CAL: Doris Chan's Amazing Crochet Lace

Mermaiden

Thanks for starting this CAL! I was thinking about starting one, but too much of a chicken, being that I am overwhelmed with holiday gifts right now! But I hope to join in after the holidays, say in a few weeks!! I can't wait to see some others progress!

Isn't it exciting to have Doris Chan on our boards??!!:cheer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a self taught crocheter! I work at a knitting store and when we received this book, I snatched it up!! I am currently crocheting the walking after midnight skirt out of Louet's Euroflax. I hope I have time to do the CAL, but I do love reading this sight.:yay

I'm so looking forward to see what is in the book. The shawl on the front is beautiful. Could those of you that already have the book tell us what some of the other patterns in the book are? Please, just give us a general idea.

Yes Theresa it is indeed very exciting :hook

And for anyone that wants to see more pics of projects from this book, check out Doris Chan's interview in the Crochet Insider eZine :D

Also, I had posted a list of what all's in the book over on this thread

(bolded is the stuff I am dying to make :lol )

Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl (round shawl, the one on the cover)

vest

capelet (poncho)

mobius wrap

Risa Robe

mini-dress

capelet

Walking after Midnight (skirt)

poncho/skirt set

Farpoint Topper, interesting spiral-patterned pentagram sleeved poncho

shrug

jacket

ruana (like a big rectangle wrap with a slit in the middle for neck)

jacket

vest

tank/vest

stole

Blue Curacao Shawl! (looks rather like a pineapple seraphina):drool

I have been so busy at work with giving training, and then shopping over the weekend, I haven't gotten much done. But I'm back at it again now, so I should have a pic of my work, thus far, to show soon!

My book just came in the mail today. I still have some Christmas things to finish, but should be able to start on the shawl in a week or two.:hook One nice thing is I get to take advantage of the corrections that the rest of you are posting. :yes Think I'll do it in royal purple.

Happy Holidays to all!

:kwan:wreathLinda T:menorah:kinara

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to join this CAL! My first mission is to decide which yarn to use. I see that the pattern calls for Classic Elite "Premiere," which, according to Yarndex, is a DK.

Any suggestions?

Doris Chan herself has made some comments regard yarn substitutions over on post 12 you can check out. :hook

I have required myself to use up my stash :lol so I'm doing it in just plain old, good ole' cotton (Sugar n' Cream I believe / mil's end bag / edit, checked - yep it is) with an I hook and it's working up great! Row 23 today. I should have brought another ball of yarn to work. LOL.

I am in. I got the book for Christmas- the shawl on the cover was what tempted me!! Now to find yarn! :-)

hugs,debra

WIP:

12 inch afghan squares for an exchange

testing an afghan pattern

Knitting a baby cape for son..

So I can fit this in :-)

I am on round 5. I had 4 skiens of a wool/cotton/silk blend that is working perfectly. I had been holding onto it for a while now wondering what to do with it. It is purple with white flecks from the cotton and darker purple flecks from the silk. I just love it.

I am in such luck!! The Farpoint Topper will have to be my 2nd project, because..... the Incredible ribbon yarn was on sale for $2 a ball at Michael's today!!!! It was coincidence that I went in, and I was just blown away to find it. :hook

Now I warn you, my work isn't perfect. I was doing something wrong at first and didn't feel like ripping it. Instead of going into the *next* stitch I think I did some of them in the same. Oh well, maybe it won't show too bad. ;)

Here it is, so far, and unblocked of course --

2262017490026294795IGvAfc_th.jpg

(click)

That is really pretty. That green is showing up more places.

I do have to ask one question about the Farpoint topper... By any chance, is it about the ST-The Next Generation first episode?

Doris wrote:

RND 10: Ch 3, sk first dc, dc in next 3 dc, *ch 4, skip next 4 dc, V-st in next dc, ch 4, sk next 4 dc, dc in next 4 dc, ch 2, sk ch-2 sp, dc in next 4 dc; rep from * around, except omit last 4 dc, instead sl st in top of beg ch.

Doris, I did this round, started with your revised instructions above and found that it put me off one stitch- I ended up only 3 dc's to dc 4 dc's before the ch 2 space. So I eliminated the sk first dc and the whole round worked out perfectly.

