Comfortghan for 12 yr old girl whose gramma passed

funkyreporter

Hi Villagers.

I've never asked for a comfortghan before but I am now. I'll explain.

My younger daughter is Tara and her closest friend is Maggie - they have been friends since before they were born (her mom and me were pregnant together and they live across the street)

Yesterday (November 26th) Maggie's grandmother died after complications from pneumonia brought on by a weakened immune system from a kidney transplant four years ago. Maggie has never lost anyone close to her and had a close relationship with her grandparents on both sides and has a lovely extended family who are grieving right now.

I told Tara and Maggie to come over to our house and I held Maggie and cried with her while we talked about her gramma and she said she should have visited her more - all the guilt things - and I told her her grandma knew how much she loved her but I knew that was of little consolation. I asked her what might make her feel better (ice cream?) and she said, "One of your afghans to keep me warm." - no one in her family is crafty or sews - they are all really into sports, especially professional hockey. Maggie said she and her grandma used to enjoy watching the California hockey team The Kings play on TV and sometimes going to home games.

So here's the request: The Kings colors are purple and black and I'd like to make Maggie an afghan of eight-inch squares, six squares by eight squares, 48 total. Any yarn would be fine, Fun Fur, scraps, whatever. She's a fun and funky almost teen and I know she'd love something wacky, that's why I'm not suggesting any specific square to use or yarn to use, just black and purple. If you want to edge them in black SS yarn so I can connect them easily, that would be great - otherwise I'll put the edging on if you don't have any.

Here is a link to one of their jerseys to see the color:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/32/180px-Kings20033rdjersey.gif

I appreciate anyone that can help as it would mean a lot to be able to offer something of comfort that would remind her of her grandma and also let her know how loved she is.

Thank you:manyheart

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have 2 skeins of caron ss in black....i will try to get a few squares off to you this week and send the rest of the yarn along to join them! please send your address! i feel really sorry for this young one

Oh dear, how sad. I will gladly help, resend me your addy...lol..I just got them books out to you, and now I haven't got your addy, I went and deleated all my read PM's, as i fulfilled all my obliations as of yesterday. So PLEASE pm me your addy again, and off I will search for the right sized squares. I know I have black, but will run out and get some purple in the morning. :hug

oh,I have that purple too, it was for hubbys vickings afghan...lol...and I found a square I can do here

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/01granny/ladysquarevariation.shtml

Just sent the addy to you all - thanks so much! I just put "Thank You" in the title - guess I should have put what it was for...

Here's a picture of Maggie and Tara (Maggie on the left, Tara on the right) they'll be teenagers in just five weeks!

faggiemaggieTARA075.jpg

Again, thank you all so much for your kindness...

Just wanted to send a big purple thank you to all who responded willing to give of their time (and yarn) so I can put this together for Maggie.

I sent the addy out to every post above this one so if it didn't get there :think then let me know and I'll try try again!

Gotta get ready for work now...

:hug

I will make two squares for you. I had two wonderful Grandmothers and even though I was older when they passed I still miss them today. But have wonderful memories of them. So I would love to help. Send me a pm with your address. Thanks!

If you still need some squares let me know and give me your address. I just happen to have some purple (Kings color) yarn that I have no clue what to do with, I bought it cuz it was soft feeling and pretty

I never had the joy of grandparents (perhaps I mentioned this before) as they had all passed before I was born... thank you for offering to help, and I hope you have good memories of your grandparents while you're crocheting!

I will make two squares for you. I had two wonderful Grandmothers and even though I was older when they passed I still miss them today. But have wonderful memories of them. So I would love to help. Send me a pm with your address. Thanks!

It was wonderful to get home and see more offers for squares - I've PM'd each of you with the addy and am so grateful for the generosity of the fellow Villagers, especially knowing everyone is so busy with holiday projects and just life in general. You all are so wonderful.... now off to the shower and back to making squares!:hook

Paulette,

If you can use some more squares, PM me your address and I'll get some out. I have some purple, though probably not the same shade, if thats ok? I also think varying shades would be cool, but let me know what you think!

Big :hug to Maggie!

OH thank you all so much! You're all so wonderful! Maggie is over now and her and Tara are helping each other figure out what to wear to the funeral on Friday. It will be cool (California cool - we're wimpy here! Could drop below 50 degrees)

They are happy and it's wonderful to see them smiling. They want me to take pictures of them so I'm off to play photographer and crochet some more!

Well, a little calmer now... the girls were having a blast which was really nice.

I showed Maggie Crochetville and told her how the Villagers were making squares for her afghan and she said, "I feel so loved!"... it really made her happy!

Her and Tara were having fun with the digital camera and took about 100 pics (okay, maybe I'm exagerating... they probably only took 96) but here's a really sweet one that I wanted to share: (Maggie on the left, Tara on the right)

MAGGIEANDTARAblackdress019.jpg

Well, just got back from the funeral service and it really was a lovely remembrance of Ms. Gonzalez's life... Her children were quite stoic (they are in their 40's) and it was amusing when her daughter got up to do a eulogy and went to refer to her notes only to find that she had a Costco grocery list with her! She said, "Thanks, Mom!" and everyone was able to laugh.

Maggie seemed to have a tough time of it - just sorta overwhelmed by the ceremony of it all, being a Catholic funeral it can be somewhat intimidating.

And what to my wondering eyes did appear (in the mail) when I got home? Two BEAUTIFUL squares for Maggie's comfortghan from Chriscrochetcrazy! I'm talking some excellent work here - absolutely stunning!

Thank you so much, Chriscrochetcrazy, for your generosity! What a lovely gesture and the timing is impecable...

Also I debuted my Butterfly Shawl at the service (I worked hard to finish it last night). You can see it in the Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along, one of the last posts.

Here's a big Hug:hug and Love:manyheart to my wonderful Crochetville family!

Oh, JoAnn, the squares arrived and they are beautiful! Thank you so much! You don't know how much I appreciate the help! I have ten squares now! Six from the Villagers and four that I made... This is so exciting!:cheer

Hugs:hug

Hi dearheart! I finished 4 squares for Maggie, and am mailing them out today right before I go to work, so start looking, I hope you like them. :hug

After receiving the squares from Alisha and JoAnn I realized how much my squares, um, suck. So I went to Michael's and got some nicer yarn (was using the cheap stuff I had lying around) and I'm gonna make the rest of mine look more up to par with what I'm receiving from you talented Villagers.

Again, I thank you so much for sharing your talent and helping me with this project!:manyheart

Paulette - somehow I missed this post and want to send you at least one square but I don't have purple or black yarn and I don't know when I will be able to get to the LYS. I will try and go early this week and will check back with you after I do.

Archived