What Not To Crochet/Knit

iSiSfae

What Not to Crochet blog: Love or Hate?  

641 members have voted

1. 1. What Not to Crochet blog: Love or Hate?

• Love it! It makes me laugh!
    • On the Fence: It's funny, but it's also offensive.
    • Hate it! How can people be that cruel about other people's work!
    • Sorry... Never heard of it!

I think it's one thing to feature some of the patterns that yarn companies or designers are coming up with...some of them can be quite entertaining. But I have seen other groups copying the idea, only they start bashing the work of others. I have seen pictures from all over the place, including some from here, featured on a group's version of this.

I have seen happen to a beginning crocheter and she was really hurt by it. When it starts getting mean, that's when it's gone too far.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was howling when I saw some of the entries. There are some stuff that is not really meant to be crocheted. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It does not bother me, it's actually giving knit and crochet a boost because non-crocheters/knitters find it funny too.

We have the best and worst dressed list of our celebrities (and even then I don't agree) so why not the wntc/wntk sites?

When I am down or bored, I click on the sites for a quick pick me up

BTW, my absolute favorite is the "Crocheted Pasties" entry. I have seen the pictures before separately, but when it was in the blog, it was just too much, I couldn't stop laughing, I was crying!

Oh my word, I just clicked on one of the sites that someone posted on What Not To Crochet's responses to the most recent entry.

Not for the faint of heart, ummm, it's really shocking. I wish I hadn't clicked on it. Time to clean out my mind now.

It's so entertaining and I'll admit, without shame, that i can't wait to make some of them! I love crazy, kitschy stuff!

The braided yarn wig, for example, has my attention because, my daughter, who has short hair, has been obcessing about long hair, as of late. She's 4 and wears her turtlenecks on her head like 'long hair'. I think that she'd really like one. Also, I do middle eastern dance, the more tribal/folkoric/ historical stuff. One of my teachers said that girls used to make braids out of yarn and tuck them into their turbans, as fake hair. That pattern would be great for that as well.

more!:hook More!

:thumbdown:goodorbad:tup

ok....hmmmmmm!

I went to both for the first time, just now, and I thought it was funny.

(I didn't read peoples comments, either.....)

YET....I have been to some others, and they were downright cruel.

I don't approve of nasty comments, but WHAT NOT TO......if they stick with that, OK. We have all, most likely anyway, crocheted -or knitted-something ugly.....we usually just laugh about it........and never do that item again!

As an idea, I like both the sites. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a place, outside of the usual forums, to poke a little fun at crochet. It keeps people from being rude and nasty to other people in a forum like this one, where it's about the fun of crochet.

On a personal note: I don't find WNtC particularly amusing. I think that if you're going to snark something, you should do it with a bit of wit, and WNtC tends to be more "***! ITS UGLI!!!!" than anything particularly amusing. I'd rather seen a breakdown of what's wrong with the pattern or the yarn color or the basic look than a bunch of netspeak and exclamation points.

WNtK, on the other hand, was usually pretty witty, and I was sad to see it go. As a very, very novice knitter, I get a big kick out of seeing the kinds of things experienced knitters can do to ruin a lovely skein of yarn.

Gayle

On a personal note: I don't find WNtC particularly amusing. I think that if you're going to snark something, you should do it with a bit of wit, and WNtC tends to be more "***! ITS UGLI!!!!" than anything particularly amusing. I'd rather seen a breakdown of what's wrong with the pattern or the yarn color or the basic look than a bunch of netspeak and exclamation points.

Gayle

Not a half bad idea, why dont you email the creator, I beliueve theres a link on there for that.

I love the blog! :lol The one-size-fits-most thong especially made me giggle!

Hey come on know I seriously have knit myself 2 bikini bottoms. lol

this falls under like someone said before they they might even try the stuff.

sometime I knit or crochet just to knit or crochet, who cares if I dont ever use or look at it. lol as they say.

