Do You bring crochet projects with you when traveling to relative's house's.

I too take my crochet bag on trips when I'm not driving. I take it to the doctor's waiting room, to my babysitting jobs (when the kid is resting)--I crochet at every opportunity.

However, I do not crochet when I'm talking to other people, except maybe my husband. If I go to visit someone, I give them my full attention. If we are talking about crochet, that's another story. I will show them my work and maybe a technique or two, but if we're just chatting, I don't crochet. If someone came to my house to visit me and pulled out their knitting or needlework or something else I didn't know how to do, I would take it as a sign that they would rather be doing something else than visiting me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took my son to the movies Saturday and even wondered if I could bring some in there with me but decided against it. :lol

I take mine to the movies :lol Course it helps if it's a light colored yarn so I can actually SEE what it is I'm trying to crochet.. but I've done this lots of times :devil

I hope this thread insprires someone to make up a little bag and keep it in the car or with them more often!

Since hubby does most of the driving, I usually have some crocheting with me (if I'm not reading).

My husband does most of the driving, too. I have taken easy things now and then but overall I rarely do it unless it's a long drive.

I'd rather look at the things going by. Right now it's BEAUTIFUL in GA. First real fall looking since I moved here.

:autumn

I took my son to the movies Saturday and even wondered if I could bring some in there with me but decided against it

I've taken it to Star Wars when I knew there would be a long wait even after we got seated. LOL

I take my crochet tote with me whenever we go someplace. It doesn't mean I have to use it, But I have it with me just in case the chance is there to crochet.

A lot depends on the situation whether I crochet or not. I try and remember this is not everyone's passion and some might find it rude for me to devote my attention elsewhere. But others wouldn't mind in the least. So I ask first if they mind. If they hesitate at all I forget it. It will wait.

Most of my family would not mind in the least.

I do crochet while traveling, and anytime I have to sit and wait for something.

A lot depends on who I am visiting. My cousin that I see only a couple times a year? No way. My mom who I see a couple times a week? DEFINATELY. She too would wonder what was wrong if I didn't at least have "THE BAG" with me. Sometimes I bring it and never get it out, but I like to have it, just in case. LOL! My inlaws, yes, my best friend, yes, the kids school, definately. Church, no, special occasions (Wedding, party) no.

We don't travel for Thanksgiving, because I work retail (yay Black Friday). It's just the two of us, so I will very likely do a lot of crochet while the turkey is in the oven.

For Christmas, we travel to eastern PA to the in-laws before the big day, then get in the car on Christmas Day and drive 2 hours to NJ to my mom's house.

While at the in-laws, I do a lot of crochet. There's not much else to do!

At my mom's though, I don't crochet. Mostly because she smokes AND has 3 cats! I don't want smoke stank and cat spit on my projects. LOL!

If I appeared at a family function without my WIP bag, the entire family would be checking me for illness! I have a project with me at all times, usually more than one project, and I've also learned to take an extra bit of yarn and a hook. More than once I've taught a niece or nephew, or someone else, how to crochet and wound up giving them the extra yarn and hook to take home and practice with.

Like with some others, hubby does most of the driving, and when I'm not reading something to him (on long drives), I'm crocheting. If I'm at the dr's office, or anywhere that I have a wait, I'm crocheting. I usually don't crochet at work, but I usually work through my lunch hour (yes it's that kind of job) so I usually don't have time to work on anything at work.

Any other time of the day, though, is a prime opportunity.

However, if I'm visiting with someone that I know would be offended by my not giving them my full attention during the visit, I wait. As much as I don't want to, I wait.

Most people who know me, however, are aware of my addiction, and don't mind a bit. Usually, they're all too happy to delve into the bag and see what I'm up to!

Taking crochet with me makes my relationship with my family better :U

My husband likes me better in the car when I don't pay attention to the speed.

I like week-long visits to my parents or my in-laws when I have something to occupy me during "down-time" - especially during sporting events or gospel singings on TV (of which I'm a big fan of neither, but can tolerate both when given another focus :U).

I went to PA with no projects - none! - and no yarn once last May. Yikes! I had to get to a Michaels STAT and buy some yarn, a pattern book, and a hook... thus the birth of the 63 squares afghan. Won't make that mistake again!

Absolutely!!! On my side of the family I fit right in -- my sister is usually pulling out her knitting when we're there, so why not join her?

At the in-laws it is a must. Otherwise I would go nuts with nothing to do while waiting of one of the brothers to roll his hungover butt out of bed and join the rest of us.

I always have a "take-along bag" with small projects in it. When I go a visitin' for a day or a week or whatever, I will always grab up that bag. Years ago I used to take a novel or craft book to read, but I found reading was so "exclusive" of the people around me. Now, I just "hook, loop and skip" my way through conversations.....have gotten a number of young'uns interested in trying out crochet when they see my "in progress" crocheted boas, fingerless gloves or shaggy leg warmers. They have no idea that you can crochet "cooooooool" things as well as my "old ladies'" doilies (....chuckling and hooking....".

