Comfortghan for 12 yr old girl whose gramma passed

funkyreporter

Wow, that's gonna be gorgeous! Here's my suggestion: I agree with your statement that if any two look alike (color or pattern) I'd separate them. And I think I would put the one with her name & date smack in the middle. But - I agree with Fidgement - lay them out and let them sit for a while - walk in & out of the room a few times, making changes wherever you see fit. I think a mix would be best - no pattern to it, just a wonderful mix. Did that make sense?

:manyheart

Shelle, as ****htening as it is, you ALWAYS make sense to me!

I would love to write more but I've got to get ready for stupid sucky work because court doesn't close for the holidays:no . And I am NOT happy about this. I need more coffee. I'll be more civil to ya'all later...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paulette,

I think y'all need to form a labor organization! Court not closing :eek for the holidays is truely barbaric!:yes

Yeah, is that completely unreasonable or what? I get the DAY of Christmas and the DAY of New Year off. I could try for vacation but don't have enough seniority to get these highly saught after days... maybe by the time I have GRANDKIDS I'll be able to take the time off.

And you'd think the criminals would take a little time off, too, but NOOOO! I've been working Compton Court for two days... don't know how many of you are familiar with the infamous "Compton" but it's sorta the 'birthplace' of west coast gangsta rap and basically what a pit! Today wasn't so bad but among yesterday's cases was a drive-by shooting (attempted murder with gang enhancements) and then we sent a guy to prison for eight years for forcible rape which I thought was WAY low! I was thinking more like 80 years, but whatever. After the first of the year my 'regular' judge will be back and we can get back to our usual silliness!

My only thought is that the purple and white angel one should go in the center

I think someone else had mentioned putting the pretty white one in the center - they look like angels! I just can't figure out what the center is of six by eight:think ! I also have one that says "Maggie 2006" and would like to put that in a prominent place... maybe they could be beside each other in almost the center:lol .

I had to pick all the squares up so everybody wouldn't be stepping on them :eek but I think I'm gonna go with the the random placement and try not to have any two that are too similar near each other...:yes

Here you go! I just laid them out and haven't fooled with them too much for placement. Turns out I only had one extra so I took out one that I had made, and then I have one "on the hook" so I'll just make that into something else purple and furry.....

Are you ready? Try and fine your squares - I took a lot of shots but I thought these showed all the squares pretty well... the color isn't "true" - this thing is PURPLE!!!!!!:cheer

hairghan019.jpg

hairghan012.jpg

hairghan010.jpg

Suppers ready so gotta go! Can't wait to see what you think - and please give your suggestions as to placement!

You could use the two extra squares to make her a small tote bag. That way she'll be carrying everyones love with her all the time. That's what I'd do with the extras. Or a small pillow she could put on her bed to match the afghan. I think I like that better.

Pat A.

And Phoenix was pheeling phunky and sent me a HAT that she made and it's adorable! I went in to show Todd and Tara (both teens now:yay ) and they said, and I quote, "Don't ever wear that hat in public." which confirmed that it's a GREAT HAT! Thank Phoenix! I didn't know I was hat person but I'm going to start making myself some hats. Turns out I'm having a bad hair life (not a bad hair day, a bad hair LIFE) so hats it is!

Heeheehee! Oh, I just got back online today and saw this- made my day! Glad you like it...if that response isn't a reason to wear something, what is? *snicker* I never claimed it was a sophisticated piece of work- 'cause neither am I! Life's too short to take hats seriously :) Or hair, for that matter.

Here's a suggested layout :http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/mslilypond/blanket.jpg

the 2 yellow blocks is where I would place the angel one and the Maggie block.

That way they are both near center

I think someone else had mentioned putting the pretty white one in the center - they look like angels! I just can't figure out what the center is of six by eight:think ! I also have one that says "Maggie 2006" and would like to put that in a prominent place... maybe they could be beside each other in almost the center:lol .

