Anyone bought/seen Doris Chan's Amazing Crochet Lace?

EmEyeAaay

:drool I just bought it today as a birthday present for myself, it is fantastic! I've never bought a book that I want to do every single pattern until now, I can't wait. :dance

Everything is so beautiful and I love her writing style, her intro is great, and she makes something that looks incredibly complicated sound doable. I'm in awe.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear good feedback -- I recently ordered it (but haven't received yet), to finish my membership obligations on Crafter's Choice bookclub because it looked so great, and I never order anything without seeing it first, lol!

Oh! the farpoint topper is one of my favorites, I want to make it but I don't know anyone who would wear it! I can't decide on what to start first- the curacao shawl or the chrysanthemum tea shawl, they're both so beautiful, and I love the colors she used for both of them.

That's another thing I loved about the book, how the photography is black and white and only her creations are in color. That element really makes the beauty of her work stand out! :U

I just recieved the book too! And I adore Doris. How fantastic was that intro!

And goodness her photos and stitch diagrams are fabulous.

I think my favorite is actally the cover shot. I'm a sucker for huge doilies.

I just saw it at Barnes and Noble today. I was really excited and couldn't wait to open it...and then when I did it wasn't what I expected. The designs really are beautiful, I guess I was just hoping there would be a bigger variety of projects inside. I didn't like the toppers inside--what I should really say is that I like them but would never wear them, so I wouldn't make them. I was hoping for more wearables that weren't shawls. So I was a little disappointed:( but I still thought it was a nice book.

I had it on pre-order from Amazon and received it on the 22nd of last month. I am drooling over the patterns as well, and have not decided which one I want to make first.

How about a Doris Chan CAL?? Anyone??

*GASP* My book came yesterday and ***! I love everything in it!:yay I really enjoyed reading Trimming Me and the introduction section | my modus operandi. Very well written/descriptive. I did find a bit of an error right off on page 19...the same symbols are shown for front post and back post dc. I haven't checked the charts/written instructions to see if this error is carried over in them or not.

Oh yeah! It's not like I don't already have and over abundance of WIP but uhmmm...I had about 45 minutes before I had to hit the hay so I dug through my yarn stash and found I had enough DK yarn to start on the Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl.:hook I made it halfway through row 9 on the chart...can't wait to wake up a bit more so I can work on it some more.

Mine just got here today! I am really, really pleased. This is a list of what's in it, in case anyone's curious. (bolded is the stuff I am dying to make :lol )

Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl (round shawl, the one on the cover)

vest

capelet (poncho)

mobius wrap

Risa Robe

mini-dress

capelet

Walking after Midnight (skirt)

poncho/skirt set

Farpoint Topper, interesting spiral-patterned pentagram sleeved poncho

shrug

jacket

ruana (like a big rectangle wrap with a slit in the middle for neck)

jacket

vest

tank/vest

stole

Blue Curacao Shawl! (looks rather like a pineapple seraphina):drool

Only about 2 things I truly just don't like and wouldn't want to ever make!

I have ordered mine and I'm glad to see so much positive feedback on it. :hook I just love the shawl on the front cover.

If anyone wants to do a CAL with one of the patterns, I am SO in!!! :hook

Okay, so I am fairly new here and did read the about CAL's post in that section but seriously, how do we go about getting one started? And if so, would it be anything in the book, or a specific pattern? Ladies (and gents), let's get one going! I'm excited (though now I've really got to budget my time to get the Christmas gifts finished :hook).

I think all we really need is someone to start the post in the CAL section who is a good go-to person to answer questions about problems with the pattern, etc. :) Or since this is new and noone has actually MADE one of these yet, we can just get one started, and everyone can contribute to questions as we work along? Oh, and of course, a choice on what pattern to work on! I would vote for the one on the cover.

This book is unbelievable I am in love with it and just got it!! :jumpyay The day i got it I started the Sambuca Sweater it is REALLY easy and fast I started last night and in 2 hours got more than half the sweater done! Just have 3 more rounds and sleeves to add. Next is definitely the Chrysanthemum Shawl and the Curcaco(however you spell it) shawl then I absolutely adore the Pumpkin little shortie jacket thingie actually I think I love everything. I have always LOVED Doris Chan's patterns I hate seaming :thumbdown !Everything I have made with one of her patterns has actually fit me great! :jumpyay

Hey Crochetville Community,

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY. The response to Amazing Crochet Lace has been so overwhelmingly positive. I want to thank everyone who purchased a copy and especially every intrepid crocheter who is making the designs already!

To those who feel there is not enough variety included, or who wish for more wearable garments, wait until book two, ETA Fall '07. It will feature everyday crochet garments, with fitting tips and sizing to at least 3XL. Enjoy and thanks to all.

Yours, Doris

Archived