Comfortghan for 12 yr old girl whose gramma passed

funkyreporter

MAIL CALL! Three more lovely squares form Sakurasaku! Thank you SO much for the beautiful squares! I never knew how many lovely shades of purple there were and I must say this is going to be a beautiful comfortghan! I've started laying the squares besides each other to get an idea how it's going to look and it is definitley 'more than the sum of its parts'... Simply amazing, the talent and generosity of Crochetville members!

I'm at 40 right now:cheer and having gotten bored with the 'regular' pattern I was making I started trying 'fancy' patterns which are more time consuming but keeping me "at the hook":lol . Last night, and into today, it is a popcorn stitch thing... very interesting...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! 40! That's a lot of love out there! I think it would be fun to take turns getting a comfortghan. People (whoever wants to) send you a square or two, then you have to sew them together, and then you'd have a love blanket from your crochet friends all over the world. Can I go first? Huh? Huh? Can I? I want PINK!!! Then when mine's made, someone else would say what color they want, and we'd all send her some squares.... and so on.... might take a while, but eventually a lot of us would have comfortghans made with the loving hands of our friends here on the ville! What do ya'll think? Is it a dumb idea? Should it just be reserved for the people who especially need comforting? Like loss of a loved one, illness, etc....

my squares haven't gotten to you yet? :eek

hopefully you'll get then on monday... I hope they didn't get lost in the mail...

OH, dear, I hope they aren't lost... I'm sure they're on the way and perhaps slowed up by all that pesky Christmas stuff:lol being mailed. Ankey, I hope I didn't mistake your squares for somebody else's - I've PM'd everyone as their squares arrived and a couple I had to do some detective work because I didn't know "real" names, only Crochetville names, but I narrowed them down by the city and state they'd come from. I'll keep watching for yours:manyheart

I sent poor DH to the post office the other day to mail out some work-related things and also slid in a couple Crochetville mailings (hey, why not:think ) and he said it was packed! And boy was the holiday spirit in full swing - people honking in the parking lot, cussing in line... yep, the holiday spirit was alive and well in Los Angeles post offices!:lol Hubby is pretty calm tempered so he just amused himself watching the idiocy of the people that just don't get it: the only thing that moves as one gets more and more frustrated waiting in a line is the blood pressure raising!

Paulette,

Thats an amazing number of squares! Wow! Anyway, no pressure here(lol), but you can be rest assured that we're all on the edge of our seats waiting to see pictures! Even just the four I made showed differences in the shades of purple. The Circle of Friends block took on a blue hue when placed next to the others. This is going to be a wonderful afghan for Maggie. Has she seen all the different squares yet?(Inquiring mind/s want to know)

The Circle of Friends block took on a blue hue when placed next to the others.

I think that's the same pattern I used for two of my squares! Isn't it a lovely pattern? They came out pretty good in TLC Amore, which I initially wasn't sure about because it's a "loopy" yarn. I am definitely keeping the pattern for future comfortghan squares.

I think TLC Amore "plum" will look almost grey next to other brighter purples. I never knew there were so many different shades of purple, and I can't wait for a picture of the finished 'ghan.

In answer to an inquiry, NO, she hasn't seen the squares yet! That makes it so exciting:cheer ! She knows about it, but only saw about four squares I had made and maybe six of the first few that came in! She has NO idea of how many gorgoeus purples there are, textures, patterns!

I am so much looking forward to being able to give this to her... actually I think I'll let Tara present it to her, them being best friends, 'cause she knows it's coming from all of us at Crochetville! Then I'll tell her mom about the 'Ville and I know she'll get all touched and mushy...:manyheart

Sakursaku, the Circle of Friends block is a keeper:yes . I used TLC's heather in the purple shade and its amazing how the shade changed. I'll be using that block again and again, but then, I like all her patterns.

Paulette, it is exciting that she hasn't seen them. I hope you'll tell us all about it and take many pictures when she gets it!:fluffy

Just wanted to let ya know I dropped two black squares in the mail friday- along with a little somethin' hehe. Mine are also the circle of friends square- I like to make squares at work and its such a pretty pattern but easy to keep memorized!

