Your Not Going to Believe This...

I am ACTUALLY crocheting something for myself!!! My friend and I are making the same thing, only in different colors. We just spent over $120 at Knitting Warehouse for the yarn, hopefully it will be here before the holidays so we can work a ton on it.

Here is the pattern, it's the coat called "Ultraviolet Coat"...she is doing it in Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in Pumpkin, and I am doing it in Charcoal.

We both bought a skien from Michaels today to see if we could match guage - so we made the belt and now we are FROTHING at the bit to continue on.

I haven't made something for myself in I don't know HOW long, and I really needed a winter coat, so what better way than to crochet something I like PLUS in a color I love!!!

What do you think???

That is one cool looking pattern. Don't you just hate it when you can't start something right away. I think I like the colors you and your friend have picked out better then the picture.

Hey before you know it, the yarn will be here and you will be crocheting away. Can't wait to see it.:hook

I am looking forward to seeing this too......it is such a great pattern, and I think the colors that you two chose will turn out wonderfully! Please do NOT forget to post pictures of this one!!!!!

That is a gorgeous coat! I like that it doesn't have buttons....I like the wrap coats. Was that a free pattern, or did you have to get it from a book? I can't wait to see your new coat when it's finished...be sure to post a pic! :yes

The coat is gorgeous ! And, I think it's great that you're making something for yourself. :cheer Although most of us don't, or don't do it enough, we need to do "me" things. I hope you post a pic when you're finished.

That's the sweater I was trying to make when I was running around acting crazy about the gauge not matching.

I've given it up and gone on to a mesh scarf instead, but I'm going back to it, when I get my courage worked back up.

It's so pretty. It's hard to find a cute sweater with a hood.

:clap

DameErin, what part of the guage couldn't you match? Maybe I could help?

Don't worry peeps! I will post LOTS and LOTS of pics of both of ours!!!

Daisy, it was in the latest issue of Interweave Crochet - Fall 2006 - you have to buy the magazine.

In a bit, I will post some pics of the belts we did! :lol We have enough that we are going to work on one of the pockets now! :lol

I hadn't done in crocheting in about 100 years, when I saw that and wanted to try it. Hello! It was supposed to be "easy". I ran down to the Hobby Lobby and Miss Lady there told me to take the magazine and match up the width of the thread to the thread chart in the back of the magazine, and it should work. I got the Denimstyle, which is a 5 and I was supposed to have a 6. The really funny part is that I swapped to Light 'n Lofty; color Pheasant, which Wal-Mart is currently phasing out-of-stock. I think this sweater is not meant to be, but I am hard-headed! I will conquer this sweater.

It worked out better after I got all that figured out, but it took me a week, and much gnashing of teeth.

Back in the Middle Ages, if you wanted to crochet something, you went down to the 10 cent store and snatched up some Red Heart and went at it.

;)

Oh that's a great pattern KnicKnac. It'll look wonderful in your color and will be perfect for the cold weather that is already upon us.:wbrr

Thanks Roli!

DameErin - yeah, it takes a pretty thick yarn, one I never ever used before! The thing about guages is rough, but the thing about this pattern is that it really doesn't matter. When you work the first chain it doesn't go AROUND the body but from bottom one corner up around the neck and hood to the other corner, and then it gives you directions in inches. So if your off a bit your just gonna be off in length, not the actual fit.

Feel free to keep coming to this thread, I will keep it updated with progress - my friend and I are pretty fast crocheters so it really shouldn't take all that long, and that Thick and Quick stuff sure does work up QUICK! They weren't lying!

KnicKnac I cant WAIT to see yours!!! I've been eyeballing that one in my issue since I got it, but I dont have the time to make it right now. Your color choice sounds like it will make a beautiful coat!!! And it looks soooooo warm and toasty too!

Krystal

I am finding that I am envying people who can get crochet magazines. Guess I'll have to subscribe but I don't always want every issue of every magazine...oh well

I am beginning to see that I live in the craft boonies :rofl

I just finished a long sweater that looks almost identical to this one. Be careful with the weight of the yarn. Mine weighs itself longer than I stitched from the pattern. It's like a blanket. Really heavy too. I'll remake it in a lighter yarn next time.

I love the purple of this pattern. Pumpkin would be great too. I love that color. I'm not familiar with Lion Brand yarns (I've seen them online but not in my hands). What kind of yarn is wool ease?

Have fun with the project. I'd love to see a picture of how they turn out.

I am ACTUALLY crocheting something for myself!!! My friend and I are making the same thing, only in different colors. We just spent over $120 at Knitting Warehouse for the yarn, hopefully it will be here before the holidays so we can work a ton on it.

Here is the pattern, it's the coat called "Ultraviolet Coat"...she is doing it in Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in Pumpkin, and I am doing it in Charcoal.

We both bought a skien from Michaels today to see if we could match guage - so we made the belt and now we are FROTHING at the bit to continue on.

I haven't made something for myself in I don't know HOW long, and I really needed a winter coat, so what better way than to crochet something I like PLUS in a color I love!!!

What do you think???

Oh yeah Lea, that is the ONLY way I would even attempt something like this!!! Better to work on this with a friend. You should have seen us yesterday, working on the belt! :lol - if one of us got to the end of the row first we would wait for the other one to catch up. She thinks I am gonna work on it when she isn't around...no chance of that, she is spending the holidays with us! :lol

Kemberlee - thanks for the warning about the weight of the yarn! I know it's going to be heavy, but really, no heavier than a wool coat that is lined. It's taking me 14 skeins of yarn that is 6 oz each, that makes it about 5 - 6 pounds...not to bad. One of my sweaters that I wear pretty often is about 2.5 pounds and I don't even notice it on my body.

Darski...pm me your address please.

Krystal...I really think this is going to work up quick...it is a THICK yarn and it does move quite fast...will let you know how it goes!

JoAnn...that pineapple cardigan is to DIE for also! I just LOVE interweave crochet!!!

I am interested in seeing how this works up as I have made sweater/coats that I ended up frogging because they became coats and long coats at that :eek:rofl

I like the look of this pattern. Should be a good spectator sport while y'all get this made.

I hear ya Darski...what makes this one quite interesting is the way it's put together. The body, including the hood, is one continuous piece - then you seem and then add the sleeves. And I think the stitch combination was particular picked to not provide alot of stretching. It is really quite a unique coat.

Can't wait to get my yarn!!!

Archived