doilies what to do with them

I have been seeing a pattern on my surfing where they take a doily style pattern to make a vest-like garment.

You make two of the 'doily' you want BUT,

You leave out arm slots/spaces on one area of the "doily".

stitch the two backs together in some artistic way

add straps

find a way to lace, close up the front.

That is rather vague but i don't have a specific link and the pattern is a diagram - not legal. :no

I might try making one so I could post a pic.... Unless someone else who could make one and wear it wanted to try the technique

Welcome to the wonderful world of doilies.

I've always liked skirts and dresses made of doilies.

My friend gives her doilies as gifts. I loved recieving mine. I put itin my china cabinet and it is a wonderful way to think of my friend everday.:hug

How about making a suncatcher doily? I've seen these and they look awesome hung in a window. You could even embellish them with beads and ribbon:

• Buy metal hoops in different sizes, so that you can make doily suncatcher of different sizes.
  • Crochet any circular doily pattern but adapt it to a size smaller than the inside diameter of the metal hoop.
  • Spray starch on your crocheted doily pattern and iron it flat.
  • Center the doily inside the metal hoop and attach it to the hoop using crochet thread.
  • You have to choose on what points to attach the doily because that may make your doily suncatcher look different.
  • Pull on the pattern while tying the thread so that the doily is taut and stiff.
  • Trim any excess threads.

A few smaller doilies can be stitched onto the front of a colored t-shirt to jazz it up, a few of them can be sewn onto tote bags or purses, make them in flowery colors and add leaves or whatever for decorations... make 6 (or 8 or 12) depending on your dining room, and use them as very special placemats.......they look lovely under a candy dish or a candle as a simple centerpiece......make a long line of smaller ones and use them as a shelf edging in your kitchen or bathroom or bedroom......your imagination is the limit!

You can always applique them onto squares of fabric and make a quilt. The ones I've seen are very pretty.

Archived