CAL: Doris Chan's Amazing Crochet Lace

Mermaiden

We have had interest expressed in a Crochet-along for this excellent new book, so let's get started, shall we?

0307339750.01._AA_SCMZZZZZZZ_V65791161_.jpg

(this image and link are provided freely by Amazon for remote linkage) :hook

If you don't know what a CAL is, check out the sticky thread available

here. Also, please note, that for this CAL, you need to have your own book, as those with one cannot provide you with a pattern! ;)

I would like to propose the lovely round shawl from the cover as our project to work on, the Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl, as seen above. If you want to work on something else from the book, that's fine too, post your progress here.

:)

C'mon, who's with me!

:hook

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the book last week. Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet Doris Chan.:clap What an experience! I promised myself I would wait until after Christmas to start any of the projects. Well, that didn't work...After I got home yesterday I started the farpoint topper (page 90).:blush I've completed 1/4. I also went through my stash and pulled yarn for some other patterns I want to work on. I really need to work on some gifts, but I'd like to join this CAL. So I'll be around, but probably not too much before Christmas...

Lucky you! :) That one's definitely on my list, but not 'til I get the right yarn. I'm not entirely pleased with my choice of plain old cotton for my first 2 projects, but I've made myself promise myself to only use yarn ON HAND for a while ( :lol ) so I'm using some of those nice colors I got from that Mil's End bin in 1-lb bags at AC Moore for my first two, or three items... I'm going to start now, making the Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl in the color pictured. :hook

Yay! :woo I'm sooo in! I wanted to do it in the green because I thought it was so pretty, but I've been spending way too much on yarn lately so I have some Aunt Lydia's "Shimmer" Fashion cotton/rayon blend in off white that I'm going to try out. :hook

Alright, I got through 1 ball of cotton and 9 rows last night! Wish I could post a pic but I crocheted until I had to go straight to bed, so had no time to get one. :lol

:yayWhat a gorgeous book!

I just ordered it and another one as well. :hookI probably won't have time to start anything until after Christmas, as I still have quite a few things to finish for Christmas. I've just one left to crochet, but have to starch & add finishing touches to a whole lot of things.

Linda T

:wreath:flake

WIP:

sage green & royal purple super-sized afghan for Christmas:gift

dark green & black varigated afghan for me

Christmas angels & garland for Christmas:gift

2 crocheted collars for Christmas:gift

turquoise beaded centerpiece

Hmm, I don't know Karin, but you might also want to ask in the other thread talking about this book. Folks reading here are probably just here to read about the CAL. :D I made a few errors along the way but I think it was just in the way I was reading the pattern.

WOW...a CAL using the cover shawl. Wish I had time to remake a sample of my own :0)! "Shimmer" would be an appropriate yarn sub. The rayon twist in it will add a pretty texture, yet not be too busy. However it is a bit finer than the "Premier" and may not work exactly to gauge. So try to keep your work relaxed so the piece will eventually block to size. Honestly, you can use ANY yarn you want or have around to make this design. Just be aware that thinner yarn might result in a small round shawl if you don't work loosely enough... conversely thicker yarn (say a heavier worsted or chunky weight) might give you a bigger round when worked with the same hook. Also, for your fancy stitchwork to be the star, stick to smooth or slightly textured solid colors. Certainly you may use multicolor or fancy yarn, but all I am saying is that your lovely stitch pattern might get lost. Best of luck. Please keep posting your experiences with this CAL. I LOVE IT!

Yours,

Doris

Yay, thanks so much for the the tips, Doris! :cheer We are so honored to have your tips here. Right from the source. :hook

I am just loving how lacy and pretty mine is turning out, even already. I had just gotten to the base row of where the leaves start, and can't wait to get home and work on it some more.

Ack! Here I am now, working on row 10, and I found my first typo on the book here. Hrrrmmmm.

Chain 4, sk next 3 DC, chain 2, dc in the next 4 dc.

Something is missing after that skip 3 DC. Looks like it should be a slip stitch, or a SC.

Though :think I can't tell why you wouldn't just make a DC there instead of a sl-st and chain-2, at least that works out both sides of the leaf evenly where I did that instead. Hmm, or did it, I'm not sure yet.

How COOL is this???!!!!! My book just arrived today! Yippee!:cheer

I'm just finishing the Lisette Shawl (here's a link if you'r interested in seeing it or getting the pattern which is for sale on eBay and also through Annie's Attic http://cgi.ebay.com/Gourmet-Crochet-Lisette-Circular-Shawl-Pattern-NEW_W0QQitemZ280059127409QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11798QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem so I might pick a different one from in the book and definitely would love to work along with you all!

