Rhymes with BICO- well not really

I just wanted a flashy title :heehee

I am going to be making a baby set in a very bright, cheerful, pretty yellow colour that may be for a boy or a girl. I don't know about the sex yet.

I will be making a BICO and a hat as we have been doing all along but I am wondering about a blanket pattern that would really go with the BICO. One that would really play up the basic nature of it.

Making row after row of HDC's is not something that stirs my heart so it needs interest but it does have to complement the simple nature of the sweater.

Any suggestions for a stitch/blanket pattern that would go with? :hook

Freebies please

Well, you could do blocks of dc; I find that doing blocks of the simple stitches makes it more satisfying, since you "finish" sooner.

Use different colors.

OR, You could make the blanket OUT of BICOs. Just do the back and the sleeves (making them the same width) and arrange them together, using them as blocks. It's so blocky and square, that would totally work. Don't do the slip stitches for the neckline - just crochet dcs across to get that sweater-y look.

Heck, if you don't make a BICO blankie, I think I will! My aunt in Vermont, who got the first BICO I made, needs some blankies for her baby.

Let me go noodle around on some graph paper and see what I can come up with.

Sounds cute.... you'd have to even it out the sleeve length and width to make it work... Say a newborn size BICO with a 10" base width, go 5 inches, then add the sleeves (5" on each side for 5 more inches. So the top half (sleeve & body) is 20" x 5" and the bottom half (body only) is 10" x 5". Then a sleeve turned sideways would fit in the 5"x 5" opening. Make sense? You could make a 30" x 40" blanket out of 8 BICO halves.

Here's a link to a schematic drawing with 4 BICO sections..

what do you think?

I love that idea!! I think I'm gonna steal it, okay??? My mom has asked me to make a couple of baby sets for co-workers of hers and there is one that I know will just LOVE the blanket made from the sweater halves!!! Great idea!!!

:clap:clap:clap

Jessie

bico-blanket-plan.jpg

My version of a BICO Blankie - four BICO backs with contrasting squares at the corners and one large contrasting square in the center.

You could even add buttons to the BICO parts, and do some scs on the top to mimic the contrasting edging of a real BICO.

I was planning to put some edging around the edges too. I do like the plan that Ginny has and it really would need the edging and detail to separate the parts. I have been debating colours - This could be lots of fun.

Archived