What level of a crocheter are you?

Katchkan

I have been crocheting over thirty years now and feel I have graduated to

advanced. I still have problems with some patterns but most of the time

I recognize that the pattern had a mistake and kind of know how to fudge

my way around it. It sure keeps our brains working!!!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say intermediate for me...there's a whole lot I can do and do beautifully, but just as much that I haven't tried! The last few months have shown me that I knew more than I thought I did, but I still have the feeling that the more I learn the more there is to learn. If that makes any sense at all...

• 1 month later...

Good question. I would place myself as advanced, maybe even learning toward expert. I think what distinguishes an expert is the ability to take crochet to the next level in creativity and innovation. Pattern designers who push the envelope with their designs and unique uses of technique are "experts". People who can interpret these designs and recreate them from a pattern (regardless of how difficult that pattern may be) are "almost experts" which is where I consider myself to be.

Having said that, I have made my own patterns including some unusual and novelty items. I have repaired and re-created antique patterns. I have re-created and written patterns for old doilies going only by a photo. Possibly that makes me an "expert" but in any case the designation doesn't matter to me as much as the personal satisfaction I get from mastering the craft and passing it along.

I would say I'm an advanced beginner. I've only been crocheting for the past 3 months (learned when I was a kid) but I feel I've picked it up quickly and love learning new stitches!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I would say I'm a moderate. I can read a pattern, am comfortable with all kinds of stitches, hooks, etc. However, I'm not much of an experimenter. I love to do afghans and scarves but not interested in learning intricate patterns or clothes, toys, etc. I kind of like the straight crocheting but with different stitches, colors, hooks.

• 5 months later...

technically I'm a self taught beginner ( only been at it a few months ) but I do advanced patterns and doilies with ease , not tried my hand at fitted clothing yet .

Generally speaking, I would class myself as advanced. Not expert, because there are some things I don't do: hairpin lace, irish crochet, bullions and love knots. I haven't really done much clothing either. But then I might be good at those, I don't know. I haven't tried these things because I either don't like the way they look, or I just don't find them interesting enough to invest any energy into learning them. :blush

With that said, I will try almost anything. If there's a pattern, there's a way to make it come out right (even if that means correcting mistakes as you go). And if I'm determined enough, it will come out right! How's that for self-confidence? :P

I consider myself to be advanced in thread too, though I've only worked with size 10 thread. I've done some pretty advanced patterns (that Flower Bouquet one, for instance), and I'm willing to try most any thread pattern that comes my way. Here again, I would class myself as expert if I could do bullions and irish crochet. But I don't like either of those, so I'm unlikely to learn.

I can design simple things: scarves, pillows, and the like. Nothing too complex there. But I disagree that you have to be able to design to be an 'expert'. You can be an expert even if you just follow patterns. Designing, to me, is almost a different craft.

I would classify myself now as an Advanced Beginner. But, if we go by the rating scale a few posts back, I'm not on the scale because of my eyesight I will NEVER crochet with thread :eek.

But I can now proudly say that I understand when I read a pattern, can follow NOT freak out when a new technique is mentioned and will go ahead and try it, and have finally gotten to where my starting chain has even tension!

Marie

Out of curiousity, ( which I have an abundance of,) What level of ability do you consider yourself in your crochet?

And now the tough part, how do you figure out what level you are? I am curious as I am never quite sure what level to assign a pattern.

What makes you

A beginner,

An advanced beginer,

A moderate,

An intermediate,

As advanced

An expert.

Or what other levels do you think there should be?

:think I have been crocheting off and on since I was a kid, when my grandmother taught me. I definitely do not consider myself an expert or advanced because there are many things I have never crocheted such as a ripple afghan, toys, clothes and other various items (simply because I have not had an interest in crocheting those items), although I would like to try to make a rr and beginning to take interest in making the care bears. I had never seen a rr until I came here. I know all the stitches and can pick up a pattern and read it, and not interested in writing a pattern. I have found and corrected mistakes in patterns and altered patterns a little (if the notion struck me to change it). I basically just crochet what I am interested in and don't pay any attention to the status of beginner, easy, advanced etc... listed on the pattern. I don't like thread, therefore don't do that much. If I like it, I make it. So I guess I would classify myself as advanced beginner-moderate.

