Mermaiden

CAL: Doris Chan's Amazing Crochet Lace

Awesome! Great job! What's next, boss?

I'm up to row 19!

Thanks! And what's next up for me, officially, is the Farpoint Topper, thanks to Michael's yarn sale! :hook

Thanks! And what's next up for me, officially, is the Farpoint Topper, thanks to Michael's yarn sale! :hook

Yes! The Farpoint Topper is the one I want to do! Will we do a CAL for that one too! (say yes, please! :-)

Certainly. I'm willing to keep going through that one and several other items from the book. :hook

I am afraid this shawl will be too small for my large body when I am done. I am on round 18. What do you all think of doing round 26 several times to add to the size?

thanks!

Hmm, well, row 26 is really just the base line of the scalloped edging that 27 fits onto so I'm not sure how it would look. But I bet you could just add some more of the "mesh" part, round 24 with no problems. :hook Mine came out to be about 22 inches across (and remember it's unblocked) with the Sugar n' Cream & I hook, so yarn & hook varies the size a little bit too of course...

Thanks! I will try that.. I am a plus sized gal I don't think that 22 inches would cover half my back :lol I am using more of a sport weight wool/cotton/silk combo yarn with the I hook. It is very lacy so I am hoping it will block bigger but I know I need to add more rows either way.

Hmm, well, row 26 is really just the base line of the scalloped edging that 27 fits onto so I'm not sure how it would look. But I bet you could just add some more of the "mesh" part, round 24 with no problems. :hook Mine came out to be about 22 inches across (and remember it's unblocked) with the Sugar n' Cream & I hook, so yarn & hook varies the size a little bit too of course...

I was thinking of adding onto the last couple of rows somehow, since I'm 6 feet tall. Adding to row 24 is a great idea. Of course, I'm halfway through row 25!!!!! I could always frog it. I might be less than halfway through....

Do I sound like I'm trying to convince myself?

frog!! I am sure it won't be as big as you would want it to be.

Mermaiden, it turned out fantastic! I'm stuck finishing some birthday gifts so I haven't been able to start yet! aaargh!!! After seeing the color you used I may be changing my mind on the yarn I use, I don't know yet. You did a great job!!! :hook

Thanks! I was really dying to know how it would turn out in cotton.... I do like the result!

After I do the Farpoint Topper, I am going to try the Risa Robe also in Incredible ribbon yarn.... because that's what I was able to obtain, though I'm not sure how close that is to the suggested yarn. Then again I never use the suggested yarn! :lol So we'll see. I just adore the Blues shades, and the belt will be done in a silver shade of the same yarn too.

Yep yep RIPPIT Claire! It won't hurt so bad once you start adding the new row back. :hook

Riiiibbit! Riiiibbit!

All frogified! Now I'm repeating row 24. Needed another ball of yarn, so I used the hank on the chair back method which worked great until the hank slipped off and instantaneously congealed into a tangled mess. So it will probably take me another hour to untangle the thing.

Can't wait to see the Farpoint Topper!

Don't know what I will tackle next.

Mermaiden, FABULOUS JOB. Yes, block it and it will make the pattern "pop" even more beautifully. Also, blocking makes the stitches hang better, the shawl may grow to a more generous size as well.

The best way to make a bigger shawl is to bump up the gauge. This may be accomplished by either working the same weight yarn but use a larger hook than listed. Or use a thicker yarn (but as lofty and light as possible), more of a medium to heavy worsted weight. In any case, keep your work relaxed and BLOCK. See how it expands. Good luck!

Doris

Mermaiden, what an awesome job!! It's so cool that Doris is right here to answer questions.......thanks Doris!

Claire, my LYS offers winding free when you buy hanks. If yours does, I'd take advantage of the service. It sure has saved me a bunch of headaches!!

I've got some other WIP's that need to be finished before I can start something else, but I'm putting that shawl on my list!!!!

Thanks! I'm going to block it, as soon as I find somewhere to do so! Hee! :hook

Mine is finished, except, heh heh, for weaving in the ends! I need to block mine, too, except it's pretty huge! I'll have to use a bed. I'll post a pic tonight after work, or, more likely, tomorrow sometime.

CDBear, thanks for letting me know that. I'll ask next time I go.

Wow, we got another visit from the Doris!! Hi Doris! :hi Using a bigger hook is good advice. I think I would do that if I made again for someone who needs it to be bigger. It's a good size, though,for the average woman. I'm six feet tall, so I have more real estate to cover!

Happy Monday!

Yay, check out Miss USA's shawl! :cheer Nice work, and a lovely looking shawl.

I myself haven't gotten started on the next item in the book yet. (tsk tsk) I have had several projects pending and they were really getting to me, so I started working on my Morning Glory afghan. :hook (this was supposed to be the 3rd afghan I made, not my 1st, but oh well!)

But I will also get back to working on a project from the book really soon, too. ;D I said I'd do the Farpoint Topper, but the Risa robe is really calling to me, now that I got some yarn.

*taps screen* anyone? helloooo out there!

I know this CAL is over a year old, but I'm starting the Tea Shawl too, in case there is anyone else out there.

Just in case anyone is wondering about the guage with a larger hook and yarn. I just completed this using Patons Classic Merino Wool and a K hook. Mine came out to be 44 inches across unblocked. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want to block it, as it is large enough for me already. I'll post pics soon.

I realize I'm the only one in here....but I started the Sambuca jacket.

Hi Christina - I'm here. I'm working on a second Curaco shawl. I love Doris's two books and can see myself spending lots of time and yarn making goodies from them. Maybe if we post we can get people interested again.

Oh yeah! I'm glad I'm not alone here! I want to do the curaco shawl too. I've made the tea shawl and nearly done with the Sambuca...just one sleeve to go. This is definitely one book that I can make multiple projects from!

I'll have to get photos posted of my Curaco. I have one done in a yarn called Ty Dy. It is gorgeous. My second is done in Caron's Country in scarlet. I have about 7 more rows to do on that one.

Hey y'all,

I'm here too. I just started crocheting this year. I found this book at the library and love it. My friend Diva loved it too when I showed her. We both ordered it and Everyday Crochet. I started the Sambuca Jacket 2 weeks ago and should be finished tomorrow! It is my first jacket/sweater and I am super proud of it. I'm doing the Rocky Road Shrug next in Fall colors.

I was looking through the "Vogue on the Go Shawls" that I picked up on a library trip today, and I didn't see much I wanted to make. However, the one I was interested in I started to read and it was by Doris Chan. I started laughing and showed my husband. I should have known! I love Doris Chan!

I usually keep 2-3 projects going at once. I find it helps me to have different skill levels availble to just pick up and relax with. I'm 32 sqaures into a granny square afghan for my son. I have no clue when it will be done. Oh, well.

Edited by Charlie in Georgia