:gotmail If this is a mailbox belching out eight-inch squares then it's the picture I was looking for:mail !! I'll say it was a GOOD mail day today! I have reached magical number 48 (six by eight squares) as I received gorgeous squares today from ankey, Phoenix and Annie from Austin TX whose Village name I didn't figure out... hmmmm...

And Phoenix was pheeling phunky and sent me a HAT that she made and it's adorable! I went in to show Todd and Tara (both teens now:yay ) and they said, and I quote, "Don't ever wear that hat in public." which confirmed that it's a GREAT HAT! Thank Phoenix! I didn't know I was hat person but I'm going to start making myself some hats. Turns out I'm having a bad hair life (not a bad hair day, a bad hair LIFE) so hats it is!

Back to the comfortghan, I have of course been working on squares too (didn't expect you guys to do ALL the work!) so I may be over 48... in which case I will pick some and perhaps make a granny square scarf for her too... whatya think? Maybe some of those Circle of Friendship Squares that are so pretty... Where is that pattern from anyway? It is beautiful!

Okay. Time to lay 'em out on the floor and see what it looks like... :hook maybe I'll use The Dude's square joining method... seems like I saw something on his site about that...

Here you go! I just laid them out and haven't fooled with them too much for placement. Turns out I only had one extra so I took out one that I had made, and then I have one "on the hook" so I'll just make that into something else purple and furry.....

Are you ready? Try and fine your squares - I took a lot of shots but I thought these showed all the squares pretty well... the color isn't "true" - this thing is PURPLE!!!!!!:cheer

hairghan019.jpg

hairghan012.jpg

hairghan010.jpg

Suppers ready so gotta go! Can't wait to see what you think - and please give your suggestions as to placement!

Wow!!! That really is a lot of purple. Maggie is sure to be wrapped in a lot of love and warmth with that. As to placement, being a quilter, I like to lay things out and let them sit awhile. Then something usually hits me! In this case, I need to think about it for a while before I add my thoughts to the mix! That really is a lot of purple and a lot of variation.

Thanks for posting the picture! Enjoy dinner :yes

They all look so GREAT!! Ummmm I'm not sure about placement.. could you maybe do it in diagonal rows of similar shades? Dunno..it's up to you..Maggie is gonna love love love it!!!

That's interesting, Sennight. I hadn't thought of trying for any sort of symetry or pattern:lol ! I sorta let them land where they did and then if I saw two together that were too similar I moved them away from each other.

I had a bad experience with a blanket I crocheted for Ah Leah many many years ago (wonder what happened to that:think ) Anyway, it was one of those that you do in stripes (is that Mile a Minute?) so I did the strips in shades of blue going from light to dark... man - that thing came out Ug-Lee!

The squares are gorgeous! So many different shades of purple and so many patterns! She's going to love that afghan. Good luck with putting it together(I can't think of any suggestion for placement, but Sennight's suggestion sounds good). :hook

:gotmail If this is a mailbox belching out eight-inch squares then it's the picture I was looking for:mail !! I'll say it was a GOOD mail day today! I have reached magical number 48 (six by eight squares) as I received gorgeous squares today from ankey, Phoenix and Annie from Austin TX whose Village name I didn't figure out... hmmmm...

Lol, Paulette... I'm Annie from Austin TX... :lol

Glad you finally got the squares today! And all of the squares look great - so many shades of purple! I don't have any advice on how to place them though...

Lol, Paulette... I'm Annie from Austin TX... :lol

Glad you finally got the squares today! And all of the squares look great - so many shades of purple! I don't have any advice on how to place them though...

OH, Dear... you are Annie from Austin Texas.

:think Hmmmmmm... then who is V. , last name starts with H from Houston Texas? Thank you, V, for the pretty square and the extra black yarn!

Wow, that's gonna be gorgeous! Here's my suggestion: I agree with your statement that if any two look alike (color or pattern) I'd separate them. And I think I would put the one with her name & date smack in the middle. But - I agree with Fidgement - lay them out and let them sit for a while - walk in & out of the room a few times, making changes wherever you see fit. I think a mix would be best - no pattern to it, just a wonderful mix. Did that make sense?

:manyheart

Archived