Comfortghan for Kidney Transplant Patient and His Donor - Update

harmonise

UPDATE

***If you can send a sqaure or two, please let me know ASAP***

Both are doing exceptionally well!! Darryl left the hospital only 3 days later and Steve left in about 5 days. Steve is able to have tests done locally so he doesn't have to travel from west-central IL to Madison, WI. And Darryl who seemed to be on the verge of divorce is going back home!! Praise God for all he does.

I never imagined I would ask for this kind of help from my crochet soul-mates. My best friend's brother is having kidney transplant surgery tomorrow morning (Nov 30). I would first like to ask for prayer for him (Steve) and his donor (Darryl) and second for squares. My friend Ellen describes his journey best...

"In the Johnson family, we have a lot to be thankful for this year. My older brother Steve has been suffering with total kidney failure for almost 2 years. It's been a harrowing journey for him and the family. With all of the siblings getting rejected as a donor for various reasons, he finally has a donor that is a match, passed all the tests, and the surgery date is set for 11/30 in Madison, WI. There's been such an amazing outpouring of love, support, and prayers for Steve from our hometown and friends of the family that it has blown us all away and especially Steve. It's just been overwhelming. But when God closes one door, He will open another and it has been awesome to see it happening. But the best part is that Steve is now going to bible study and starting to have a personal relationship with God. This is after 40+ years of not stepping foot in a church except for weddings and funerals and not having any relationship with God at all. WOW....God is good!"

My request: I would like to make two 'ghans that inspire faith, hope and love because all are present in this situation (i'm starting to get teary-eyed). Six inch squares are preferred in whatever color or fiber (although acryllic or blend preferred for ease in care) you feel led to use. My crochet time is so limited. I am thankful for everyone who can help because it would take me a year to get these done by myself. Blessings to all of you :manyheart

I would love to help. My brother in-law is been on dialysis for awhile now. May I make a suggestion though. Ask for 12 inch squares instead of 6 inch ones. It will take few to make and less likely to feel over whelmed when you have to sew those squares together. Expecially making 2 afghans. Only my suggestion though. You do what you feel is best for you. PM me your address so I may mail them out to you.

Prayers will be said for both families. Thanks!

Nance I have another question. Do you know if either of the guys are football fans? If they were and we knew there favorite team I would certainly try to make my squares in there colors. Just something to through out there.

I want to, but I'm so swamped. I'm going to try to get at least one for you, and if I can I'll PM you for the address. I'm so glad that you found a donor and am sending out wishes for a quick and easy recovery for both of them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is particularly touching for me, as my Aunt just got a Kidney Transplant...I should make something for her.

Archived