Dora update Completed 3-22-05 Page 7 (Graph Afghan)

Tampa Doll

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am blown away!!! I am still just thinking about what to do for my next project...and you have done so much already. Your work is fabulous!! Your granddaughters, and all who can see your work in person are very blessed.:not

Do you cut your yarn every time you change colors when you do something like that? If not, how do you do it? Is there a tutorial somewhere? Cause I would really love to make my brother a Tampa Bay Bucs afghan like that, with their helmet and logo and name all on it in Bucs colors.

Barbara,

I use bobbins when I am working with more than one color yarn. The main color is the only one that is not on a bobbin.

If you look at the finished princess project, you will see how it looks.

Alls you have to remember is that when you are working on the wrong side of the afghan, the bobbins are in front and when you are working on the right side, the bobbins are behind.

Good luck in finding a pattern with the Buc's new logo. Unless you can find a cross or counted corss stitch in it.

In a nut shell, when you add the new color you do it as changing colors with the string hanging down.

Now you do not cut it when you are done. You crochet around it till you are at least on stitch past where you will use it in the next row. When you pick it up, you start a single crochet in the stitch prior to needing and crochet it like you would a color change, but there is no string hanging down.

I am getting together some pictures, so that you can see how it is done. I hope to have them today or tomorrow.

:sun:sun:sun

I am waiting to see the pictures to. I made a cross afghan and didn't want to keep cutting so I just left the yarn there to pick up.

My question is "Do you outline every thing in the black?"

I am going to try one. I have a stack of cross stitch books and thought I could try something little to start.

Have you ever done Barbie? I love her

Adding a new color to your work is like changing colors. On stitch prior to color change, do a sc till 2 loops are on the hook. Put new color on the hook, and pull through the 2 loops, new color is added.

adding colors

AddingColors.gif

Some people don’t, but I continue to crochet around the main color, till it is needed again. Once you are ready to pick up the main color again, it is right there. Before you totally drop the next color, check on the next row and see how much further it is needed. You may need it one to ??? Stitches . This way, you can carry the color behind your work one to two stitches before you need it on the next row.

When you pick up on the next row, you will crochet around the new color and then work like you are adding a color. This makes for less strings hanging down to be weaved in later. This is especially good if you have only one stitch to add.

As to crocheting around the main color until needed again, some will tell you it is better to only carry it for 3 to 6 stitches. Let me warn you, that if you use bobbins for the main color, you will forever be making bobbins, as they do not hold much yarn. Another idea is to use 2 skeins of yarn. One for each side of the afghan.

changing colors

ChangingColors.gif

Some info web sites

http://hostultra.com/~huggems/grafgfaq.html

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa072697.htm

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa041203b.htm

Sondra,

I only outlined what needed to be outlined. I did the faces and hands. I really dislike outlining. :U It is sewing and I am not very patient when it comes to sewing. :<>

It is really up to the individual whether to outline or not. I had to show the chins, noses and hands with fingers.

:sun

Archived