Also wanted to ask you- I am a big gal and am doing the shawl in more of a sport weight yarn while still using the size I hook. I was wondering what you thought about repeating round 26 once or twice more to get a bigger shawl..THanks for all the help.:hook

Whilst pondering which yarn to use for a sub for Classic Elite Premiere, I hied on over to Yarndex.com. At Yarndex, I found the website for Classic Elite. To my surprise I discovered that Classic Elite is based in Lowell, MA, which is a 15 minute highway ride from me. So I grabbed the Christmas cash my MIL gave me and ran up there yesterday to visit their factory store.

I couldn't believe my eyes, they have a $1 bin! But best of all, they had Premiere for 3.50 a skein! Yay! :clap I bought 8 ('cause you never know) in a nice blue because green, unless it's dark, looks icky on me. I haven't started it yet because as soon as I got home yesterday I had to get ready to go out and today, alas, I'm at work.

I'll be checking again after I get going on the shawl. Did I say yay?

what a great find. We are moving to Michigan in 3 months.. I found that there is a great weaving and spinning shop about 30 minutes from where we will be living. Starting in Sept. they will be having an intensive spinning class that meets once a month for 8 months. I am signing up! I spin well but they will be teaching stuff I have wanted to know more about.

That sounds like a great class. I hope it takes the sting out of moving from CA to Michigan in March. I'd love to learn to spin someday. It must be an incredible experience to take something from roving to a finished garment.

That sounds like a great class. I hope it takes the sting out of moving from CA to Michigan in March. I'd love to learn to spin someday. It must be an incredible experience to take something from roving to a finished garment.

We are actually looking forward to it. We were in Oregon for 11 years and then moved back here a year ago.. It has changed much here over the years. Much more expensive and now we are used to cold and you just don't get cold here.

The class looks awesome I can't wait.

I am on round 12 now. It is moving along nicely. I love patterns that are simple pattern repeats.. I memorize things quickly so it helps me move through the rounds as quickly as I can crochet rather than stumbling through looking at the pattern book and back to my crochet work..

So far, so good! I am on row 11. I need to figure out a more effective way of using yarn out of a hank. I rolled the first one into a ball, but that took ages and was a royal pain. Now I've got to do the second one.

I visited Oregon (Portland area) a year ago and liked it very much. I've never been to Cali, though, or Michigan for that matter! You should be here in MA if you like the cold! Although, it's not really too cold today. It's in the forties.

Now I must go deal with the hank!

Happy New Year!

So far, so good! I am on row 11. I need to figure out a more effective way of using yarn out of a hank. I rolled the first one into a ball, but that took ages and was a royal pain. Now I've got to do the second one.

I visited Oregon (Portland area) a year ago and liked it very much. I've never been to Cali, though, or Michigan for that matter! You should be here in MA if you like the cold! Although, it's not really too cold today. It's in the forties.

Now I must go deal with the hank!

Happy New Year!

The only way to deal with a hank other than rolling it into the ball (did you slip the hank over the back of a chair?) is to put the yarn onto a yarn swift and use a yarn winder.. if you don't have those 2 items than you are stuck winding it into a ball.. sorry :)

I am on round 16. I would be further along but have been doing a couple of rows on the baby cape I am knitting for my son inbetween rounds on the shawl. I want him to be able to wear the cape this winter..

The only way to deal with a hank other than rolling it into the ball (did you slip the hank over the back of a chair?) is to put the yarn onto a yarn swift and use a yarn winder.. if you don't have those 2 items than you are stuck winding it into a ball.. sorry :)

Thanks for your advice, AuntDebbie!

I didn't put the first one on the back of a chair. :bang Took me hours to roll it, at least two, probably more like three. It was sooooo aggravating! I decided to do another one, to see if I could improve the method.

I enlisted my 10 year old son to sit and hold the yarn on his hands. After five minutes or so, he pointed out that I could hang the yarn on the arms of the kitchen chair he was sitting in. (How come the 10 year old can figure this out, but I can't???) So I did and it went better and hours faster, but it was still a PITA. Next hank will go on the back of the chair!

Okay, guess what I finished........ :clap:hook:yay

2103037830026294795xTylzv_th.jpg 2283596720026294795EUsijk_th.jpg 2220536720026294795nKNRar_th.jpg

Click to enlarge, and you can also enlarge the pics on the Webshots page

I didn't block it, should I block it? I dunno, I was just so excited to complete it! :manyheart

I'll be on to the next soon!!!

Archived