Do You bring crochet projects with you when traveling to relative's house's.

Hi Everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving! I was curious if you bring along a crochet project or two when going to the relative's house for Turkey dinner? I always do.

This year, I am bringing a baby afghan that is halfway done.

I bring a couple of vegetable dishes, and I help out in the kitchen. After dinner, I usually find a nice chair and quietly relax a while.

And then everyone joins me and I crochet and talk with my sil's. It's a nice holiday to eat and chat.

:manyheart

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bring mine everywhere. I even bring it into restraunts and crochet while im waiting for my meal. At this point I dont care what anyone thinks. It is a great conversation starter and it relaxes me. I am never without my crochet :)

Yes, I bring a project when I go for extended visits...if it's just for the afternoon, I tend not to because I know that I'll be wrangling the munchkins, but if we're going to be there after the kids are in bed then I'll bring something to keep myself occupied while I sit and chat with everyone else. When we went to NC this summer I didn't have any WIP that I could bring with us without needing a whole extra bag, so I just packed my little roll o' crochet hooks and 2 one pound caron skeins and that kept me occupied!!

Jessie

My crochet goes everywhere with me and I have specific projects that I am happy to say were made in time that would have otherwise been wasted in traffic (when I'm not driving) or up camping in the woods, it's really neat when I think of certain projects and can remember WHERE I made them, makes them really special to me.

Although if I rarely see the person and am only spending a short time, likely I wouldn't work on it during the visit.

Heck yeah! I couldn't stand trips without my yarn fix. In fact, this thanksgiving I'll be at my boyfriend's folks' house (they're my real family) teaching his stepmom to crochet while the menfolk fix dinner. Ah, I can't wait!

For over night or longer trips, yes.

For a day trip or just dinner, no. I'd rather give my full attention to my family and friends.

I used to take it everywhere when I was younger. Now I have a 3 year old that needs my full attention when we're out. For dinners out, I split that attention between her and my husband.

:)

Like Empress said, if I'm away for more than a day, I bring it with me, along with a book or two. I'm in VA for Turkey Day and I've got a workbag with me now; actually, I'm going to see if I can nag my cousin to take me to her LYS...since she wants the one-skein scarf I need to get more yarn! :P

I host the major holidays for my family and seldom find time to crochet during those days, but no one would mind if I did. And my sister has been known to cross stitch during get togethers, which is also fine. When we head to Arizona to visit my husband's family, I always take projects but never when we go to his locally located sister for Christmas Eve.

Yes, I take my crochet with me Everywhere! I take it when someone is :drive or when my kids are at speech:school or when visiting for:ttalk and :ctree. I feel like I'm unclothed somehow if I don't have my crochet with me. I enjoy crocheting so much that it is just an extention of myself. Just a part of my arm and hands. :hook

I hope this thread insprires someone to make up a little bag and keep it in the car or with them more often!

Since hubby does most of the driving, I usually have some crocheting with me (if I'm not reading). Sunday mornings on the way to church, waiting for my daughter, when I'm at the community theatre volunteering waiting for a show to be over....there are lots of opportunities to sit and crochet. Many times I will bring it when visiting family. We watch a game or movie and I can crochet and chat at the same time.

The caps for the capital have been a great project to tote. If I'm going to a relative's I don't mind bringing along an afghan!

When I travel from GA to MO to visit my parents I always bring a crochet project! One summer I was there for 2-3 weeks and a made about 15 doll blankets! They loved seeing my work!

-Dianne

My family would think I wasn't feeling well if I didn't Crochet! My Dad tells me when I visit that I remind him of my Grandmother (his Mom) That is a great compliment as far as I am concerned!:)

I take my bag wherever I go. I definitely take it to relatives' houses, and they don't mind. I've taught my MIL to crochet and refreshed my SIL's memory on knitting. I crochet on my lunch hour at work if I eat in, at my son's hour-and-a-half soccer practice, during long waits between soccer games, to pass time waiting in doctors' offices, you name it. I took my son to the movies Saturday and even wondered if I could bring some in there with me but decided against it. :lol

Archived