Do every stitch I've ever encountered

Design my own patterns

Calculate size and proportions of clothing pattern pieces

Alter patterns to fit my figure

Add couture finishing features to my garments

I am NOT expert because I can NOT:

Write patterns for multiple sizes

Write a pattern without errors!

Visualize certain design elements and how they may be accomplished through crochet

Come up with fabulously creative designs that will appeal to the market

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very rare, if ever, that I pay attention to skill levels on a pattern. If I want to do it, I at least try it. For me, it's a way to enhance what I do know and learn what I don't. I've only been crocheting for little over a year, and I've noticed that I know as much as, or more than, many who have been crocheting for ages. I've even made up a few patterns of my own (not written in a language anyone else could understand yet!), and I can crochet with yarn, thread, and wire. So for me, if I'm going to have to be labled, I'd say I'm somewhere between--but not including--an advanced beginner and an expert.

I would say that I'm a beginner. But I can do some intermediate things. But not always some of the beginner things. Some things intimidate me. I think that sometimes all I need is a more detailed instruction on the stitch used. I am working on one now that has a stitch that I can't figure out. I don't know why. So I just left it out, it's a really pretty afghan anyways, so I'm not at a total loss.

Somewhere in the intermediate to advanced beginner. I have not done any clothing like sweaters yet. I would like to try a top by the end of the year I think. The sleeves scare me.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm very much a beginner. At this time I'm just fiddling about until I get a few more hooks and things. I look at the things other people make and I look forward to being able to do them. I want to go beyond what my grandma did. Don't get me wrong, she was great and she was very good at what she did crochet, but she never pushed herself to go beyond afghans, house shoes and padded hangers. Anyhow, I just hope in a few years time I can look back on my humble beginnings and see how far I've come and then look forward and say, "Yes, I will try this now" and that I will never stop learning or growing or changing in both my life and in my craft.

Mandy

I think i would be An advanced begginer, i have made many large granny afghans and easy bedsocks but am now only just starting to tackle patterns :) so far so good,making a mobile phone bag and babys diaper shirt, now onto something a little more of a challenge!

I class myself....willing to try any project. :) I have a bad habit of jumping headfirst into the deep end. I don't believe in starting small and working my way up. I see something cool and that is what I want to do, no matter how easy or difficult. Sometimes this blows up in my face and sometimes it works out great. Notice, despite myriad explosions, I am still jumping in the deep end.

I'm a beginner and proud! I just taught myself the basic stitches this week, and I managed to make a double crochet shell pattern swatch, which made me feel very accomplished.

I did, however, have nothing but problems trying to make clusters and bobbles and such. But it's all a new adventure! I can't wait to work on my first project, which will probably be the sampler scarf in Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting.

I would have to say advanced beginner....I learned from a book, years ago and didn't keep it up.....really regret that...because by now I would probably be really good at it..... so I'am just really starting again....haven't done anything to complicated, I mainly stick with the easier patterns...

It is an interesting question. There are so many crochet skills, and while some may have mastered all of them, for others it may be a matter of different levels according to the project type.....

for me -- I've never done socks, and my wearables - sweaters / tops never come out right.

But in terms of ponchos, and afghans I would give myself intermediate ++

Shawls and doily's can be more intricate so that is a just about intermediate.

3d dolls / puppets are beginner level projects for me.

Purses are at a beginning level......can do most patterns but finishing is still hard...

I can follow most patterns but cannot design my own although I use a variety of stitiches.

I am not afraid to try intricate patterns but there are some stitches that I just cannot figure out as written.

So it seems that the question begs a "it depends"

I've been wondering about that question. I can't crochet fast(I have seen crocheters crochet a mile a minute, I can't do this...but would love to learn) ,or design my own pattern, or figure out why the stitches do what they do. I taught myself how to make hats, use some advance stitches. Hmmm, I think I am a advance beginner, maybe.

• 1 month later...

Hmm...well, I never tried a pattern I couldn't do, as long as its written correctly and plainly. And I've been crocheting since I was about 11 years old (about 29 years). I've desinged quit a few of my own stuff, but for personal reasons I don't normally share those. The Drops Design patterns give me a head ache only because they're written differently than what we normally see in our crochet patterns here in the states. The only stitchs that I've never really "mastered" is the Love Knot, broom stick lace, or hairpin lace. But I guess that's because I've never really tried. I taught myself how to read patterns years ago, I guess I can label my self as "experienced".

Hmmm...I guess I'd have to say advanced beginner. I don't have much of a problem reading patterns, can do all the basic stitches, can sew pieces together, and overall I'm not afraid to try a pattern I like the looks of even if it involves new techniques.

I do still struggle with crocheting in the round, and I'm a little intimidated by thread. I haven't made any garments yet and I'm not sure how well I'd do with shaping a piece to fit me better. But I hope to master it all eventually!

I think I COULD be more advanced than I am if I could muster the courage to attack some of those harder projects. But, for now, I'm comfortable sitting at the intermediate level, I think. :hook

Archived