What is the most you have ever paid for a skein of yarn???

I would love to buy it. Mainly just to say I own $120 yarn. However, if I ever did buy it I highly doubt I'd ever use it. I'd be too scared it get hurt or something. Heck, I have a hard enough time buying novelty yarn mainly because of the price. But the most I've ever spent was $5.99/skein for JoAnn's Boucle yarn and I bought two of them. Right now, they're just hanging out waiting for me to do something with them that's worthy of me attempting to work it. :lol

Oh my! I looked at the bufflo yarn and paused for a monment. I might save and get some of that...But the 120 yarn! It said may be used for trim or a purse! I know how I treat purses...No way in heck would I crochet a purse out of that. LOL

:cheer My theory is, if you dont spend the $120.00 for that ball of yarn, you can take the $120 you saved and spend it on 120 balls at $1.00. :think

I know this is not really a competiton, but, I once spent $21,000.00 on Yarn.

I actually bought the whole shop.

So do I win???:lol

Because I was using so much yarn, I thought one day, "why dont I buy the shop?"

As it happened, the owner had just lost her husband and had been thinking of selling so I bought it, lock stock and balls of wool.

I spent the next several years knitting for customers until I sold it in 1994 and then got Grandchildren.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

The most I paid was $15 for a skein of 'techno hair' (not the real name, but it's what the sales lady called it)--way back when the eyelash yarn craze first started and you could only find this stuff at yarn stores...problem was I had only worked with regular yarn and a granny square was about the most complicated I could muster...when I tried to work with this stuff I very soon realized I was in way over my head. The skein didn't get used, but did get petted. :lol

All these years later I have worked with those so-called 'difficult' yarns, but still haven't used that skein, it's been in my stash the whole time.

You got a bargin on that yarn Aggie May! My DH would fall over if I suggest buying a yarn store! :eek

I did check out that yarn for $120 a skein~you know I would think you could make that up yourself~looks like it was just a solid yarn with crystals on it! Go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and get some solid yarn and some crystals! Save yourself at least 105.00!!:P

The only reason I picked up the skein I did was because living in Texas where I do I figured I would never be able to go someplace a fondle yarns and know where they come from!

I will post the website for you all to check out~http://www.royalspin.us/

mgf~:yay

The most I've spent on a skein of yarn is $65 per skein for Sirdar Yo-Yo HOWEVER....Sirdar's skeins are very, very big. I'm talking huge. There's something like 950 yds per skein. One skein is enough to make most things even an afghan. Also, Sirdar Yo-Yo is very hard to find. I bought 1 skein of every color I could find (about 6 skeins) then I discovered JoAnn's Sensations which is very similar to Sirdar Yo-Yo and not near as expensive.

I just don't understand the $120 yarn. Not because it isn't worth that- preceisely because they might not be overcharging. Silk with swarovski (sp?) crystals? It could cost them a ton to put that out. But why manufacture something that opulent?

Seriously, if you edged a purse with that like they suggest, wouldn't everyone assume those crystals were the $1.99 a package plastic gems anyway? Is this one of those items you would end up telling people waaay too much info about so they would know how valuable it is/crazy you are?

I just don't understand the $120 yarn. Not because it isn't worth that- preceisely because they might not be overcharging. Silk with swarovski (sp?) crystals? It could cost them a ton to put that out. But why manufacture something that opulent?

Seriously, if you edged a purse with that like they suggest, wouldn't everyone assume those crystals were the $1.99 a package plastic gems anyway? Is this one of those items you would end up telling people waaay too much info about so they would know how valuable it is/crazy you are?

Excellent point. So then the status points you gain by having the thing are lost in your need to brag talk about it. So it's a null set anyway.

Better to buy some real yarn and actually make something with it.

Last July I went to Amherst, MA for a job interview. While there, I briefly stopped in at WEBS (in Northampton). They had Debbie Bliss pure silk in 50 gram hanks for $14.95. I know for pure silk, that isn't all that expensive, but that is surely the most I've paid for yarn. But I couldn't help myself: it's so unbelievably soft! I bought 3 hanks of it. I still haven't figured out the perfect use for it, though.

Well the most expensive yarn I bought is Lion's Brand long chenille now discontinued @ 7.99 a skien. I liked the feel so much that I made a blanket for my bed. The thing started out as an afghan, and turned into a blanket that hangs over the sides of the bed. Did I mention I have a king size bed. It is really pretty and matches the decor in the room. Not sure what my hubby would say if he ever new just how much that blanket actually cost. At least I use it ever winter on the bed for the last six years or so and it still looks and feels wonderful.

Tracey

i'm cheap.. the most i've paid was $7 for some pure alpaca i found on sale at AC Moore can't remember the yardage and i'm too scared to use it b/c i can't find a pattern worthy of it!

I am another cheapie. LOL The most I paid was $4.99 for one skein. My 2 yr old grandson tore off the label when he got into my yarn basket and I don't know what I did with it. It is a very large skein of blue jewel tones, very soft Bernat. It's earmarked for my something special for my 2 nieces. My grandson's hands are quicker than my legs. (smiling sheepishly).

$120 for yarn with crystals? I use RH and large plastic "crystal" beads or Pony beads. There are all kinds of pattern books for crochting with beads. I've added beads to borders that didn't call for them just to give it some pizzazz. It doesn't cost much, about $ 2 a bag of 50 - 60 beads.

Ellie 13

I recently paid $9.50 for Blue Sky Alpacas sock yarn...but I keep drooling over the Colinette yarns that are at $18+ per skein. I know I'm going to break down eventually.

Archived