Olivia's Blanket

theworm

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you, Kim! I really appreciate your help!!! :)

No problem. You know I'm always here. Let me know how much more space you need to fill once you get the rounds of single crochet in there. But, I have every confidence in the world that it's going to work out just fine. I, myself, find that I tense up a bit when working the graph work. So, you'll be fine. :cheer

I'm going to work on it tonight!

I have a lot to fill in, but I think that I can make it work.

I was so concerned because I kept losing count on the border. I tried so hard, but I think I messed up a lot on the turning stitch/first stitch thing and then I couldn't find my errors. I didn't want to frog the whole thing so I kept correcting. In the end the hearts are not perfectly lined up, but I don't know how noticeable it will be. The baby is only a month old and she won't mind, and I'm sure my niece will love it - mistakes and all.

I'll let you know how I do! :)

I'm working on it! I have a LOT of scs to do to fill in, but I'll get there (may need another skein! )

Kim - can you explain the last row of the edge?

Ch 1. Sk 1 sc, Rev Hdc in next sc.

I'm not understanding. I'm just doing Rev HDC in every other stitch around the outside (working left to right)?

:D

I'm still whip stitching, but I think it's going to work!!!

th_IMG_3230.jpg

th_IMG_3229.jpg

finish the whip stitch and the border and I might actually have a baby blanket. Lots of mistakes though - I'm really hoping they won't show in the end.

I got the center sewn in last night and it's not awful!

I see my mistakes, but it'll be ok. One corner is a bit smushed. I'll try to get the border done tonight and I'll post photos. I wish it were perfect, but I'm pleased with it. I think my niece will love it!

Thanks!!

It's done!!! The bottom curls a little bit, but overall I'm very proud of it!

Kim - thank you sooooo much for sharing the pattern and for all your help! This is a GREAT pattern!!! And I LOVE the edging. I love to do rev sc to end off hats, but I've never done rev hdc and it looks great!!!

th_heartdetail.jpg

th_detail.jpg

th_finishedblanket.jpg

Can't blog this one till after Christmas, but I wanted to post a picture. :)

That is totally awesome! What a great gift idea!

It's so personalized! I just love the idea of the child's name on their blanket in the pattern. What a great idea!

:manyheart

So is each row sc'd I want to make one for my little one but I wish I could see her name(Lucy) all together instead of one letter at a time. On Kim's site I had to click each letter individually. Ooppss my mistake I see where if you want a name you can buy it from her and she will put it together in a graph for ya, sorry.

I'm too lazy to work out the graphing. I can do it, but it takes a long time for me. If you go to Kim's site, you'll see a link in the pattern. For $2 she'll do the graph of the name and the heart for you. She also has another heart and a rose. For me it was easier to buy the graph. :)

Cool is there another way to join the graph to the blanket part or is it just like yours? I wanted to make one for a boy too but I didn't think the hearts around the graph will be man enough for a boy? I love yours and I always loved the name Olivia anyways. When I was younger that's what I would tell everyone my name was lol.

Oh and yes - if you look at her pattern - the name part is all sc. The heart border is mostly double.

It's really a clever pattern!!!

Thank you. So glad you like the design and you're making another. Woo hoo! This is one of THE most popular designs on my site. In the beginning, way back in 1998 when I first designed it, I had thought about selling the design to a publisher. Fortunately, I decided to put it on my site instead. It's had a lot more exposure this way anyway. :clap

It took a LOT of thinking outside the box in order to come up with that design. I wanted to put the hearts around the outside which I had designed previously. But, I wanted to put personalization in the center and the best way for that was single crochet. Yes, I could have done double crochet, changing colors, but I really wanted more definition. And, this took a lot of work, but I eventually came up with this idea in the middle of the night. I was surprised that it worked! :eek

I don't really think that hearts are unmanly, especially for a baby. Here is Christian's blanket. Yes, I HAD to make one of my signature baby afghans for Christian, of course. :yes

christianblanket.jpg

Edit: Wormie, please let me know when I can put the photo of the Olivia blanket on my blog. I know that you don't want your niece to see it and I'm pretty sure that there are links to my blog on yours. So, since she reads your blog, I'd hate for her to click through to mine.

Oh okay well the boy blanket I was making is for a 3 yr old and trust me he hates hearts b/c he has 5 sisters so there is girl stuff everywhere lol. I do love your blanket you made for Christian though.

Well, the second one is under way.

This time I'm using Bernat Softee Baby in Lemon and bright pink. I like the bright colors, but for some reason the pink is much thinner than the yellow, and it made the letters look less clean than in the Olivia version. Tomorrow night I start on the heart border. :)

th_IMG_3247.jpg

Archived