Well, speaking of perceptions, I thought I was a pretty advanced crocheter in my own little world, but, having read others' perceptions, I guess I'd definitely have to change that. Humility is a good thing though. :D Ok, in my own little world, I'm really proud of the things I've accomplished and feel like an expert. In Crochetvilleworld, put me down for expert-beginner. :D

As far as what I crochet... um... I can follow patterns and fudge bad instructions and I stopped dropping stitches all the time - does that count? I pretty much stick to worsted weight yarn, but for my current project, I branched out to light worsted weight. woohoo! I own a steel thread hook. I used to get my yarn from Walmart, but then I upgraded to Michael's. Do I hear advanced beginner? How about slightly better than the complete beginner?? Anyone?

:D

In my humble opinion...an expert crocheter is NOT one who knows and does everything...but someone who is willing and able to learn...and help others to do the same. I have been crocheting for a lot of years...36 or so. I do many advanced applications. I don't just crochet and knit...but I teach. Apparently I'm good at teaching, because my students pick up crocheting quickly and easily. Yes, they do have a lot to do with how quickly they catch on, but without a decent teacher...they only catch on to how to make mistakes...not how to crochet well. LOL The students I have had, learned well. I make up my designs when I want and need to. I know how to find the information I need to help myself and others to be better and do more advanced techniques...even when I don't know them to begin with. I can crochet left or right handed. I'll be honest and tell you that my left handed stuff is NOT as awesome as anything I do right handed...but I have done projects just so I can say...yeah...I can do this both ways. :) It helps when I want to teach someone who is left handed as well. With my left hand, I can't control the tension well...and the stitches are a lot tighter...and also looser...than anything I ever crochet right handed. But, they're there. I think this may make me expert. Bottom line, who cares? I'm happy just to have the ability to pick up a needle and make something to give, sell or use that is beautiful and useful. Do I make mistakes...oh yeah. Every day! But I also know how to fix them and go on. :) I also have a business license and sell my stuff when I feel like it. :)

Have an awesome evening or day.

Blessed Be.

I found out I can do this left-handed too! Like you, I had to teach a left-hander, so ended up trying it myself, and I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Perhaps being a musician helps!

Also, I don't think you need to crochet with thread to be an expert. You can just as well be an expert yarn crocheter. Thread is just a different medium. It would be like saying to be an expert musician, you need to know how to play every instrument. :P

My students think I'm an expert. ;)

The funny thing there is...I do crochet with thread. And, yes, I've done Tunisian...although I never called it that. I have 2 afghan needles...and have used both. I am not particulary enthused with them. But, that's just me. :) Have an awesome day.

Blessed Be.

• 1 month later...

I wondered also. I was reading (I think on the lionbrand stories) and a woman called herself a Master crocheter and Master knitter. What it that? When I look at a pattern I Read it and see if i can figure it out or not, but then i like a challenge too!

I'm not sure how I would classify myself. I taught myself how to crochet in 2000, but until recently (discovering this site :lol ) I pretty much stuck to blankets. However, that's not to say those are always easy. When it comes to crochet and cross stitch, for the most part, I like it, it's pretty and it doesn't occur to me that I may not know how to do something. I'm usually pretty good at eventually figuring it out. Even if it takes me a while. Two good examples:

1) The book I learned from did say to turn at the end of a row, so I would at first. But when I looked at the pictures, my piece didn't seem to look the same. And I thought the stitches were supposed to look the same for each row. So then I thought maybe turning meant to go backwards with the hook. But I couldn't get that to work for me (I think I was unknowingly trying to do a reverse :lol ). So I switched the hook to my left hand and went that way. I can honestly say that crocheting is the only thing I'm ambidextrious in.

2) I always thought the top loop AFTER the stitch itself belonged to that stitch. It wasn't until I was doing Aggie May's RR that it occurred to me the top loop leading up to the stitch is the one that goes with the stitch. Everything always mostly worked ok though.

• 2 months later...

expert. when you can just look at a look at a garment or item (like a sweater in a department store display) and know how many skeins it will take and go home and whip that garment out like nothing, then you are truly gifted.

Archived