Just for ... and giggles:blush

Hey come on know I seriously have knit myself 2 bikini bottoms. lol

this falls under like someone said before they they might even try the stuff.

sometime I knit or crochet just to knit or crochet, who cares if I dont ever use or look at it. lol as they say.

Just for ... and giggles:blush

did you even see the thong? it's completely non-functional (done in dc when it should have been sc) and looks like it would chafe severely. swimsuit bottoms i have no issue with b/c i've seen so many cute swimsuit patterns out there. i think a crocheted thong, if done in a fuzzy yarn would be funny as a bachelorette party gift. but that's my humble opinion.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and a lot of times you can't control what people will say in the comments. i have a blog and i moderate all my comments to make sure i like what's being said/what's being said matches up with the pattern commented. maybe the moderator of the blog should do the same. and instead of posting a comment, email her, there's a link with her email on the site... it's under the submission guidelines.

i find the pics of the items to be funny, the comments to be downright rude at times, but i usually don't read the comments, just look at the pics. i'll leave my own, but i've never outright slammed an item, mainly why i dislike it and how it could be made better. sometimes i agree with the opinion of the blogger, sometimes i don't, it really depends on the item for example: the blogger hated the pirate doll that's modeled after Capt. Jack Sparrow... i loved it! but i didn't let her taste offend me! i looked at the pic again and said to myself i could see how someone could find it ugly

thanks to everyone who participated in the poll! would love to see more thoughts on the issue!

Who ever said things we make had to be functional?

I did say before..."just for giggles"

I by far am not saying this in a rude manner I am actuallu lol quite hard.

I dont know who the designer and wish I would have looked closer for a link, but I think sometimes people dont intend them for actual use.

my family is always asking what I am making and sometimes I admit to making non sense things just to make them laugh and they can see you can have fun with handcrafting and kinda tease the craft you love.

If you cant laugh at yourself ...who can you laugh at.

I say the site is all in fun, no one should take anything seriously.

Take it with a grain of salt.

I think its okay to post and make fun of patterns and items that are available for sale in magazines or websites like Lionbrand. Where it all goes horribly wrong though is when people post pictures and make fun of unsuspecting folks who simply want to enjoy their own creations.

Recently I came across a knitting blog where two women took photos of attendees at some sort of fair or conference with their cell phone. They then posted the photos complete with nasty commentary about the knitted and crocheted items the women wore, and even worse, about the women's weight! It was very personal, malicious, and infantile. If I came across a picture of myself in a blog like that, I would have a heart attack! Ironically, one of the women is a crochet designer for Interweave, and several of her own patterns would be perfect fodder for WNtC!

• 2 weeks later...
a lot of us are familiar with the what not to crochet blog and it's sister site what not to knit

Has anyone received the ANNIES ATTIC Jan. 2007 magazine? The thong from 'what not to crochet blog' is in it!! Advertised as a great shower gift. To each their own - don't get me wrong. I showed my DD and she said 'who in the heck would wear a crocheted thong?" :lol

so does it say the designer??? I know its sounds funny but thats one thing I would like on WNTC/K...links to the designers. It would be interesting to see what other silly things they have made.

but you know the thing about bachlorette parties is you get 100 things that are just gag gifts , not alot of practical things. so heck if it brings a smile who cares, its definately one to laugh about.

• 3 weeks later...

wow some of the stuff was funny but i didn't read the comment...but did anyone see the pasties? Now that was funny!! hehe and as for the thong I think they are cute and someone on there has a free pattern for thongs...I think they are cute and not really meant to be worn for a long period of time...hehe

• 2 weeks later...

It is all in good humor. If you don't want to be criticized then don't put yourself out there. I think the sites are genius and quite funny to see how some people take creativity and originality to a whole new level of "what were they thinking".

People are so easily offended by every little thing nowadays and it seems like we should all learn to laugh at ourselves and not take things so seriously. Life is too short to worry what others think about us or what we do or create.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived