please help!! im crunch timing it here!!

rokyoursoks

Question

sup dudes, my name is taylor, and i have never even seen someone crocheting before.. actualy maybe once at a volleyball tourney, but anywhoo... i need some mad help!! i listen to a band called thrice religiously, and their bassist crochets alot of his beanies. my girlfriend is going away for christmas break and i reaaaaly wanna knit her a beanie for xmass! so, i was wondering

1)what utensils i would need - what kind/type/size of yarn, a hook? i think thats what its called, and anything else - to crochet something like this ( fire - jam sessions - thats thrice's bassist in the foreground with the beanie)

2) how much time it would take, and

3) if i even have a shot at pulling this off

please reply back to me either on this forum or via email (rokyoursoks AT gmail DOT com)

Thanx dudes and dudets,

Taylor

15 answers to this question

The kind of yarn and size of hook you would need depends on the pattern you're using. I'd suggest going to Crochet Pattern Central's free pattern directory and choosing a pattern. It should tell you what size of yarn. Worsted weight is one of the most common. Yarn like Red Heart Super Saver is worsted weight. I would recommend using a yarn like that, since it's easy to see the stitches.

There are a lot of places online to learn to crochet. Just google "crochet instructions" or "how to crochet" or something and a whole load of things should pop up. You might also check out one of those "Learn to Crochet" books, that's how I learned to knit. If you still need help, there are a lot of friendly people here. :)

How long it will take you to learn, well, I can't really answer that. But I absolutely think you have a shot.

Yes - I'd say you have a shot, but first you have to find the pattern. Crochet Pattern Central would be a good place to look. When you have the pattern picked, it will tell you the type of yarn, and hook size. I think I've even seen that hat at JoAnn's in a "kit" - yarn, hook and directions included. I think it was about $20 or so. If you have a JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or other such store in your area, you could go check out their patterns - usually there is a crocheter crusing the aisles(looking at yarn for their stash) that you could ask advice from. I know I've assisted many a new hooker at Hobby Lobby.

Well I think that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I looked at the picture and it kind of looks like this pattern. I'm doing one just like it and its not really that difficult.

http://www.hookmeupcrochet.com/Create/Patterns/blue_star_cloche.htm

For the yarn, use a worsted-weight (it says it on the package) in whatever color she would like. And the hook will be an H hook. I'd suggest going in for a metal type one because they're much less bendy and such.

There are places all over the internet to help beginners learn also. I know that everyone here is super awesome aobut it also and I think some of them even have videos explaining things.

I'll link some after i find a few for you.

You are an awesome boyfriend to be doing this for your girl! Does she like any particular type of fabric? Like wool or cotton, there are so many different kinds of yarn to choose from. Then you get to pick whichever color you want! The possibilities can be endless.

But don't get to overwhelmed!

Find the way to hold the hook that is most comfortable to you: underhand or over.

Really it comes down to slip stitching and single crochet and the rest are variations on single crochet (sc) stitches ( Half Double Crochet (hdc) double crochet (dc) etc.)

It might seem overwhelming at first, but just try making a square to practice (this is called a swatch).

Search around this forum. There are tons of great threads on just about any question you could have. And if you can't find your answer, just ask! Don't spend money on books yet unless you know you want to make many more crochet things. There are a ton of free patterns and info on the internet and also check out a book from your library ( I usually need something in front of me while I am learning!)

Good Luck!

Here's a link to thread with a beanie pattern that someone just posted here at the 'ville: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38795 (you can do this all in one color too if you want)

if you need help with stitches, check out Annie's Attic - they have great diagrams and videos: http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

Have fun! :waving

Archived