My poor stash....

I just cleaned out my yarn cupboard :yes I was feeling very good about doing this, because it was a complete mess.

Well, I have now thrown out 4 garbage bags of miscellaneous UFO's :blush Now all I have left is a whole heap of yarn. I don't know what to do with it? There's not really enough of any one thing to make anything remotely nice looking. And while I'm making a scrap-ripple-ghan, there's more yarn than I could ever need.

I did find a few great yarns that I had forgotten completely about! I can think about so many things to make with that lot....now I'm completely frazzled and itching to make something new!

Does anyone else get hopelessly excited when they find yarn in their stash that they haven't seen for a while?

Yes, I threw them away! None of them were very big, just a few rows here and there. Plus, for some reason, I didn't have enough of the same yarn to complete them? I don't even remember starting most of them!

It's taught me one thing though, only work on a few things at a time!

>> None of them were very big, just a few rows here and there. Plus, for some reason, I didn't have enough of the same yarn to complete them? I don't even remember starting most of them! <<

Tell yourself that they were "gauge swatches" -- that would make me feel a little better about tossing them out, if they were mine. :-)

Oh my I could never bring myself to throw away UFO's:eek Somehow I always feel there's something I can do with even the tinest bit of yarn or turn something into something else:clap Guess that's why I have such a hoard:blush

:manyheart

Yes, I threw them away! None of them were very big, just a few rows here and there. Plus, for some reason, I didn't have enough of the same yarn to complete them? I don't even remember starting most of them!

It's taught me one thing though, only work on a few things at a time!

:faint Say it isn't so!

Those poor UFOs. They probably had grand dreams of becoming pot holders or tiny pieces in a giant afghan.

On the bright side, you did get to play with your yarn and discover some you forgot buying.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

C'mon guys, no guilt-tripping about throwing away UFO's. No one is answerable to other people regarding what they do with their own yarny goodness. :)

No hard feelings, y'all, but sometimes we come across a little stronger than we mean :)

I would highly suggest you all getting a yarn winder (Jo Ann's has it online and it's a deal with the 50% off online coupon).

The yarn winder helps with frogging of the UFO's and looks very neat and orderly and you can stack the "cakes" to make organization easier.

I have done this with a lot of my UFO's and it takes a lot of the guilt away.

But, I still have put up yarn and thread on the curb and on FreeCycle. I just have waay too much yarn :lol

C'mon guys, no guilt-tripping about throwing away UFO's. No one is answerable to other people regarding what they do with their own yarny goodness. :)

No hard feelings, y'all, but sometimes we come across a little stronger than we mean :)

Thanks for this...I was feeling soooo guilty! I had to do it, it was so overwhelming...it had to go...:think

I had a knitted UFO for several years - even moved it with me into my marriage, and then to a house. It was all messed up, but I always felt like I couldn't start another project until I finished it. Flylady told me to get rid of it, so I did :lol, and it took a load of guilt off. :yay After that, I was able to move on and learned to crochet instead! :hook

As for what to do with your yarn remnants -- I remember seeing a pattern over at Crochet me for a stash-yarn sweater. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was probably something like "stash buster sweater" or "stash buster cardigan." I do remember thinking that it was a good idea, and looked pretty cool!

If you don't like frogging things, find something you want to make with yarn from a UFO. Frog a enough to start the new project, then frog the UFO as you work (like pulling from a skien). It's easier than frogging and winding first.

For stash busting, take all your small balls and make a scrumble afghan.

You start with one ball, and when you get near the end tie on another and keep going. You can get a really colorful piece.

Ellie 13

my dh dog got into a piece i was workin gon and it got all knotted up i will spend houurs frogging and nknotting to keep from throwing a 199 skein of yarn away, dh thinks its nuts my time should worth more than that. but i just cant . i recently got some of my grandmothers stash and i will spend hours frogging things i cant save.

You are lucky to be able to just toss your UFO out I frog mine and make them into charity squares never worry about tossing things gift your UFO as RAOk one of use will frog them and put the yarn to good use.

use for small pieces of yarn you can also make snuggles for pet and donate to your local Humane society.

Archived