"Vancouver" felted bag

Wendy79

Second in my "series" of bags I'm making for vacations! (Last one was the "Chicago" purse. I'll be in Vancouver for Christmas.) This was my first experiment with felting. The crocheting process wasn't too much fun--so much repetition, and I really thought it looked ugly and shapeless while I was making it--but I'm thrilled with the results. The stripes are dark, so you might have to adjust your screen to see them.

felt2.jpg

Pre-felting:

prefelting.jpg

Why you SHOULD always swatch, and probably SHOULDN'T try to felt Wool of the Andes by boiling:

feltswatch.jpg

You can see in the swatch that most of the color leached out, especially from the green--yup, those are the same yarns!

That bag turned out very well. Don't worry about the color leaching out. I think that this adds individuality and character to a crochet project. :D

I should explain further--what I meant in showing the swatch is that I boiled the swatch as an experiment, and thank goodness, because look what happened! I ended up washing the bag in the washing machine as in the usual felting instructions; the bag's colors are still true to the yarn. While the color-leaching may not have ruined the bag totally if it'd happened in the washer, I think the bag's colors are MUCH prettier than the swatch's...

Archived