What Not To Crochet/Knit

iSiSfae

What Not to Crochet blog: Love or Hate?  

641 members have voted

1. 1. What Not to Crochet blog: Love or Hate?

• Love it! It makes me laugh!
    • On the Fence: It's funny, but it's also offensive.
    • Hate it! How can people be that cruel about other people's work!
    • Sorry... Never heard of it!

a lot of us are familiar with the what not to crochet blog and it's sister site what not to knit

it has its fans and it has its detractors... and i've met people from both extremes.

i was curious to see how many people on here love or hate WNtC/WNtK

i for one love them. a lot of the items just make me laugh... the comments can be hateful, but just the images of the items alone make me laugh (the mere site of some of the items makes me laugh so hard i hurt my stomach). but i know a lot of crocheters don't feel that way. there are also a few items i've liked and thought "with modification, it won't be as bad!" but those are few and far between.

now that i've said my piece... let the polling begin!

so who here loves it and who here hates it and who's just plain indifferent.... or who here never heard of it until you saw this thread?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, am on the fence. Sometimes the posts are really funny, sometimes really harsh.

I also disagree with some of their selections. Sometimes. I can't think of any lately that I liked, but I can recall thinking "well,that's not that bad." or "That's not bad at all. I might actually make that one...":goodorbad

without saying to much and incrimnating myself.

I know how does and site and no I am not saying a word.

but in that personas defense, alot of those are found by other viewers and it is just like anything else, if you dont like it just turn it off and dont look, and if you do like it great!

But yes as an above poster said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. and just because I totally love something does not mean others do. but hey if you find something on there you actually like, hey look it was free advertising for that designer!

It's amazing how much of the stuff I see on the sites that I've seen places and thought "what in the world were they thinking?", so though I've never seen the sites before today, I love them.

Never really looked at the site before, but at the same time, I really think it's kinda like a slap in the face to crocheters around the world. It's all personal taste... I'd be hurt if someone said something i made was ugly, only because I know how much time and effort is put into something hand made. Myself, I like to try different patterns just for the fun of it, regardless of the preceived beauty(or lack thereof!).

I really find that I agree with a lot of the stuff... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING when they came up with some of these things! I am never offended... and I've even found something I had made on there! It didn't make me like it any less - I actually got a chuckle out of seeing it there!:lol

I believe in freedom of speach and freedom to NOT go to a site that one finds offensive!

People who put their work out there have to be prepared for the criticisms :thumbdownas well as the praise:tup......we can not be "All things to All people", and there are many times where I see people going on and on about some pattern or whatever and I am like.... so what:think is the big deal here???? But I too agree with freedom of speech...so if it is not your cup of tea:mug, Heaven knows there are TONS of other sites to go to!:compute

I love it- when I'm in the mood for some snarking. I come to crochetville for the warmest, most supportive place ever, and I go to that site to get the other side of crafting- the side where you must admit that sometimes we all go a little wacky. I've disagreed with them before, and on those items I never read the comments, but I've never been offended by it because the only way the maker of the item will now that it is considered a bit insane is if they themselves go to the site...in which case they probably have a good sense of humour!

I also loved "you knit WHAT?", although it is no longer being updated. It was a bit more out there- a lot less PG-13 rated- but also hilarious.

I find it amusing. I enjoy some of the items they find and plan on making them eventually but I have to agree that some of the patterns are really odd. Thankfully, I have a good sense of humour when it comes to the things I love so I don't get offended easily.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I rarely look, but when I do the selections usually give me a laugh!

Unfortunately though, the websites don't present either knitting or crocheting in a good light! Instead, they feed some of the stereotypes that crocheted items are hokey, or kitschy. I think it would be more appropriate if these things were featured once in awhile in a blog that promotes crochet.

I posted earlier on this subject but in reading a few more replies I thought about those "Worst Dress Lists" and "What Not To Wear" sites...

Like when everyone slows down for a car accident - we've all seen a couple of smashed up cars but human curiosity makes many people want to look an shake their head...

Or American Idol... I only watch during the 'try-out' portion to see the BAD singers, because some are so amazingly terrible...

I think it's the same with these crochet and knit sites: you can look if you want to look and you can find some pretty amazingly bad stuff! Really, some of it is SO awful, so poorly thought-out, truly "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING"... Further up in this thread there is a link to someone's eBay site and these knit suit things - they look like a LOT of work, looks like a tremendous amount of yarn is used, and frankly they are very strange looking things! I don't say that to be mean, I say that 'cause it's true.

Also mentioned within this thead has been that there should be a showcase for nicely done crochet things, too... and WE HAVE THAT! Right here we see our beautifully crocheted original designs and items we make from patterns. Many of us have dozens of books of gorgeous patterns and subscribe to the many wonderful magazines that feature new and creative crocheted and knitted items and designers!

I think we're lucky to live in an age of such diversity that from the same hook I can make a replica 1920's shawl to wear to work and an ear-flap cap with a mohawk going down the middle for my teenage son!

I posted earlier on this subject but in reading a few more replies I thought about those "Worst Dress Lists" and "What Not To Wear" sites...

Like when everyone slows down for a car accident - we've all seen a couple of smashed up cars but human curiosity makes many people want to look an shake their head...

Or American Idol... I only watch during the 'try-out' portion to see the BAD singers, because some are so amazingly terrible...

I think it's the same with these crochet and knit sites: you can look if you want to look and you can find some pretty amazingly bad stuff! Really, some of it is SO awful, so poorly thought-out, truly "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING"... Further up in this thread there is a link to someone's eBay site and these knit suit things - they look like a LOT of work, looks like a tremendous amount of yarn is used, and frankly they are very strange looking things! I don't say that to be mean, I say that 'cause it's true.

Also mentioned within this thead has been that there should be a showcase for nicely done crochet things, too... and WE HAVE THAT! Right here we see our beautifully crocheted original designs and items we make from patterns. Many of us have dozens of books of gorgeous patterns and subscribe to the many wonderful magazines that feature new and creative crocheted and knitted items and designers!

I think we're lucky to live in an age of such diversity that from the same hook I can make a replica 1920's shawl to wear to work and an ear-flap cap with a mohawk going down the middle for my teenage son!

ITA!!:yes

Well, I love the site.. It just goes to show that people are very creative in their arts. If something is considered "ugly" then it is pretty much a one of a kind design which totally promotes individually. Keep making thoes ugly, ummmm I mean those one of a kind peices.. LOL

Archived