Starting my nieces on crocheting

I'm going to have 3 of my nieces (ages 7 through 12) over for Christmas lunch & crafting, & I've decided to give each of them a hook & a red ball of yarn. I'll show them how to make a basic chain and let them take their hooks, yarn, & chains home with them to keep working on. They can each make a long crocheted garland to wrap around their Christmas tree. This was the first thing I made when I was a little girl, and I think it will get them interested in crocheting.

I figure if they enjoy making that, they'll come back & ask for more lessons.

I'm excited about this!

• 4 weeks later...

Heehee...my aunt taught me chains when I was 8 but never taught me anything else (I think she stopped crocheting or something). I didn't know there was anything else *to* do but chains so I proceeded to chain nearly an entire skein of yarn. I think I could run it across my living room about fifteen times before I got sick of doing it...

Ava, that's a cute story. So far, all I've taught my nieces is how to make a chain. They made big long chains & even got competitive about it! haha

I told them to let me know when they were ready to learn the next step but I haven't heard from them. I'm going to try to have them over again & teach them how to do sc's.

I showed them several things I had crocheted to sorta get them motivated, so I thought for sure they'd call me by now to learn more. With the holidays & new toys & all, they've probably forgotten all about crocheting by now. haha

Archived