CGOA - again lol

Anyone know how long before they process the membership? I've yet to get my ID and signin :(

Ditto! I've been waiting since last Thursday. I submitted my app. around 5:30am.

I emailed them via the contact us link Monday to inquire as to the status of my membership but haven't heard back.

I did note when checking my CC online this morning I DO finally have a charge pending for them but I haven't heard anything. If it's just one person taking care of the memberships maybe they are just swamped or busy with other things so it doesn't go through right away.

I'm a member. I can't remember how long until I got the email confirmation, 2 weeks maybe?

After you get your stuff you can join the yahoo group. I'm on that. They have had CAL's that are fun.

Well it would be nice to access the stuff I paid to be able to access, but it's now 5 days after they processed the card via my bank and still no reply? No member number? no thank you for the money your membership is being processed... no nothing?

My goodness, any site now can send instant notification when you join up... I always thought the CGOA was a little better organized than this. I hope I don't regret joining.. Right at this point I'm not too happy with them. :(

A lot of the jobs at CGOA are filled by volunteers. For example, the message board moderator is a volunteer. I believe she is not able to approve/add people to the message board until she receives updated lists from membership to confirm the information that people provide to her.

Sometimes things do seem to take a little longer than I would like, but I try to remember that it's volunteers doing a lot of the work, and I try to cut them a bit of slack. After all, I'm a volunteer here, too, and it's not always possible to assist everyone instantly.

I seem to remember that it took quite awhile to get my membership activated and the Crochet! magazine subscription coming, too. But eventually it got all worked out. :) I had been concerned that since the magazine is a benefit of membership that I might not get my full 6 issues, but that was a needless worry.

I'm a member! Great info. Plus you may want to check with your LYS's. My LYS offers a 10% discount if I flash them my paper card. :yay

I agree with Amy. It took about two weeks for my membership confirmation and I understood then that it was because volunteers were processing it. The wheels grind a bit slowly there but it's all for a good cause so don't despair! :D

Volunteers are all fine and good... my point is that websites can be set up to send membership information when the fee is paid. I could understand this better if it was snail mail and a personal check.. not a credit card where it was paid online. I just thought this was a bigger organization than this.. even small companies usually have twice (or even once??) a week when things are caught up with correspondence wise via email or mailings.

No, I'm not being impatient.. they processed the fee.. someone was notified about that I'm sure. Even our small hosting business sends out emails automatically when fees are paid and the account activated within 12 hours or so. I'd at least like to hear from them in some form or fashion... even an automated email is better than.. just nothing.:no

Donna, I'm sorry you've been disappointed by your experience with CGOA. But they really aren't that big of an organization. They do not have a ton of money to pay employees, which is why they rely heavily on the services of volunteers for much of the work that is done. I don't think as much of the process is as automated as you would like it to be. Yes, websites can be set up to do what you want, but I'm not sure anyone at CGOA has that necessary skill set.

It would be great if some really terrific web designer would volunteer their time to make a state-of-the-art completely automated website for CGOA. Because I know they don't have the money to pay someone to design that type of thing for them.

At first, I also was disappointed with the slow rate at which some things seem to occur with CGOA. However, after being a member for two years, I've now decided that the slow response time is worth it. I've received a lot of value from being part of their members-only email list, and I like knowing that I'm supporting the purposes of this organization.

Only you can decide whether the benefits you see of being a member are worth the frustrations you are encountering. :)

Have you contacted CGOA through the Contact Us link on their website to express your concerns directly to them, and to give them a chance to address them for you?

Have you contacted CGOA through the Contact Us link on their website to express your concerns directly to them, and to give them a chance to address them for you?

Twice now. I guess it will remain to be seen.. so far I'm not too happy with them. :(

Updated to say I did finally get an email after I posted this with my member number.. finally. I was about to pick up the phone and start asking questions lol :)

Donna,

I felt so bad for you reading your posts last night. I had been planning on joining the CGOA and kinda reconsidered after all that waiting you had to do, but I thought I'd join last night and see how long the took with me... I got my membership number in my email today :blush I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience!

I'm glad yours went through well .. mine came through today as well so maybe it was just "work the new members day"?

Now if they could understand that 1mb+ pdf files are nearly impossible to view on dialup... *rolling eyes* lol :)

Archived