What can I do?

shortylam

I got this pattern for felting and it was just gorgeous! So I got all excited and pulled out some Knitpicks Wool of the Andes Bulky and made the thing with the dimensions stated by the pattern (pattern uses different yarn). It came out nice and all, which made me so happy :c9

But here's the problem: before today, I've never felted anything in my life. On top of that, I don't own a washer. So as a good c'villager, I pulled out most of the felting threads and read on how to felt.

First of all, being a cheapskate that I am, I boiled some hot water to cook a swatch. After about 1/2 hr in hot water, the 3.5X3.75 swatch strunk to ~3 inches each side. So I proceeded with my thing but this time instead of boiling it, I just boiled hot water and add the thing to hot soapy and baking soda water. Then I beated it up and down with my hands, alternating hot and cold water for about 5 times.

Then I got tired and decided to go to the laundry room. I put the thing in the washer (hot/cold cycle) with a pair of fuzzy slippers (for agitation), then add detergent and baking soda. Then I went to Walmart for grocery shopping. When I came back, here's how it become: the sides strunk from 10X17.5 to 9X14 which is a far cry from 7X12 indicated by the pattern. I still can see some stiches in some parts but it is significantly thicker.

So now my question is: what can I do? Is it good enough or should I spend 1 more dollar to wash it again? Now it's just sitting in the living room smelling like a wet dog :yes

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to everybody's replies :hug

I would wash it again. I had to wash my bag almost 3 times to get it the size and stitch definition I wanted. And I know I could wash it another time or two to shrink it even more. I just didn't want to be able to see any stitches, so I washed it until they were all gone.

Archived