Network Crochet Project

Hello!

I am a student at the Maryland Institute College of Art currently doing a project involving crocheting. I’m interested in combining technology with the traditional craft. This project focuses on converting digital networks (world wide web, email) to a physical network (the crocheted product) by means of a human network (everyone who submits). A form is set up online for you to create your very own pattern through choices of yarn, hook size, number of stitches and stitch type. These individual patterns will then be complied and crocheted in a large scrumble. Visit the URL below to participate and find out more about the project.

http://digital.mica.edu/IM200C/lhebert/Project2/index.html

Thank-you very much!

What an interesting concept! I can't wait to see what you end up with. I hope you'll stick around and be sure to remind us about the final project once you have it completed!

Neat! I'll be interested to see what happens!

Mandy, here's some information I copied from that website (I hope she won't mind that I did!) -- it seems to help explain what she's going for:

Process:

The process is simple. First, the pattern for the World’s Web will be created by people’s submissions via an online form. People will choose the yarn, hook size, stitch and number of stitches. Then, a crocheted fabric will then be made from the pattern.

Artist's Statement:

This project will result in a large fabric produced by a crocheting and knitting technique called scrumbling. Scrumbling is a term used to describe freeform knitting and crocheting; it incorporates numerous stitches and a variety of yarns. Though this technique is freeform, the creator still has complete control over the outcome. For this project, I want to remove the direct control of the artist and see what will result. This will be accomplished by creating a pattern from people’s input via an online form. The scrumble will end up being a visual, concrete representation of the human and digital network that created it. Will everyone choose different combinations or will patterns emerge from the whole? Will the variety of input only result in a jumbled mess or an oddly cohesive whole?

Hi! I added my bit to the pattern. Will look forward to seeing what this looks like when it's done.:)

Linda T

WIP:

sage green & royal purple afghan

dark green & black varigated afghan

turquoise beaded centerpiece

preemie hats & afghans

I submitted too. I love that there are so many art majors doing crochet/knit projects!

Hope you let us know when the project is completed :)

Archived