Hairpin lace idea

Okay, Drops is my weakness!! AAaaaaaugh!! I have found so many wonderful ideas there, and they just keep my creative juices flowing!! :lol Anyhow, does anyone out there agree with me that this dropstitch k**t coat could be made with hairpin or broomstick lace? Waddaya think?

:bump because I just wonder what others think...Ignore the scarf. I was thinking of using a similar type of yarn, like Paton's Divine (a mohair blend). I know this is knitted with a drop-stitch (I recognize the stitch, but still can't figure out how to do it!), but if you look closely, it seems like there are 'strips'. What do y'all think? Is this a :idea or a :badidea?

Tracey,

The coat is beautiful, but just how difficult will it be to switch a knitted pattern into a crocheted pattern. If you use a similiar crocheted pattern and the same yarn type, then you could get the same look. Or you could play around with different crochet stitches and see if you can create your own.

Tracey

No idea how possible it is, but I'd love to see the finished result of you trying :) I'm sure even if it doesn't look the same, it'll be beautiful. Broomstick is so pretty

It seems to me that the pattern is just a knitted version of the shell stitch with a purl row in between. I wish there was a closer view of the stitch. I think you could do a crochet version:yes I haven't done broomstick or hairspin lace so I'm not sure about that. I would love to see a photo of it when you are done:manyheart

Hi Tracey,

I have worked somewhat with both hairpin and broomstick lace. I don't see why you couldn't use either to make the jacket. I had a look at the site and it looks very possible to make it with either technique. Since I hate the finishing work I'd lean towards broomstick myself, which lends itself to the sections forming naturally. More importantly, I wouldn't have to stitch the strips together and I would have a better chance of completing the project.

I'd love to see your progress if you decide to go for it!

This is what the knitted stitch looks like - it has more in common with a shell stitch to my way of thinking - with a long loop stitch on occasion

But this is what you want to create in crochet

hyacinthst.jpg

This is one repeat of the 6 rows of the pattern.

Archived