How Do I Wash Unused Yarn?

look up and see if freezing will work. i've been told to freeze allmy daughters unwashable stuffed toys to kill the dust mites :)

Stuff the skeins (without labels) into an old pair of pantyhose, tying a knot between each (like sausages). Wash and dry according to label directions.

Oooh... good idea. Do you think that would soften up yarns like Redheart Super Saver before you actually crochet them? I find them really scratchy to work with.

Joan

The panty hose is a great idea. After you get them clean, store them in plastic bins with tight lids (Wal-Mart has them). If you put in cedar wood blocks it helps keep bugs away (not smelly like moth balls). Hope this helps.

Ellie 13

I'm so doing the pantyhose thing with a skein of RH Watercolrs I have. It's so pretty, and all I'm making out of it is a hook case, but it's so darn scratchy, I can't stand working with it.

There is no way I'm going to use anything more expensive for a hook case, so I'll try washing it and see what happens!

Oh, and in case you didn't get my message, Ellie13 - you rock!

I'm so doing the pantyhose thing with a skein of RH Watercolrs I have. It's so pretty, and all I'm making out of it is a hook case, but it's so darn scratchy, I can't stand working with it.

Please let us know how it turns out after washing. I loved the look of the watercolor yarn, but not only was it scratchy to work with, but the one square I made with it turned out stiff as a board.

Joan

Archived