I'm still doing another Butterfly Shawl from the Crochet Along over there and I have Maggie's Comfortghan to complete:hook

I LOVE CROCHET ALONGS:manyheart

Alright, got a chance to check myself on that and my rendition of a row 10 correction(?) is working out right for me (thanks to the visual on the front cover :D )

Okay, I did it like this. I tried to write it out but this was easier, lol.

2662521680026294795cRRuvp_th.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Always skip 3 DC's where you chain 4, and the V will always be over the top of where the cluster was on the previous row.

I was reading the reviews on this pattern book and people who have made this pattern said there were errors in the first round and that there are errors in other patterns in the book. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just giving a heads up.....in case you come across a stumbling block when you work these patterns up.

Good luck to you all! I'm sure your projects are going to turn out stunningly beautiful! I would love to see your pics.

Sorry you feel that way Crochetingfool, this thread is for those of us who love & want to make one, and ARE making one actually (or will be soon), because this thread's topic is a CAL ;)

Thanks Daisy and yes I already just posted 1 correction up there

OOPS. I do hate when that happens. To err is human, to forgive is divine, but often not easy. My chief problem with design is the writing. I am much more a visual crocheter and actually can't spot misprints in patterns unless I am actually crocheting the stitches in my hands. Please tell anyone who has a problem with the written instructions to use the symbol diagram on page 26. That should give satisfactory results, huh?

TECHNICALLY, though, the diagram is not correct either, RND 9 not having enough double crochets in each ch sp. Assuming RND 9 AS WRITTEN (with 8 double crochets in each ch-sp) is correct, I have fixed the round in question:

RND 10: Ch 3, sk first dc, dc in next 3 dc, *ch 4, skip next 4 dc, V-st in next dc, ch 4, sk next 4 dc, dc in next 4 dc, ch 2, sk ch-2 sp, dc in next 4 dc; rep from * around, except omit last 4 dc, instead sl st in top of beg ch.

Sorry about the mess.

Doris

Ahh, thank you for that! :) I know that will come in handy for everyone once they get there.

I think that's basically what I did; at least rows 12 & 13 worked out correctly. Arg, now I really wish I would have remembered to bring my book to work with me today! :lol

You are so right about the chart being easier to use - this pattern is so very easy to do when you think of it visually. I hardly have to look at the pattern: just long enough to get the pattern of each row down, then it just flows so easily. I'm having so much fun with it, I'll be making another one for a coworker soon! Everyone keeps coming by my desk today wanting it! :lol

I just ordered the book today (:cheer) - so I probably won't be joining the CAL for a couple of weeks(:(). I'm really looking forward to it though! Meanwhile I can finish this ripple afghan I'm working on (feels so good to be crocheting again - :dance - after 2 years of dealing with a righthand abused by excessive PC use at work!)

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the thread and everyone's crocheting vicariously (:D). I also want to send a big :ty to Mermaiden and Dorischan for their corrections. This information will help me when I finally get started.

The folks at the 'Ville are so cool!!

Mermaiden, I love how yours is turning out. I've not been able to get started, my little kiddies are little sickies right now, so I've been going to bed when they do so I don't get sick too. Please keep posting pictures, at least I get to read and see others working on it! :hook

WOW...a CAL using the cover shawl. Wish I had time to remake a sample of my own :0)! "Shimmer" would be an appropriate yarn sub. The rayon twist in it will add a pretty texture, yet not be too busy. However it is a bit finer than the "Premier" and may not work exactly to gauge. So try to keep your work relaxed so the piece will eventually block to size. Honestly, you can use ANY yarn you want or have around to make this design. Just be aware that thinner yarn might result in a small round shawl if you don't work loosely enough... conversely thicker yarn (say a heavier worsted or chunky weight) might give you a bigger round when worked with the same hook. Also, for your fancy stitchwork to be the star, stick to smooth or slightly textured solid colors. Certainly you may use multicolor or fancy yarn, but all I am saying is that your lovely stitch pattern might get lost. Best of luck. Please keep posting your experiences with this CAL. I LOVE IT!

Yours,

Doris

Thank you Doris for the tips!!!! :cheer My book came in today and I LOVE it!!! :manyheart Hard to decide what to make first, but since I love the shawl on the front I will start on it tonight. I've got some lovely yarn that will be perfect for the shawl.

Can't wait to see pics from everyone!

Archived