him! My Husband and sons are always teasing me about being obsessed with crocheting but I notice they come around and peek over my shoulder watching how I form the various stitches and everyone is so pleased with his crocheted gifts....it is really special to be able to share this love of yours with your son!

I will try to find a picture for you all later.... :devil

I think I am going to buy him his own G hook today, and a tube of mega mini m*m's -to keep his hook(s) in. He likes those anyway.

Tina

Hey, He's GOOD!!!! I like his honesty, too! "Are you making this for me?" "No." I taught my 14-yr-old son to crochet about a year ago but it was just a fluke... a couple female friends were over and I was teaching THEM to crochet! Hmm:think

Way to go, dude, and a good job!

And kudos to you, Tina, for raising a son who is comfortable enough with himself to crochet without a macho hang-up. Teenage boys (and girls) get so much peer pressure. I hope my son (11 now) grows up to be like yours.

Thank you everyone. Here is a picture of him when he was a baby. 1-2 (??) maybe 18 months... I took it to WalMart this morning and put it on a CD then on my computer... (this was pre-digital camera days when I took this picture.) I think it is so cute.

th_001_12.jpg

(Clickable.)

I don't think any of our other two boys did that. He was always getting my hooks and yarn. So I gave him the big plastic one (so he wouldn't poke his eye out.) He'd sit there with his binky in his mouth and try to crochet... :manyheart

His teacher last year (a male) asked the whole class if anyone crocheted. He (the teacher) said he did. Only one boy raised his hand. I asked him if he raised his. 'No. The kid who raised his hand was a geek.' So I think he is only comfortable with letting his family know he crochets. (He wouldn't say it in front of the whole class, type thing...) But still I think it's cool. To Pauletter and Jenn- whose fourteen year old sons crochet(ed), mine crocheted a couple GBA cases. He even made one for his friend. (The other one was for him, and for his little brother...) Maybe if they could crochet something cool they might get interested in it...:shrug

To Pauletter and Jenn- whose fourteen year old sons crochet(ed), mine crocheted a couple GBA cases. He even made one for his friend. (The other one was for him, and for his little brother...) Maybe if they could crochet something cool they might get interested in it...:shrug

LOL, that is one of the things that my son crocheted too, a case for his GBA :P

Archived