doilies what to do with them

well ive been thinking of trying oiut thread crochet..but it seems 90% of that is all for doilies , they are very pretty but we arent much for putting them on a coffee table (or whatever you do with those thiigs) heck we dont even have a coffee table. and im not too sure who would actually use them if i gave them away except maybe my mother inlaw. any other ideas..or what do you all do with them after youve made them?

You know you don't have to make doilies to use thread. You can make all sorts of other things with it as well.

Tampa Doll makes her stuffed critters.

Or you can make Bookmarkers, Pincushions, edgings. Pillowtops, Curtins, Clothing, shawls, scarves, purses,whatever. Your imagination is the only limit.

So don't make a doily unless you really want to. Thread is only a medium. Make what you want to out of it. True it may take longer. But the look and feel of a piece done in thread. Wonderful

I'm right there with you. I haven't made any doilies either but have some thread and steel hooks ready to go. My mother would like them as she has a Victorian-style house. If you don't like doilies and don't have any gift recipients who do, don't worry--you can also make bookmarks, table runners, tablecloths, and even bedspreads using thread and filet techniques. Check out crochetpatterncentral.com for some ideas.

I love laying my doilies out around the house. It gives the house that homey loved feeling I think. My 4year old Brea has a better use for them, she runs around with them on her head like hats. I let her keep a few of them for this purpose and crocheted a chain on each side so she can wear them like a bonnet. Depending on their size, you could use them to wrap up little treats or potpourri and hand them out as thank you gifts. If you do use potpourri, I would suggest wrapping it up in a mesh bag before wrapping it in the doily.

How about framing them? I'm currently working on filet crochet patterns for all the seasons of the year for a little nook in my dining room.

Just a thought.:2snowman Happy Holidays!!

I know that having people's last names done in a strip of filet crochet and framed was an uber-popular item a few years ago- lots of people who would never use a doily love having their name done up in what is essentially a doily that you frame.

Besides the framing, you could also get some dollheads, attatch them to the center of the doily, and it becomes the dress,,,,,a smaller doily folded and attatched to the back of that will become wings,,,,then ta-DAH! You now have a doily angel. or,,,,,if angels aren't your thing,,,,make a lacy boquet edging around flower arrangements. Or,,,,turn a bowl upside down, lie the doily on that, and add starch. A lacy bowl has been made!! Umm,,,,gather the doily into a bunch, add potpourri or aromatic herbs, then tie it shut with a ribbon. A pretty sachet,,,,, ok, I stop now! LOL!!

I've made afghans out of doily patterns... I took a one piece pineapple doily pattern, used worsted weight yarn (RH) and a K hook and made a throw for my aunt...who promptly decided that it would work better as a tablecloth...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/ErinLindsey/more%20crochet%20pictures/P4142532.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/ErinLindsey/more%20crochet%20pictures/P4142530.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/ErinLindsey/more%20crochet%20pictures/P4142531.jpg

I'm thinking of doing another one from the same pattern in a different color to use as a tree skirt for a christmas tree.

I also suggest framing them. Not only individually, but I'm doing a layered, random doily project. Just saving them up and using them to fill a large, poster sized frame from end to end. Multiple colors, sizes and patterns. It should be really strange and wonderful when it's done!

I've also done doily patters with different sizes of yarn as blankets, pillow-toppers, tablecloths, etc. You can also starch them and put them in windows as suncatchers. I've even taken a doily chart, followed only a quarter of it, and glued the result onto a fan frame. Now I have a lovely lace hand fan for the summer!

Like others have said, the possibilities are endless!

If you wanted to start small you could always do bookmarks in thread, there are a ton of free patterns out there. They are usually easy, depending on the design, and I'm hooked, I have made over 60 + (?) in the last 4 months, (I sell them and have made several for the mission Jesus loves you tote bags for the Bibles in them as gifts) They are a great way to start. Small amount of time and a very good "happy" feeling to complete something. ;)

Erin that would be a great tree skirt

Thanks... I really want to do another one now, but it's too late for this year's tree. Already have the tree up and in the stand (but not decorated yet...the pre-lit lights and I are having a disagreement.

I might do one for next year tho.

i really like all of your ideas...i think i might just start small with book marks since i read alot they will be used...som of the doilies are just so pretty i want to make them all lol at least now i have some ideas of what to do with em so they just dont gather dust ...but of course all this will have to wait until i finish my mothers xmas gift (matching pillows to the afghan i made her...for once she told me just what she wanted no thinking on my part ...well besides coming up with a pattern) hmm lokign at the calander i should probably be woking on that now insted of being on the net lol

thanks again for all of your ideas!

A lady bought some small doilies off of me once, and then appliqued them to quilt squares and made her daughter a wedding quilt. It was fantastic. So, if you also sew........

You can make really beautiful hair scrunchies, barbie dresses, doo dads to tie on gift packages, ornaments galore...the possibilities are really endless with thread. Don't give up yet!:hook

Would it be possible to do a doily pattern for a rug? Maybe holding to strands of wwyarn together?

I used to have a pattern book for "floor doilies". (it got accidentally tossed by my dad...still havent found a replacement for it yet) It was a Leisure Arts leaflet and had a couple of patterns with pineapples in it. Wish I still had that leaflet.

Another idea that I haven't seen mentioned here is hair scrunchies. I've only done one from a pattern (probably from Crochetpatterncentral !); the rest I've improvised; mostly with two threads and a slightly larger hook. This gives a nicely textured look, and varying the colours keeps them all different. A bonus is that keeping a bag with a spool or two of thread, a hook and an assortment of hair elastics in a bag ready to take with one is a good boredom buster! :hook

I've also used thread for seasonal decorations: hearts for DD's valentines one year and shamrocks for St Patrick's day came from coaster patterns done in thread. Then there were the tiny Easter Baskets - my first starching project...

------------

Tracie

i saw on a site http://www.creadoo.com using them to make suncatchers but making a wire frame for them.

thread work is definately not limited to doilies though! there are some gorgeous headscarves, sock tops, booties, bonnets, dolls and doll clothes etc etc. If you like that toy dog, try it in thread rather than yarn. only your imagination is the limit :D

In Greece, they use string crocheted squares, circles, graph patterns as glass covers, also I used two matching dollies on clear glass shade lamps in my bedroom to dim the light. Just a few ideas.

Tracey

How about framing them? I'm currently working on filet crochet patterns for all the seasons of the year for a little nook in my dining room.

Just a thought.:2snowman Happy Holidays!!

I framed a large doily for my mom as a gift once.

Also, if you want to try thread crochet, how about some snowflakes? Those are relatively quick (except that you still have to block and stiffen them), and they look so pretty on your Christmas tree!

i just saw this today in either woman's day or family circle magazine. they used paper doilies folded over a ribbon and strung them as a garland around a christmas tree. there was space between them. the same thing could be done with thread doilies. these looked to be around 6 to 8 inch round ones.

Archived