Thread Santa

BarbaraJean

I have one of those!! Now, to make all of you really mad, a few years ago I saw these at K-Mart, of all places. They were made in China, so don't be concerned about the crafter who made them asking too little for her work. I bought two snowmen. They are made of rayon thread and have lots of pearls on them. I got them on the after Christmas sale and, if I recall correctly, I paid $1 or $2 each. So keep your eyes open at K-Mart! They are exquisite!

So my little treasure isn't handmade? :(

So my little treasure isn't handmade? :(

If it is crocheted, it is definantely handmade, I think that in places like China, they have workshops of people (women mainly) mass producing the crocheted items, then they sell them a very inexpensive prices. This is what these people do and nothing else pretty much, if I remember correctly...

There is no such thing as a "crochet machine" like there are knitting machines or weaving machines....

Your Santa is absolutely adorable, btw :D

I've always wondered about that.

Starr is absolutely right. As unfortunate as it is, all that crochet stuff we see in stores that is dirt cheap, is actually handmade. The workers in China, Thailand, etc. who make them get paid by the day, and it's not very much. That's why it's cheaper for us to buy this stuff than to make it ourselves. I just wish I could get patterns for some of the things they make. Like this santa and my matching snowman!

The fact that there is no crocheting machine is always my defense against knitters who think i'm wasting my time with a "low" fibre art. You can get a machine to knit, but not crochet. But I only get that mean when cornered. Really! :devil

Barbarajean your Santa is very special and handmade not homemade. But who cares, the crocheter who made it is just as proud of their work as we are of ours.

Darlene

And he's still just as adorable. Thanks for the information, ladies.:santa

Archived