Maybe you can put those two diagonally from each other in the "center". Like this for example (each "*" represents a square, "A" for the angel square, "M" for the Maggie square):

* * A * * *

* * * M * *

No matter what you end up doing, I'm sure it will be gorgeous. They look so pretty in your photos. :cheer

Here's a suggested layout :http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/mslilypond/blanket.jpg

the 2 yellow blocks is where I would place the angel one and the Maggie block.

That way they are both near center

I didn't even see your post before I posted mine. Great minds think alike. :D

Well, that's settled then! The Angel square and Maggie square will go in the "center" and the rest will be random with an effort to keep color, texture, etc. separated for 'interest'. And I love the idea of using the two extras to make a little purse or pillow! You guys are SO smart!

Has everybody been able to find their squares? It's fun to see "your work" as part of something big, huh:manyheart

Ah yes, I found my blocks!:clap This has been a wonderful experience and seeing everyones squares together is the icing on the cake.:yes:manyheart

Isn't it GREAT!!!! It is just so fun to look at! One of the Villagers has a purple granny quilt as their avitar... wish I could remember who. I wonder what the story is behind that one... I'll have to watch for it!

I plan to do the "great assembly" this weekend - do you think it can be done in a weekend? I think so! Then I'll do a border of some sort - black assembly and black border since all the squares are bordered in black... it's just like I pictured it only a THOUSAND TIMES MORE BEAUTIFUL! Thank you, Villagers:hug :manyheart:yay:cheer:clap:c9

Oh, what a lovely surprise today! THREE more beautiful squares to add into hte 'ghan! Two light purple and a dark purple from Tammy H in Pennsylvania.... Hmmm:think ... I'll look through the prior posts and see if I can find someone that fits that description so I can thank her personally!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished getting all the squares put together... came out really nice! I will be putting a border around it - I have a book of "beautiful edgings" so I'm going to find something that looks nice and not too complicated... this has taken me longer than expected - the getting them sewn together part - I guess because of the busy-ness of the holidays and also having my older daughter home from college and wanting to spend 'family time'.

I'll post a pic later, hopefully once I get the edging done, and then ya'all can pick out your squares that were so generously donated! And I promise when I present it to Maggie I will take many pictures and post those as well!

Again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your kindness and generosity!:hug

Tomorrow is Maggie's b-day so I'll give it to her tomorrow night. Her family is taking her to Disneyland and Tara is going along. I know for some people Disneyland is a vacation destination but living 45 minutes away the kids have been there quite a bit, but they still enjoy it!

So here's the blankie. I didn't get too fancy with the edge because, a) my fancy edge book was for thread edges - very complex, and b) I wanted to get this done! I hope everyone can find their squares - they all made it in! The ones I took out were duplicate ones I had made that weren't nearly so creative as what ya'all came up with.

Ta-dah!:cheer

afgan07002.jpg

afgan07001.jpg

Oh I love it...she's going to have puppies when she sees it! :D Everyone did a wonderful job with the squares...nice job on putting them together, too!

Oh, thank you all so much! I was hoping I could do justice to the beautifully and lovingly made squares that were sent for this project! My daughter Tara was wrapping up in it and saying "make me one:( " ... so funny! She's really excited to be able to give it to Maggie (and of course I am too!) I have a blankie in the works for her - hideous shades of bright green that I got on sale at Michael's this weekend:eek ! She's gonna LOVE it!

I noticed that I have it upside down in the picture - the square that says Maggie 2006 is upside down, but I did put the angel square and the Maggie square 'staggered' in the center as suggested. It was really fun to put together - all the different yarns and textures and designs!

Truly a collective work of Crochetville love! And I promise to take lots of pictures when we give it to Maggie! :manyheart

Just beautiful. All that contributed made beautiful squares and Paulette you did a great job putting them all together. I am sure Maggie will cherish it always.

Excellent job putting that together Paulette. She is going to be tickled pink and purple, and purple, etc... She will cherish this forever! I can't wait to see pic's when Tara gives it to her!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Archived