How do you limit yourself?

CLLinda

After reading the hoarding thread, I got to thinking. Do people try to limit what they buy? I know I do. MOstly because of budget and a DH that is complaining about how much stuff I have.

I read the sale flyers every Sunday, and if they don't have something I absolutely NEED, I then try to stay out of the store. Hobby Lobby is in town, so I have to force myself not to go there. When we had a Michael's and a JoAnn's in town, it was very hard not to go for JUST ONE THING!

Because, everyone knows you just can't go and buy one thing!:lol

So how do you limit yourself? Or do you? Let us know!

:manyheart

I'm not even allowed in the craft aisles of ANY store. Any time I start "drifting" in that direction my man pulls me back and reminds of all the things I already have...and how I complain I don't have enough room!

I have to constantly remind myself of my budget! And I do my best not to buy yarn just because "it's so pretty', which works..most of the time. ;) But usually I have to hide my debit card. :lol

I try to go on eBay and just put the yummy yarns that I want in my "items that I am watching" page. That way I can shop all I want but not buy anything (unless it's an absolute great deal!)

I also try to go to my "yarn closet" (used to be a coat closet) and just look at what I already have and just be content with that.

Kinda hard though now that Hobby Lobby has yummy eyelash yarns for 99 cents! Only this week!!

Now I gotta go back to Mardel's and return some stuff. Sheesh.

I'm not supposed to be buying any yarn right now except what woudl be needed to finish a project started with stuff I already own! Eek. I have gone awry a couple of times when something I've had my eye on was on sale (future savings!). I have so many WIM that I need to turn into WIP. Yes, it takes a ton of willpower. I've found that buying junk for another hobby helped. Oops. LOL

There are sooo many yarns that I haven't tried yet so it's hard not to buy more, but I already have sooo many projects that I need to finish. When I think about that and how poor I am then I can (usually) control myself.

I won't add to my stash unless the sale is excellent or I'm on vacation and visiting a new store. If I have a specific project in mind and nothing to make it with, I look for the best prices or use coupons. Like most of us, I really do have too much.

• 1 month later...

I had "eBay addiction" for over a year and a half - hunting eBay for patterns and yarn. I then realized I was spending more time online hunting than crocheting - and also that there was rarely anything offered/available that I was interested in that I didn't already have - AND, finally, I bought a few items I really didn't want at prices I really didn't want to pay.

I have so many patterns and books that making one pattern from each would take more than a lifetime. And so much yarn I've filled a closet, a wide 3-drawer lateral file cabinet, a tall office supply storage cabinet, and many 3-drawer plastic storage units.

I went too far with PAS and YAS. Then I did the same thing with FABRIC!

I now buy the occasional new crochet pattern book. And, when Annie's Attic has their end-of-the-year sale, I buy things at a greatly reduced price - and feel OK about it.

Whew. Confession is good for the soul - right?

I have to limint my spending due to budget and hubby. He says I have to much yarn??:lol

I do try to do that. My problem right now is books and patterns and such.

I knit crochet , quilt and sew a lot of different needlework.

It is so hard for me to past up a book I like or want.:(

So, Yep I have to limint myself.:yes

i have to remind myself of my budget and say what do I want more, yarn or a new house! but sometimes the yarn does win, especially if i can get it for a 1/4 or a 1/3 of the normal cost.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Hobby Lobby yarn at least I've discovered that it will go on sale again and again. Their Yarn Bee stuff goes every month, as does a lot of other yarn there. I'm stocked, but I feel better using up some of my precious stash, knowing that I can get more afterwards. :)

i try to stop and think about how much yarn that i have that i've not done anything with. i've done pretty good so far until i saw the snowflake afghan in december. it was so pretty. i did go out and get the stuff to make it. i'm still working on it and it's going to be great but i haven't bought anything else since.

my dh doesn't say anything about my purchases. he's pretty good that way.

In fact, I have a confession to make and it involves Crochetluvknot. I was trying to use up my whole stash (are you all taking note of the word "was"?) Well, I've bought a little yarn (read "a whole lot of yarn") from Crochetluvknot. If I was in the stashbusting CAL and keeping points I would have about a minus 220. You read it right folks. I think I've officially given up my quest to use up my yarn stash. It was fun while it lasted. But I can't wait to bury my face in my new yarn!!!

Well...hmmm...how I'm limiting myself right at the moment is based on a few factors, 1) my personal checking account is almost bare, so no ordering or buying anything unless it's absolutely necessary to whatever project I'm working on...and absolutely no using the credit card at the moment, 'cause DH is trying to get caught up from our trip to the states in November, plus the holidays 2) Absolutely no starting any new projects, mainly because I'm working on a non crochet project that is #1 priority at the moment. It's okay to finish up WIP and UFO's and those projects I should have everything for them already. 3) I'm motivated to seriously slashing my stash a bit...

Because of the non crochet project taking up my time, it's been a little easier staying disciplined about this current course of action...it's temporary.

That and when I was in my 20's I went through the whole thing of serious hoarding of fabrics and notions and yarn, only to have several years go by and not much of any of it getting used. The fabric was an exception, sort of, but after my divorce, the desire to do much creating of anything all but dried up. Eventually I had to declutter large portions of all my stash and start over. I seriously don't want to have to go through that again...there's only so much room.

It's not easy to say no to something luscious, but if I can't immediately think of a project for whatever, I do my best not to give into the darkside of hoarding. As it is, while my stash pales in comparison to others, there are times that I still feel like walls are closing in.

Still, inspite of crocheting like a mad woman and using up skeins and skeins of yarn, it still feels like I've got a long, long way to go.

I have made a resolution this year, that I have so far, stuck to. No new yarn, I was weak once but my bf stepped in, thank goodness. I can buy nomore yarn til I use at least 1/2 of what I have, that would take a lifetime in itself!!

Right now, we're on a TIGHT budget, so I don't feel as though I can rightly buy new yarn when I got plenty lying around, although I must admidt to buying a skein or two, every once in a while.

• 1 month later...

the only thing i've really done to attempt a limit was to go through my stash and sell the stuff i didn't think i'd ever get to use.... and then i bought more. :) i have a really hard time with "limiting" lol. i had a serious shopping addiction before i discovered my love for yarn and then when i started crocheting, it was like putting chocolate and peanut butter together. i haven't bought new shoes or clothes or in like a year but i have 2 shelves full of yarn! although the overspending really does need to stop, which is why i'm trying to turn my habit into a business so it has more benefits besides being surrounded by pretty things that i've made lol.

I usually don't buy yarn unless I have a project in mind that I could do to make the yarn. I don't have a lot of space to hold my yarn...so I usually manage to keep my stash pretty low.

I typically stock up in the winter months as we are gone most weekends through the warmer months. This keeps me out of the yarn stores since there aren't any out in the woods.:lol I am always on the lookout for good internet sales. I just recently stocked up from Smiley's again. So now there are 25 of the big sterlite tubs in my attic. That should last me for awhile.:manyheart

Archived