I think I can finally make a sweater now. . .

OK, I've shied away from garments so far because I was afraid that I'd mess them up or that they'd be like tents or too tight or whatever. I'm totally ignorant of garment construction and was afraid to knit or crochet from the bottom up, then find out after hours of work that it wasn't going to fit.

I got that out-of-print book, Modular Crochet, from the 1970s. I think I can actually do this! You work in rectangles. You start by making the first one the length you want it--no hard patterns to follow! If you can single crochet, double crochet, and do basic in-the-round (how they do sleeves), you can do this.

I really wish that someone would pick this book up again and republish it. I had to pay a lot for it, but it was worth it because I've dreamed of making garments. If anyone out there has any pull in the industry (I don't, just a dreadfully ordinary woman), please let someone know that this book needs to be out there. Anyhow, off to start my first sweater! :clap

If you need another sweater pattern that's easy for a clothing beginner to do, try Dot Matthew's sweater pattern http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/72.html

She writes her patterns so clearly. I was able to figure it out. Before I tried her pattern, I'd managed to make two vests, but hadnt been able to figure out sleeves. Dot's pattern fixed that problem for me.

Here's a picture of my mom wearing the sweater I made from Dot's pattern. I used Red Heart Super Saver Blue and a K hook.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/ErinLindsey/PB140026.jpg

That's great that you found a good source to get you started making garments...rectangles is a great way to learn...you could even take that basic concept and apply it to sewing...I used to do that myself back when I was a teen...made a lot of kimono style jackets (sewing) and sweaters (crochet) that way...good luck and look forward to seeing some finished projects down the road...

One thing that I have found crucial is measurements (even with rectangles...) For me personally it's crucial because of my arms especially...I have short arms with batman upper arms...

I'd have someone help you take your measurements and keep a master...you will have more success down the road with whatever you make for yourself if you take your measurements and make things according to your measurements...and you will love the feel of a garment that is made exactly to your measurements...

Wow Erin, your mom looks wonderful in that pretty blue cardigan! Thanks for the link to that pattern. Euro, you're right--I do need to take some measurements. I'll have to get with my mother, who used to make all our clothes. I've never sewn, so garment construction is like Greek to me, but I think I can figure it out.

I love the fact that this technique is done sideways; you get some benefits from it: (1) you can vary the length on the fly, from cropped to below the behind; (2) you don't need a pattern, and (3) I like the drape of sideways crochet. You can also vary the width. The first project in the book is made to fit, of course, the model in the picture, who is my height but a bit smaller than I am (though not emaciated like the ones today), so I decided to add an inch here and there in different rectangles. With a complicated pattern, if you add or subtract chains, as we all know, you mess the pattern up. The beauty of this is that it will still look just as good either way.

Of course, the one I'm working on now is very basic. But lacking much natural talent at this, I have to start at the very beginning of garments. I can't just dive into some intricate, complicated pattern--I'd mess up and then be discouraged in the future from trying tops again. With this I can succeed at the basics and get a feel for gauge, measurements, etc., then I later on might have the confidence to try a harder pattern. In the meantime, even with this simple technique I can create very different looks using different yarns, lengths, widths, necklines, etc. If I never move on from it, I can at least make a sweater, tank top, or vest (even a dress), which is more than I thought I could do.

I just wish they'd print this book again. Every crocheter ought to have it available. It makes so much sense.

"I love the fact that this technique is done sideways; you get some benefits from it: (1) you can vary the length on the fly, from cropped to below the behind; (2) you don't need a pattern, and (3) I like the drape of sideways crochet. You can also vary the width. The first project in the book is made to fit, of course, the model in the picture, who is my height but a bit smaller than I am (though not emaciated like the ones today), so I decided to add an inch here and there in different rectangles. With a complicated pattern, if you add or subtract chains, as we all know, you mess the pattern up. The beauty of this is that it will still look just as good either way"

About 20 years ago I made several sweaters and sweater vests this way for Christmas gifts...and got yelled at by my SIL for NOT WRITING THE PATTERNS DOWN...I never used a copyrighted or commercial pattern for crocheting then...yep, sounds like a great book...I'm so excited for you!

Hmmm, sounds like we need to write a new book on the subject! I know that there are copyright laws, but people seem to write endless numbers of books on crochet itself, which repeat similar information (such as a single crochet technique for example). I wonder if it would be OK if we designed our own patterns and tweaked the procedure a little. I'd like to make this technique available at a reasonable price. I mean, many folks would buy the book if weren't out of print. Just a thought. . . I've always wanted to write a book.

I have the book (Modular Crochet). I was looking through ebay and saw someone list and out of curiosity, looked at the cost. After I picked myself back off the floor, (I fell out of my computer chair) I was shocked. ($195 was the one I saw) Oh my! I paid $1 at a thrift store for my copy and that was 50% off books day.

I think the book is awesome. I haven't had time to try one, but it sure makes it look easy. I loved the fact that the men's sweaters were in it. I would like to make my hubby one, but I don't like the ones with the bands on the bottome. I like the straight lines.

You might check your local thrift stores or used bookstores.

If you have the book, put it in a safe or something! I told my DH that it the house catches on fire, that we must grab my son and that book :lol since I paid a lot for it and it's pretty much irreplaceable. I too am glad that it has guy sweaters in it. I'm also having visions of cotton summer tops dancing in my head . . . . :heehee Who knows, once I get good this, I might actually buy some higher-quality yarn. Right now, I'm experimenting with Caron SS (Autumn Red). I'll post some when I get done, or maybe even some steps while it's in progress.

Archived