Super Simple Things for Kids to Crochet

I've been brainstorming about simple, simple things kids can do who are learning single crochet. For instance, a square can be can be a mug rug, a doll house rug, a blanket for a doll house. Two small squares can be sewn together and stuffed to make sachets or beanbags, leave one end open for a little purse. Two rectangles can make a doll sleeping bag. You can make simple baby (or doll) booties by folding up a rectangle, sewing the back and gathering the toe. Two larger squares can be a funky hat, a tea cosy, a larger purse (with chained strap). Can you give me some other ideas? I'd like to draw up some plans for very young children and everything "for beginners" moves them along MUCH too quickly.

I want simple, small projects that will keep single crochet interesting.

Ideas?

scarves? seasonal, though they take a bit longer. purses made from large rectangle (fold in half, sc around edges (or sew)...or fold not quite in half to leave a flap...like an envelope purse) small felted stuff...like bags...ummm...

chain flowers? (ch 2, sc in first ch, * ch 7, sc in same chain * Five times. join fasten off...attach to everything! (keyrings, backpacks, belts, etc etc)

that's as far as my brain can work tonight...hope it helps.

my mom got my sister and I started crocheting when we were real small so we made outfits for our barbies and baby dolls, we helped mom with her afghans, kinda helped great grandma with her tbale cloths.

So I would say simple sqaures or your drawstrings...OH and one of my fav as a child was to make our ornaments (but mom always starched them she would not let us).

I made myself tiny purses, simple triangle shawls, we learned baby botties real young.

there are a ton of ideas out there. what about arigumi dolls (sorry cant spell it)?

Doll sized, or even travel sized pillows, coasters... that's all I got...lol. Maybe a dish cloth or potholder (2 sq sewn together??) but not sure how much fun that would be for the kiddo's...lol.

Maybe a belt, as it could be a long rectangle of single crochet. If you aren't doing the kind you tie, they might need help sewing on the D rings though. They could make a matching purse to go with it. If they aren't into purses, maybe a small backpack to carry their treasures in. If they have a cell phone, maybe even a holder for it.

personally I hate working into foundation chains, and I have seen a few beginners so frustrated with working into chains. whatever I taught, I think i'd do my hardest to avoid chains for a while. just mho :)

I would try a simple SC hat project. hats have a lot of latitude in what qualifies these days and it is something they could really make a show with.

it would depend on each child - it the joining doesn't go, ok let it go but if it works --major wow factor!

Archived