What Not To Crochet/Knit

iSiSfae

What Not to Crochet blog: Love or Hate?  

641 members have voted

1. 1. What Not to Crochet blog: Love or Hate?

• Love it! It makes me laugh!
    • On the Fence: It's funny, but it's also offensive.
    • Hate it! How can people be that cruel about other people's work!
    • Sorry... Never heard of it!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only been to the site once, because of it's mention here, and I about died laughing. My husband had to come into the office to see what I was howling about, and then he sat beside me to look and laugh. Some of the comments are a bit drastic/crude/snarky, but for the most part it is tongue and cheek; pointing out that not everything we make and do is the most aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes we get wacky, gaudy and tacky, and because we love our craft we don't even realize it. I am sure all of use at one time or another have made something we thought was just AB FAB, to look at it sometime later and think, "What in the world was I thinking when I made that!" I know I have done this many a time. Remember, one person's trash is another's treasure. Like what you like, crochet what you want, but don't be offended when someone else doesn't like it. Just "Count it all joy", and move on to another crocheted masterpiece!!!

I had never seen this site before, I checked it out. I totally agree with those who said it was funny. But it does take all kinds I am sure there are some people and some things that some one will like, all personal preference as far as I can see.....LOL

I, too, am on the fence. Sometimes the posts are really funny, sometimes really harsh.

I also disagree with some of their selections. Sometimes. I can't think of any lately that I liked, but I can recall thinking "well,that's not that bad." or "That's not bad at all. I might actually make that one...":goodorbad

I'm with you. Sometimes, I think that the said 'don't' item would look better in a different yarn or color. Seeing as sometimes the idea was good, just not the implentation.

After looking at the site, which I've never seen before, I think that some of the things are pretty cool, and some are just funny.

Funny you should mention... a famous crochet designer found one of her creations on that site... and she laughed!

It cracks me up... but I also remember that we are all 'fiber artists' and just like some art out there in the world, there's a lot of it that just doesn't appeal to me, but other people like it.

Viva la difference!

The site cracks me up! I think we have all seen things that were hand made and had to scramble to find something nice to say. "Um, it certainly is unique! Must have been a lot of hard work...etc" anything but "How pretty". We've probably all made stuff that will only be brought out as a last resort. I have a blanket I spent hours on that will only see the light of day if the heat goes out and I run out of fire wood and junk mail to burn and the other jillion blankets I have are just not enough. I would hope I am not the only one :)

I love "what not to crochet". I've even crocheted and worn and gotten praises on on of the things they blasted....everyone has different taste, everyone has seen SOMETHING that someone else has spent alot of effort and time on that we just want to puke on when we see it,sometimes it's even somoething we have made ourself, but good manners prevent us from doing so. What not to Crochet may not always be right about what they blast, but the site is always fun to visit and alot of the time they are spot on.

Never heard of them

But thanks for the links! I've seen a lot of those patterns before & I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one that thinks they are dreadful.

I'll probably be totally hooked by tomorrow.

.. & then completely bored of them in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...

I think those sites are hilarious!:sofunny Sure, some of the comments aren't exactly nice, but I just ignored them and went to the next. I loved the turkey hat!!!:lol

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I dislike sites like these. I've seen several communities for "art horrors" on Live Journal, for example. In my opinion (which that's all it is, is my own opinion), I don't think that there's ever really any acceptable place for insulting comments towards someone or something they've made.

• 1 month later...

I must admit, I had never heard of these sites. When I finally looked, I felt like I was reading fashion reviews. Fashion trends come and go. Some stick around longer than they probably should. So?

These sites, critical of personal tastes and preferences, are distasteful to me.

On a personal note: I don't find WNtC particularly amusing. I think that if you're going to snark something, you should do it with a bit of wit, and WNtC tends to be more "***! ITS UGLI!!!!" than anything particularly amusing. I'd rather seen a breakdown of what's wrong with the pattern or the yarn color or the basic look than a bunch of netspeak and exclamation points.

I'm 100% with Gayle on this. Just screaming that it's ugly isn't funny, even if the project itself is. I would like the site much more if the comments function was turned off. The visitors are bloodthirsty.

A touch of snark can be fun, if done well and intelligently. Just being mean isn't funny. It's a fine line.

I did get quite a few giggles out of the site today, though.

~ Joy

• 3 months later...

We all have different taste, so be it. But although it is subjective there does seem to be a general consensus of what "good taste" is. I have looked at that blog and I think that the majority of people would find those items to be in bad taste.

On this forum, when someone posts a project that I find utterly horrible, I simply refrain from comment. (If you can't say something nice....) But it is kind of fun to have a blog where you can let loose with your real opinion!

There will always be dissenting opinions, of course and each to her own. I guess if you like the kind of items posted on that site you have to have a thick skin. And who knows, maybe I'll look there one day and see one of MY items posted!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think "What Not To Crochet" is hilarious. The first time I went there, I thought it was a spoof site. I laughed myself sick. When my sister saw it, she told me these were "for real" items. I've seen more since then, and I figure the designers know full well they are making outrageous stuff and know the responses they will draw.

We all know what is relatively normal creativity and what is ourageous. Come on.

Nobody says don't be creative, but if you make something that dangles from your earlobes to the floor, you've got to expect some snickers.

Real Deal

• 1 month later...

Some things i look at i'm like "uuuuuuh WHAT??" but then i think of whoever made it it, and wonder how they'd feel about their work being the object of ridicule. And i remind myself that what i might not like, might appeal to other people.

And i also remind myself that it could be seen as being snobbish by turning my nose up at someone else's project.

I don't really feel bad laughing at them. I consider that most of the horrendous works you see are the result of designers being commissioned to design something out of a particular yarn in order to sell it. They crank out designs to sell patterns and yarn. Most of these aren't necessarily someone's grandmother making a special sweater for a beloved grandchild and then being ridiculed online. In fact I think they only post submissions from patterns that are for sale (for that very reason).

Archived