Do You bring crochet projects with you when traveling to relative's house's.

my crochet goes everywhere with me if i am going to be there for a long period of time i even take it to the doctors office waiting room if i have to i did when my grandfather was in the hospital and i also take it with me to my moms when she is alone and wants company we sit and crochet together

I love to sit for like a hour or two after i get my house all cleaned up and sit and crochet just to relax i also take my crocht to work with me on saturdays when there is not much going on ... i dont think i can help the fact that i just love to crochet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I travel TONS for business. It goes with me then. If I'm going to my parents for the day, no. If I'm going overnight, it depends on the project I'm on. My mom's mom is the one who taught me, and sometimes my mom feels a little dissapointed that she herself didn't stick with it or pick it up again. It makes her happy to see that I enjoy it. That and I can't sit still to save my life. (I also take it to confuse the heck out of my dad.... just watching him try and read a pattern is hillarious! He asks me great questions though and I try and answer so he'll understand...)

***! I feel SO much better! I thought I was the only one who took projects with me!!! :whew

I have mine with me all the time. I bring a bag to work, to work on during lunch. When we go out of town for any reason, I have my bag or basket with me. I have a Longaberger magazine basket that works great for trips in the car. DH drives most everywhere we go, and it helps me to pass the time, plus I'm not watching how he's driving! :eek

My mom lives right next door.....I've been known to take a project over during family get-togethers, and hook away while we visit!

It depends how long the visit and when I saw them last. I ALWAYS take crochet with me and I crochet in the car (dh driving) on trips. When we visit my in-laws 2 or 3 times a year, we stay with them and I bring tons of crochet with me. I pull it out at night when we're sitting around watching TV. I don't pull it our if we're sitting talking and conversing on the first day we've arrived.

At holiday get togethers with kids underfoot and family we see once a year, I do not crochet. Even though I can crochet a sock mindlessly, without looking I feel it's a little impolite. My dh's family has a get together every Xmas and my SIL knits socks NON stop, practically in between bites at dinner. Many people in the family have commented to me that they appreciate that I DON'T crochet but play with the kids or help out in the kitchen more readily etc. It drives my MIL (her MIL, too) crazy that she does this. I figure it's just makes me look good! If we stay longer and are eventually just sitting around (kids asleep or outside playing etc) then I might pull out a small project.

I am never without hook and yarn or thread. I also bring it on longer trips in the car. I have to admit one day i actually was stuck in standstill traffic for almost an hour while an accident was cleared and I crocheted part of a scarf, oopps did i say I was the driver. I do not condone crochet while driving but after 20 minutes at a complete standstill I was going insane.

I always have a couple of small things in the car, just in case there's a lull in the action, or I just need a few minutes of meditative activity to center myself.

I also find that many of my young rels have become intrigued by the speedy progress I can make with crochet....it's gotten them interested in learning.

I usually bring a simple project with me. I have to admit however, I did NOT bring anything with me for X-mas at the In-laws. When we arrived Christmas Eve...by the grace of God, (our truck was making a horrific engine noise for the last 30 miles <but drove smoothly>) I thought to myself...we'll be here at least an extra day, I wish I'd brought my crochet. In the end...I would have never had a chance to touch it, so I guess it didn't matter after all.

I bring it with me whenever we go out of town or long drives. My hands are so use to have something in them when I'm just sitting. Or else I go stir crazy and think about the stuff I could be making.

I always take crocheting with me. You never know when you are going to have 'dead time' and at the very least, I want it in the car. I once was visiting and on my way home, there was a jam. The cop said it would be a couple hours before it cleared. Since it was 75 miles to go around, I just found a diner to get coffee and crocheted in the car. Got a lot done and a LOT LESS FRUSTRATION! The gal in the diner even let me know (via another customer who was leaving) that the jam had been cleared.

I don't normally crochet when actually visiting unless that person is also working on something. Most folks find it offensive and distracting. However, if we were watching something on TV, I'd still crochet!

Stephanie

I usually bring it everywhere with me as well. I took it on New Years Eve and that didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. They had all 4 of their dogs out and I didn't want them going after my yarn. Then I was teased about actually crocheting lol. They wanted to know what I would do when I'm old.:think I told them the same thing I do now. lol Then I informed them there are tons of ladies younger than me that do it. Oh well, I do still take it with me when I go to the school or doctors. And when we take vacations. Other than that it either stays in the truck or at home.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been taking my crochet/knitting with me. Only if I go to my sister's because we get together often for a stitchnbitch night. (I actually got my sister addicted to yarn arts again last night. :devil )

My sister and I are going to Stitching Camp, which is hosted by a cross-stitch store in Davison, MI, and asked if I would be kicked out of camp for crocheting. She said I wouldn't because many of the other campers do a "craft tour" where they visit sever other cross-stitch and yarn stores on the way to or from camp.

I take my crochet EVERYWHERE. It's always in the car with me in case I have to wait for one of my children or I get stuck in stopped traffic, etc. You never know when you may have a few minutes.:hook:blush

Archived