Frustrated with pattern

This isn't the first time this has happened but I am really frustrated with this pattern. I just finished a sweater and I tried it on and it didn't fit like it should. To top it off, it doesn't look as good as the picture with the pattern. I don't think they thought out properly the larger size and I actually had to make some modifications. The pattern didn't have enough shoulder length and it initially kept falling off my shoulders (which it wasn't suppose to do that). :(

I took it to work and the ladies at work all just loved it but I am just too frustrated with it to even like it now. The ultimate kicker is that it fits too tight (not a normal X-large size but should have been marked medium instead on the pattern). :think Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I think this is the major reason many crocheters don't want to try garments. What if you put in all that effort and it 'is not quite like the pattern'.:thair:rant

One challenge we are having these days is the skin tight clothing styles so that some items are planned with negative ease, which is likely what happened to yours. I am sorry this has happened to you.

I consider myself a decent crocheter but I still avoid many garment patterns because I don't want to waste my time and just end up

frogs_17622_md.gif

Your friends seem to like it. Is it possible that you have just developed this distaste for it and it isn't that bad - just asking :?

I do sympathize with you on this. When we all get to heaven, every stitch will be perfect but until then...

What pattern is it?

I have learned when making a garement to measure and try on frequently. Most things are to long for me so I have to modify. I am 5'2" and most things are made for 5' 6" I think. The body and arm lengths are always off and across the shoulders is usually to narrow.

I am currently working on the Lion Brand Lush Lace Pullover. What a mess this pattern is. No one of the measurements has been correct. There is a vent about it in another thread. Hopefully I can get it to come out at least wearable for myself. I would not try this for someone else unless they were right here where I could constantly check and measure while I ignore the pattern instructions.

i am sorry your garment has been a disapiontment, i am working on a lion brand bolero which hasnt turned out as i expected, i was doing it for my daughter and it was too small ,i was doing the biggest size which should fit her [she is big busted but slim],but it was to narrow in the back and wouldnt meet in front i frogged it and started again, doing it in my own way with my own amount of st and increases where i felt i needed them [i already tried using a bigger hook but this just made it too loose]i hope this time it will be ok , this was to be a surprise gift but owing to the circumstances i had to have her try it on to make sure it fit this time .i am not new to crochet and feel sorry for any newbie excited about a project and is disapointed by bad designing it can be off-puting

I am so sorry this happened to you :hug , I don't have the GUTS to try a garment for myself, I am too, well shall we say "fluffy" and I worry they wont fit, and with my budget, I am not going to spend big bucks on somehting I am not sure will fit me...

BUT if your friends at work liked it, maybe it is good fitting and you just have to get used to it?:manyheart

I've shied away from garments too for a few reasons: (1) I'm a bit thick in the middle in my middle years, and many tops are fitted, which would only accentuate my spare tire. (2) I too am afraid to do that much work and it not turn out well, which with me would probably happen because I've never sewn and don't know much about garment construction (and probably wouldn't do it well even if I did!) (3) Many patterns I see call for pricey yarn which I'm not wanting to buy. I'm going to try a poncho for my niece, but beyond that, I might not do garments much at all.

Ah yes, that's a very common problem. Even though I've been crocheting for 40 years, I have it too. I can't tell you how many times I've had to alter a pattern because the finished product didn't fit correctly. Look at it in the same way that you look at purchased clothing. Many items on the rack vary across one size so much that there is no way to buy unless you try it on. You must always approach crocheting a garment as an experiment in design, even if you are following a pattern! :yes

Thanks for the support. I had added several rows to make sure that it was long enough (I don't like the new short shirts and sweaters - can't hide the tummy or toosh that way). I'll find a way to wear it or I'll find someone who wants it. :)

I think my frustration also is from the yarn used. It kept breaking every time I tried to tie it off. I've never had that happen to me before.

I am almost done with another sweater and poncho so this won't stop me from making garments (even items for my boys). I just have never been soooo mad at a project before. :thumbdown

I once gave a good tug to the last loop on a boucle' yarn and it broke at the sweater contact point; there went my loop and my end to tuck in to make it secure. I had to frog, add a bit and try again. Boy that was annoying.

I am glad you are not turned off making other items. It can be very rewarding to have something you make yourself that even allows for being fluffy (or not)

I do think we are allowed to be ticked when it all goes awry. We just rant; vent a little spleen and move on. :cheer

Archived