How do you read a new pattern?

How do you read a new pattern  

147 members have voted

1. 1. How do you read a new pattern

• I read all the way through carefully
    • I skim all the way through
    • I jread a row as I do it
    • I just look at the pattern and know how to do it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never had the patience to read through a pattern first. I look at the picture, and if I like it, I just sit down and start making it, reading as I go along. There are times when the pattern may be confusing to me, but I usually find referring to the picture helps me figure things out.

when i'm searching for a new pattern in books i already have or on the internet, then i'll read the pattern all the way through b/c i won't have any yarn near me.

if at the craft store and i find a free pattern, i'll read it to make sure i can do it before i get the yarn for it.

but most of the time, i'll flip through a book or mag and see a pic, grab some yarn out of my stash and just start working

For the most part any pattern I work with, crocheting, knitting, sewing or craft, I skim through at least once to get the concept down...depending on what the item is though, many times I can just look at a picture and have a pretty good idea how to go about making the item in question...and then use the pattern kind of like a double check to make sure I'm on the right track...saves headaches that way.

Wow! You all must be loaded with talent. (smiling) I have to read the pattern line by line. Especially, if I want it to look like the picture. I always read it. I might make a few changes to suit me or do something different to (in my opinion) improve, but I generally always read it line by line first.

If I like the picture, I will then skim the directions, Then my stash if I have the yarn. Every sale I will just about buy yarn. It is really funny that my guest room doesn't have storage space left for guests. It is all yarn storage.

Tracey

I skim through to see if I really want to make it or to see if there is anything I need to figure out (new stitches, openings, finishing)before i'm deep in the project. I also look to see if there is anything I would change or do differently before I start so I can plan ahead.

I will normally do a light skim of the pattern and I do mean light. Then forge on. Normally I can tell what needs to be done and know I can adjust as I go if necassary. Though I rarely use a pattern anymore. I do if it's something that's really caught my eye.

I always read a pattern first in case there's something I don't understand. If the pattern gives you a gauge swatch by working several rows of the pattern, then I just pick up some yarn and try it.

I only read ahead for two reasons...one, if the directions actually tell me to do it...and two, if the directions don't seem to make sense in the row I'm working on to see if the problem resolves later in the pattern....

Jessie

I'm usually too excited to get started to actually read through a pattern. I skim it because, well, my mom always told me to read them through and that's the best that I can do. :wink

:bounce

I couldn't have said it any better myself :U

I just do it. If I read through and feel there is something I can't do it would put me off trying. I am more likely to over come any probs if I am already commited to a project

Archived