Curtains in WW

Has anyone tried this pattern for Curtains? It says that it is done in WW. That seems like it would be a bit bulky for curtains. The picture doesn't look bulky at all. I would like to try making these and adding a little embellishment like a shelled edging but I don't want to get started and find out that they aren't what I expected and have to do all that frogging:2frog so if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it and send lots of :hug and :manyheart your way

I was going to say that I wouldn't think it would work but then crochet tends to hang "heavy" and so it could work very well.

The only challenge is that you can't do a 6 inch swatch to see if it works. it takes the full panel to check ow it is going. Well maybe you could do a full-length 6 inch swatch :lol

I'd be worried about the weight of the yarn making it stretch, so that you end up with a "puddle" of curtain on the floor. Especially if you're using an acrylic.

Plus, you'd have to have one heck of a curtain rod to hold it up...I think it would be too heavy.

Maybe if it was done with baby yarn???

Unless you're using shears, or frilly bathroom panels, curtains are heavy. Some heavy enough that they require one of those little support hooks in the middle of the rod. The one's I use in my house are very thick and heavy with a thick white liner on the back. They shouldn't pool on the floor if you measure before hand, just make them an inch shorter than your measurement. Unless you're going for the "frilly" look, I don't think heaviness would be an issue if you use the proper rod with a support hook in the middle. If you don't want thick heavy curtains, then as someone else suggested, use baby weight or even sport weight. If I were going to make these, that's what I'd use.

Frogging is just part of the craft :). I say go for it.

I once crocheted a housecoat for myself and it stretched 6 inches longer after it was made. I was using two strands so that made it heavier but I always remember that one.

Over that distance, you would get a good bit of heft.

They're made side to side and not top to bottom so I wonder if that makes a difference.

I agree, being worked from side to side shouldn't stretch like if it was made from top to bottom (or bottom to top), you would think anyway :think

I can't help, but here's a random fact: in the 1900's (maybe earlier, later, that's an approximate date) rich families let their curtains pool as a subtle social communication. Every inch of curtain that pooled out on the carpet meant a million bucks you had in the bank. That way everyone could tell which friends were the richest without anyone having to boast out loud.

So if your curtain pools, maybe those millions will appear? :)

I can't help, but here's a random fact: in the 1900's (maybe earlier, later, that's an approximate date) rich families let their curtains pool as a subtle social communication. Every inch of curtain that pooled out on the carpet meant a million bucks you had in the bank. That way everyone could tell which friends were the richest without anyone having to boast out loud.

So if your curtain pools, maybe those millions will appear? :)

:rofl then maybe I'll make them about 20 inches too long lol

I have curtains I crocheted with ww hanging in my kitchen, bedroom and on the back door. I didn't use that pattern, just a stitch I was addicted to about 3 years ago and Caron 1 lb yarn (in green for the kitchen, blue for the bedroom). They only stretched about 2" (the kitchen window set is about 24 x 36 and the bedroom set is 3' x 5' tall). They hang nice. They don't sag (mine have a hem on the top and that is what the rod is pushed thru). You can wash them, stick them in the dryer and then hang them straight up - no pressing needed! I made them because I couldn't afford to buy any at that time. Now, I don't want to replace them. :hook

I made them because I couldn't afford to buy any at that time. Now, I don't want to replace them.

That's exactly why I want to make them! Thank you for your input! Here are the hugs and love I promised to everyone!

:hug:manyheart:hug:manyheart:hug:manyheart:hug:manyheart:hug:manyheart:hug:manyheart

p.s. those were the most I could put in one post or else there would have been more lol

Archived