I nearly always take my crochet with me. I feel lost with out it! I wish I didn't get motion sick though, I spend 3 hours a day minimum in the car with my husband driving. If I didn't get so ill, I could do so much crochet!

I swear it's like my fingers ache when I don't have my crochet with me.

I just got home from a 3.5 week stay in the states and yes I had projects to work on...didn't work every spare minute of the day while I was gone, but I did get stuff done or almost done. Depends on the circumstances and how distracted I get...but I'm thankful for having the projects when we were in the hotel rooms...and when I was at my IL's place one particular day...

If we are deep in conversation with the people we are visiting, I find it hard for me to divide my attention between the crocheting and paying attention to what is being said...but if we are basically all talked out, then the projects come out...

I take my crochet with me everywhere, this yr my mom is here, she hasnt crocheted in over 20yrs but the other day she wanted a scarf out of some yarn I have an I told her she had to make it herself so I handed her the yarn and a few hooks and she has made a wrap for my oldest and is working on a scarf for herself as I sit here an type. I will post pics as soon as she's done with her scarf.....She is also wanting me to make stuff for her to send to her husbands family in africa and I figure this way she can make the stuff herself and send it. the past few days my mom has crocheted more then I have but only because i can't figure out what I want to make now and i have an extra kid in the house besides my own 3.

I nearly always take my crochet with me. I feel lost with out it! I wish I didn't get motion sick though, I spend 3 hours a day minimum in the car with my husband driving. If I didn't get so ill, I could do so much crochet!

Same here! I feel queasy reading a road sign with too many words on it... LOL!

Instead, all I can do is sing along with the music... or sleep! ;)

I also never leave home without my crochet tote (a small one, but with pockets and room enough for a couple skeins of yarn and my hookcase and pattern). Even at get-togethers, no one minds if I am crocheting -- I do make it a small-size item, though, usually squares or a scarf or something similar. That way, I can quickly pack it up if needed. :-)

>> I took my son to the movies Saturday and even wondered if I could bring some in there with me but decided against it. <<

I wonder if the new lighted hooks would work in this type of situation without bothering anyone next to you? Has anyone here tried those in such a location?

>> I wish I didn't get motion sick though, I spend 3 hours a day minimum in the car with my husband driving. If I didn't get so ill, I could do so much crochet! <<

I am so sorry that motion sickness affects you that way. I can sure sympathize with you, except that (lucky for me, I guess) my medical problem works backwards for me in the car -- I have Meniere's Disease (the violent spinning vertigo), which is unpredictable in the timing of the attacks. Traveling in the car, though, I am usually able to keep the attacks from happening as long as I keep crocheting. My doctors can't figure out why; the only thing I can think is that crocheting seems to keep my brainwaves calmer and occupied in a way that prevents the "wires" from "short-circuiting". Since increasing my time crocheting, I have been able to cut back on my meds (the ones for the Meniere's) which is also healthier for me. :-)

I am so sorry that motion sickness affects you that way. I can sure sympathize with you, except that (lucky for me, I guess) my medical problem works backwards for me in the car -- I have Meniere's Disease (the violent spinning vertigo), which is unpredictable in the timing of the attacks. Traveling in the car, though, I am usually able to keep the attacks from happening as long as I keep crocheting. My doctors can't figure out why; the only thing I can think is that crocheting seems to keep my brainwaves calmer and occupied in a way that prevents the "wires" from "short-circuiting". Since increasing my time crocheting, I have been able to cut back on my meds (the ones for the Meniere's) which is also healthier for me. :-)

Wow! That's pretty amazing! Crochet as real therapy! :D

Wow, seagull, that's amazing! Glad to hear it helps :)

See, crocheting just can help in so many ways.

I did bring a small blanket to work on, and I finished it while we all watched Grey's Anatomy. We talked during commercials and I can be right there in the conversation with the sil's.

I feel I am involved talking and my hands are busy. It was a great holiday for all of us.

:manyheart

i have thougth many times to take my crochet with me but i always decided not too. after reading everyone here im going to start my inlaws are not real talkative people and its like pulling nails to carry on conversation or its about politics figured i get alot of projects done.

Have yarn will travel. That's my motto. I always take it with me where ever I go. Even if it is just to the doctor. Keeps me from going nuts while I wait. Most of my friends are so used to seeing it that they now ask why I am not crocheting if I don't bring it with me.

well i take at least some kind of project with me everytime i go somewhere lol my mom says its my third child this year i am in the process of making several hats and scarfs on thanksgiving day i made 3 scarfs sitting there with my mom talking about stuff while waiting for dinner to get done we live kinda close to my parents so it is a tradition that me and my mom take at least 1 day a month to work on a big project together

Archived